SASS Wire Forum

Great Commercials

I used to like the Winston commercials, where Fred and Barney were kicked back against the side of the house smoking a cigarette, and Wilma and Betty were out cutting the yard and hanging up the laundry.

And the Plymouth commercials with the Jewish mama.

"Does this Bananacuda have torsion barbers for the superstension?"

After her daughter has almost orgasmed over all the technical goodies on the car, and has taken it for a test drive: "Tell me, Mr. Salesman, what kind of guy would be interested in this Plymouth Dustpan?"

"The Duster, Mama? Why, an engineer would love it!"

"An engineer I got. What I need now is a son-in-law."

Anyone remember, "See the USA in your Chevrolet"!!! As a kid I always loved that commercial!

Dinah Shore!:wub:

Our local Chevy dealer had a daughter. Carolyn. She was 14. He gave her a brand new Camaro. Zebra striped. She had someone that drove her around in it until she got old enough to drive it herself. EVERYBODY in the county knew "Carolyn's Camaro".

When she blew the horn, instead of going beep beep, Dinah Shore sang. SEE THE USA.

I think this was about 67, maybe 68.

She also used to do commercials for her daddy's car lot. This 16, 17 year old girl just sitting there behind a desk talking to you, telling you why you needed to buy a Chevrolet, all the while holding a big fat cigar between her fingers. Didn't smoke it - just held it. Twiddled it. Always ended the commercials the same way.

"Tell 'em 'Carolyn sent you'. I need the commissions."

Good commercial. Pushes hard on that suspension of disbelief thing, though.

I'm not sure, but I think Gibson Les Pauls are in the four-figure price range.

Stranger walks up to me and says, "Hey. Can I handle your multi-thousand-dollar whatever?", I'm gonna say, "Hell no. Go away old man".

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Good commercial. Pushes hard on that suspension of disbelief thing, though.

I'm not sure, but I think Gibson Les Pauls are in the four-figure price range.

Stranger walks up to me and says, "Hey. Can I handle your multi-thousand-dollar whatever?", I'm gonna say, "Hell no. Go away old man".

A new Gibson Les Paul can be had new starting around $1,600, going up to around $2,500. A recent vintage used one, can be had for under a grand.

Now, here's the funny thing. Some guitarists are a lot like SASS shooters. I've talked to guitarists out playing between sets, and shown an interest in their guitar, "nice guitar, is that a...?" they almost always ask me if I play. I always respond "poorly," or something of that nature, but I have had several offer me their guitar to handle and try out. It seemed the nicer the guitar, the more likely they were to offer. One guitarist let me try out his 1954 Fender Telecaster. It was probably worth more than the new car I had at the time.

I liked the commercials for the old VW Beetle. 

Beetle driving around in circles with a buzzing sound when, suddenly, a huge flyswatter comes down on it.  Silence for about a second, then, the Beetle continues driving around in circles.

Then, for some unrecalled reason, a Beetle is floating on a small lake.  I can attest to that one.  You could feel the air compression when you slammed the door on one with the windows up.  I once floated across a flooded intersection while crossing a road.

There were others, but those two stuck with me.

Angus

47 minutes ago, DocWard said:

but I have had several offer me their guitar to handle and try out

Jeff Cooper said you should never ask to look at another man's gun. That's impolite, as it puts him in the awkward position of having to tell you NO. If he wants to let you handle it, he will offer.

I have let people, that I've never seen before in my life, shoot some of my guns that are worth close to $20,000.00. My choice. I offered.

You said them pickeres OFFERED to let you play their guitar.

There's a difference in me making an offer, and someone walking up and asking.

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Jeff Cooper said you should never ask to look at another man's gun. That's impolite, as it puts him in the awkward position of having to tell you NO. If he wants to let you handle it, he will offer.

I have let people, that I've never seen before in my life, shoot some of my guns that are worth close to $20,000.00. My choice. I offered.

You said them pickeres OFFERED to let you play their guitar.

