SASS Wire Forum

Super Henry (Full Race Henry)

The mag block dowel follower (whatever one wishes to call it) has never been questioned, as it is internal and does not affect the actual operating mechanism of the firearm...IMO.

That is not the issue in this case.

If the Fore stock addition gets approved, I would appreciate even a broken one that I could piece together for a pattern.

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

Let's straighten this out.  Cosmetic embellishments were approved a LONG time ago... not a "while".

From the 1989 SHB, "Contemporary rubber grips and modern target grips are not allowed. Replacement grips of wood, Ivory, pearl, stag horn, bone and the like are perfectly acceptable so long as they are not severely customized so as to constitute a "target" grip. That is, they must be of original shape and scale."

Checkering has always been included in the non-target grip classification.  Grips that included finger grooves and extended below the bottom of the backstrap were, and I believe still are, considered target grip enhancements, ergo, illegal.

As to the stick to avoid the "Henry Hop", while its use has been around for many years, I don't believe it's ever been submitted for approval.  But, on the other hand, is it really a modification to the firearm?  It does change the ergonomics of the gun, in that changes how one reacts the guns operation... or in its case, how one needn't react to the follower.

And as far as I remember a long time ago the wood, checkered grips had to be approved, and the Duke finger grips were approved and then rescinded. 

We play this game with equipment that resembles the historic guns or act like historic guns!  Nobody back in the day had short stroked Marlins or Winchesters, right?  These modifications were approved and for the players who could afford the kits and the installation fee were given an advantage over the players who could not! It would be interesting statistic to determine how many shooters today participating have s short stroke kit in their rifles. The wood checkered grips offer a better hold, especially done here in sweaty humid SE FL, but I personally don’t care about either as I play for fun and don’t give a damn about being competitive!  I cared about setting up, walking around healed, shooting my guns, tearing down and maintaining the scenarios and targets. I cared about helping as a Treasurer if my club because I am an accounting professional. And I cared about getting together with the same people and having fun. I did one time care about the Ammo we used to get a certain brand of .22s accepted to be used by buckeroos in my club. And there was one time when I came int first place in my category, the day I was the only one to shoot in my category!  

There was a time in this game were this sport was open to new ideas. The Big Boy is one example, even though my friend Phantom can’t stand them, so what?  If someone would rather shoot that and have fun instead of a race ready Marlin or 1873, let them!  Every single modification that has been approved was used in a match before being presented for approval, so why didn’t you all jump and down about that?  We have one shooter who likes to shoot an 1860 with a wood forearm and you would think he is trying to mass produce them for adoption and sale. With all of us getting older and possibly not strong enough to hold a rifle but could use a shooting stick, would we stop them from shooting or think of ways to allow them to shoot in a separate category with whatever additional means?  Isn’t the purpose of our game participation, yes with rules mainly to insure safety, but we want people shooting?  

AGAIN, I AM NOT SAYING THROW OUT THE RULES!!!!!  I  saying the rules might be “bent” in none regional, state or national matches at a club level for the local shoots. 

22 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

... Every single modification that has been approved was used in a match before being presented for approval, so why didn’t you all jump and down about that?

That is not so.
Many shooters (and manufacturers) have followed the necessary procedure for getting equipment/firearm modifications reviewed for approval before match use.

...I  saying the rules might be “bent” in non regional, state or national matches at a club level for the local shoots. 

The problem with "SASS rules don't apply at local monthly matches" is that both new and experienced shooters read about or see videos/photos of illegal equipment/practices without the caveat that they are not acceptable at higher-level competitions; leading to issues at those other matches.

58 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

And as far as I remember a long time ago the wood, checkered grips had to be approved, and the Duke finger grips were approved and then rescinded. 

We play this game with equipment that resembles the historic guns or act like historic guns!  Nobody back in the day had short stroked Marlins or Winchesters, right?  These modifications were approved and for the players who could afford the kits and the installation fee were given an advantage over the players who could not! It would be interesting statistic to determine how many shooters today participating have s short stroke kit in their rifles. The wood checkered grips offer a better hold, especially done here in sweaty humid SE FL, but I personally don’t care about either as I play for fun and don’t give a damn about being competitive!  I cared about setting up, walking around healed, shooting my guns, tearing down and maintaining the scenarios and targets. I cared about helping as a Treasurer if my club because I am an accounting professional. And I cared about getting together with the same people and having fun. I did one time care about the Ammo we used to get a certain brand of .22s accepted to be used by buckeroos in my club. And there was one time when I came int first place in my category, the day I was the only one to shoot in my category!  