There's a difference in me making an offer, and someone walking up and asking.

I agree, and fair enough. However, I still don't think it takes the willing suspension of disbelief very far, and still fit in with a thirty second commercial spot.

16 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I liked the commercials for the old VW Beetle

There was one where the guy had kept careful records for a year, five years, ten years, however long it was. And now he's driving along like Paul Revere, yelling out the window at the top of his lungs, "TWO PENNIES A MILE!, IT COST TWO PENNIES A MILE!!"

Seems like there was one where the man drove the snow plow - kept it at his house, and he shows up at work in his Beetle. He said the roads were too bad to drive the plow to work.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

There was one where the guy had kept careful records for a year, five years, ten years, however long it was. And now he's driving along like Paul Revere, yelling out the window at the top of his lungs, "TWO PENNIES A MILE!, IT COST TWO PENNIES A MILE!!"

Seems like there was one where the man drove the snow plow - kept it at his house, and he shows up at work in his Beetle. He said the roads were too bad to drive the plow to work.

The VW Beetle was the best car I ever drove in the snow.  It was amazing the number of times I passed other cars stuck along the side of the road, snowbound.

The one time I almost got stuck in the snow was because I got cocky.  I was driving through about 6" of snow up a fairly steep driveway into work and there were 3-4 other cars ahead of me spinning their wheels trying to get up the incline.  I stopped behind them for a few seconds before trying to go around them.  It took a couple seconds before I got traction (all the while calling myself an idiot for coming to a full stop on a snow covered incline) but, once I got started forward I had no problem driving around them up the hill.

Angus

2 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I liked the commercials for the old VW Beetle. 

Beetle driving around in circles with a buzzing sound when, suddenly, a huge flyswatter comes down on it.  Silence for about a second, then, the Beetle continues driving around in circles.

Then, for some unrecalled reason, a Beetle is floating on a small lake.  I can attest to that one.  You could feel the air compression when you slammed the door on one with the windows up.  I once floated across a flooded intersection while crossing a road.

Just be careful not to fart in one...

98a612ced1e4083e41462d36686578c0.jpg

The Bud commercials with the Clydesdale have always been good. The ones with the Budweiser frogs and friends were even better.

I do like the ones from Armortech, never fail to mention that they are American made in this country. An cudo to Jack Links for the humor with Sasquatch also.

My all time favorite was the Budweiser commercials with the frogs, Frank & Louie the lizards, and the ferret.

Here are all those great Budweiser swamp commercials in order and you can follow the whole exciting story. 

• 1 month later...

I just saw another of a series of commercials I like.

The mom and daughter Jergens commercials are rather cute. Lines that made me laugh are as follow.

Mom: I don't have tan lines.

Daughter: I hope it is due to Jergens'... not a nude beach situation.

Mom: Smirks.

Mom: Enters bathroom where daughter is showering.

Daughter: I locked the door.

Mom: Smirks and says "locks."

35 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Here is another good one.

One ass whoopin’ comin’ right up. 

I liked the old Dodge Dakota commercial where a guy used his 4x4 to help a 1800s family get their covered wagon across a river or something. The little pioneer girl and her doll rode in the cab with him. When the wagon was on the other side the girl jumped out of the truck and ran back to her family. In an instant, the wagon was gone. The man went back to his truck as if it was all a dream but there was the doll. I couldn't find that commercial on youtube. But it stuck with me. I still own a Dakota 4x4.

I also like te old International Scout commercials where their tooling around the mountains with the song "Scout the America others pass by..."

On 6/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

My dad told the story of when he was in the Navy a 100 years ago. One of the carriers was in port and had their VW bus up on the flight deck. Some one didn't set the brake when they got out and it ended up rolling off the ship into the water where it floated. They quickly sent a swimmer out to tie a line on it so it wouldn't float away. He tied the line to the door handle. This was fine until the point when the line became taught, the door opened and the bus sank.

Archived