There was a time in this game were this sport was open to new ideas. The Big Boy is one example, even though my friend Phantom can’t stand them, so what?  If someone would rather shoot that and have fun instead of a race ready Marlin or 1873, let them!  Every single modification that has been approved was used in a match before being presented for approval, so why didn’t you all jump and down about that?  We have one shooter who likes to shoot an 1860 with a wood forearm and you would think he is trying to mass produce them for adoption and sale. With all of us getting older and possibly not strong enough to hold a rifle but could use a shooting stick, would we stop them from shooting or think of ways to allow them to shoot in a separate category with whatever additional means?  Isn’t the purpose of our game participation, yes with rules mainly to insure safety, but we want people shooting?  

AGAIN, I AM NOT SAYING THROW OUT THE RULES!!!!!  I  saying the rules might be “bent” in none regional, state or national matches at a club level for the local shoots. 

What is wrong with... You throw stuff out there without any particular care for accuracy. Where did I say that I can't stand the Henry's?!!?? 

I'm a dealer ... Love them. Don't think they are best for our game.  Try and be more accurate in the future when using my name.

Phantom

I’ve kinda wondered about the Henry hop stick myowndangedself. 

If if I was in charge of gun mod rules my guideline would be “if Newly O’Brian could do it, it’s ok”! 

Wstchin for for an official answer.

18 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The mag block dowel follower (whatever one wishes to call it) has never been questioned, as it is internal and does not affect the actual operating mechanism of the firearm...IMO.

That is not the issue in this case.

Pale Wolf, with all due respect, I really don’t know which part you are referring to that needs to go to the rules committee.  I thought you were referring to the dowel.  Are you talking about the forend?

2 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Pale Wolf, with all due respect, I really don’t know which part you are referring to that needs to go to the rules committee.  I thought you were referring to the dowel.  Are you talking about the forend?

Yes.

With a standard front loading Henry, the wood forend would be questionable as would removal of the follower Thumb Button.  The thumb button is an external modification.  Just reviewing the conventions.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:28 PM, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

And if the club he shoots at allows him to use it, and he is not going to a SASS Regional shoot, then why the fuss?  Again isn't this supposed to be fun?  We allow checkered revolver grips, don't remember any back in history unless you are equating those with "notches" yet those are approved?  If the shooter isn't competitive, doesn't want to be and his/her club allows it then let it be!  As I stated before an old cowpoke told my son the the rebounfding hammer on the 1892 Winchester he was shooting was not legal at a SASS sponsored shoot.  It is he is wrong and there you go.  It's a game, and as long as no one is cheating to win a particular category, enjoy the variety.

Colt delivered “checked wood stocks” on single action revolvers at least as far back as 1889. I guess that count?

image.jpg

I got it 1889 to 1898.  But if that is the case then why do I remember there being a big deal about getting the checkered grips approved back in the 1990’s?  

So if I find a picture of a 1860 Henry with a forearm back before 1890, or someone who had grips with inlets for their fingers, then both are acceptable?

All I was trying to say is that when I started in the “game”, equipment was a lot more flexible and a lot less competitive. Everyone concentrated on having fun and get as many to join as we could. It was much more on the camaraderie and the fun of shooting the scenarios then who won the piece of paper at the end of the match for 1st thru 10th place!  I remember everyone would joke about being in 4th thru last place sitting around after the scenarios had been taken down and put away with the targets and stands. That was what was important, everyone having a good time and seeing each other!

So let’s just put this post to bed because I am not making any progress in convincing people as long as they are safe it really, really doesn’t matter what people use, as long as everyone has fun playing the game. Dropping the microphone! 

im enjoying the discourse , it is very interesting , i had not given a lot of thought to all of this before and im seeing the nuances of the discussion for the first time , thanks for all this great discussion , and i look forward to knowing what i might do with my 60 and still be in compliance , i will shoot it as made for now - have been , 

Just an attempt at comic relief to lighten the mood, but..... isn't "Race Henry" an oxymoron?:ph34r:

My 1860 Uberti Henry 45 colt has been short stroked but I will not call it race ready. I enjoy just shooting it at a match I did make a "safety stick" helps if the mag spring slips while loading.....IT JUST HAS A COOL FACTOR

Archived