Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Post up pics of your BBQ guns!!!


Boomstick Bruce

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

It depends on the Bar-B-Que.

3D246AE2-079A-47A6-ABE8-F6C90336A7AF.jpeg

28ED8CBE-67D4-43A2-A23E-5FD82F3423BF.jpeg

A2341065-83AE-4DF5-87B6-091BE79E3BBA.jpeg

It looks like we're both carrying 1911 type guns in very similar holsters.  Mine is a Colt Commander in a Wilson Combat holster which I carry at 4 o'clock position.  I've never seen grips like that on a 1911, what type are they and are they ivory?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It looks like we're both carrying 1911 type guns in very similar holsters.  Mine is a Colt Commander in a Wilson Combat holster which I carry at 4 o'clock position.  I've never seen grips like that on a 1911, what type are they and are they ivory?

 

The pistol is a Lightweight Commander 45acp.  I made the grips from a piece of ivory that I bought in Hong Kong in 1968 for $10 US.  I wish I’d bought a lot more at those prices.  I bought the gun from a friend when he was leaving Vietnam and carried it for the remaining 6 years I was there (but not in that holster). I made the grips which were pattered after a picture I saw in Guns and Ammo magazine that Jeff Cooper had on his 1911.  (He later decided that stock grips were better.).  The holster was made by “Ken Smith Maker”, Kissimmee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

 

The pistol is a Lightweight Commander 45acp.  I made the grips from a piece of ivory that I bought in Hong Kong in 1968 for $10 US.  I wish I’d bought a lot more at those prices.  I bought the gun from a friend when he was leaving Vietnam and carried it for the remaining 6 years I was there (but not in that holster). I made the grips which were pattered after a picture I saw in Guns and Ammo magazine that Jeff Cooper had on his 1911.  (He later decided that stock grips were better.).  The holster was made by “Ken Smith Maker”, Kissimmee.

6 years in Vietnam! Wow! I’m young enough to have missed that.

 

I like that pistol and rig.  They look good and I’m sure they do what they are designed to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This Feller mite'a took "BBQ Guns" a bit too Literally..................

 

burnt_shotgun-revolver.jpg.707a560f8d7c4cb1cb51efb259013b36.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

i picked up one this past weekend by a pure fluke - its not in my caliber , its 357- i shoot 45 colt , its an engrave EMF GWII "liberty" 4 3/4" , it will have to do for this service as i doubt ill shoot it ,

 

still has that little plastic spacer in the cylinder/frame that comes from the factory , plastc wrap and cosmo substance , still in the original wrapper/ never whipped down  - original box-with all the paper including the original sales slip ,

 

nothing i would normally buy , i got just the holsters for it and i got a good enough buy ill not probably hesitate to carry it at a BBQ down the road , i would never have guessed id post to this thread this way ,

 

i do have an 1880s-90s original S&W model one that i have suspenders being made for with integral holster - that was my planned BBQ gun 

Link to post
Share on other sites

678BB8DC-2190-46DE-A21A-F3FA0EB64295.thumb.jpeg.ed091787ae4bb4caa01bdb762963c00e.jpeg955DE0BC-F287-4C83-AD9A-1C242D16D630.thumb.jpeg.b0aa02c2a512dd31c0277b2664909cde.jpegAC808E57-8F72-4430-969A-08F7D089C2CB.thumb.jpeg.9415949be7564194984bee44e4e77a5e.jpegC2471E65-0924-49D2-89FF-4384FCA42396.thumb.jpeg.577da949d61f75b15072c80606901870.jpeg

 

An engraved 2nd gen SAA with checkered ivory grips, two engraved Henry’s and an 1866.  The middle Henry is a copy of the one owned by a relative, Captain Samual Hymer, who was awarded the Medal of Honor in the civil war. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

 

Joe Perkins, Outlaw Custom Grips.   Tucson, Arizona

Excellent. He’s on my short list for grip work on my next project. Probably at the top after seeing yours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe does an excellent job, has lots of material to choose from. Living in Arizona, I visited his shop in Tucson and selected the Wood from his stock blanks.

Not shown is the Palm swell I had him do on the left side. Here it is. Makes for very accurate off hand hold. This is one accurate 45 Cimarron. Engraving is by; Jim Downing, The Gun Engraver. Also note the Wood too Metal fit of the grips.

Colt grip & backstrap.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't go in for the fancy engraving.  My BBQ guns are selected for cool factor. 

 

Like this 1st gen colt made in 1877 I believe. 

Colt3.thumb.jpg.3877cd2590b7196cdb7edfc1bb2d8332.jpg

 

Or this US&S 1911A1 from WW2

 

1559083995_USS4.thumb.jpg.481404877fe932525592082121766911.jpg

 

Or this 1911 replica made by colt in 2011.  I don't like shooting this one because it bites me, so I might as well wear it to BBQs. 

 

1911-2011.thumb.jpg.8ebb4c1ff377219de3111886244b7ce7.jpg

 

I don't have pictures of the holsters, but I have a replica GI holster for the 1911s and an old basket weave with a paddle that shows them off better. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see there are a lot of 1911 aficionados here! I don't know if it fits the definition of a BBQ gun, but I am quite sure it is unique. I had 1992 Ciener .22 conversion kit top end gathering dust, so in 2013 at a gun show I bought an Olympic Arms Matchmaster carbon steel stripped frame in the white (factory second because of casting gas holes) and used SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue parts to finish it. The parts fitting took over 3 months (a couple of hours every couple of days), and the frame/MSH were parked by the Oly factory (about an hour's drive away). I used a Wolff 19# mainspring (instead of the 23# .45 spring) as it is a .22 blowback. 4# trigger pull. It shoots very well even with fixed sights!

 

Parkerized parts hold oil very well, and that is why you can see oil "stains" on the rear of the parked frame in the photo.

 

Jim

 

1911-Project-020.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

 

Or this 1911 replica made by colt in 2011.  I don't like shooting this one because it bites me, so I might as well wear it to BBQs. 

 

1911-2011.thumb.jpg.8ebb4c1ff377219de3111886244b7ce7.jpg

 

 

 

I can see why it bites the web of your hand.  It appears to me to be a grip safety meant for a Colt Commander for use with the rounded Commander hammer. All you need to do is replace it with a Colt (or similar) Government Model grip safety so that the hammer spur contacts the grip safety extension when the slide is rearward upon firing the pistol and not your hand. Then it will be a shooter, not a BBQ gun. BTW, nice looking LNIB gun!

 

Jim

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always liked the clean lines of the 1911. It's one of those designs that never seems to go out of style. If it is a younger crowd (under 40)BBQ, the the Gold Cup will come along. The gold Colt grip medallion gives just a bit of bling to catch the eye. For a an older crowd, especially one that appreciates weapons, the Pre-war Government Model (1931) will be my guest.

1911s.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy

 

How about a double action Merwin Hulbert 38?

 

38%20Merwin%20Hulbert%2001_zpsed0kxn4y.j

 

 

 

 

Or perhaps a Remington Double Derringer.

 

Remington%20Double%20Derringer%2001%20En

 

 

 

 

Or something really easy to hide away, a Smith and Wesson Ladysmith?

 

Ladysmith%201st%20Model%2001_zpsqejkprci

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting these pics for my good pard Coffinmaker:

 

His Capt. Schaeffer Replicants

 

Coffinmaker's Custom Marshal Snubbies

 

Coffinmaker's Custom 1860 Conversions

 

 

 

 

Coffinmaker's Capt. Schaeffer Replicants.jpg

Coffinmaker's  Custom Marshal Snubbies.jpg

Coffinmaker's Custom 1860 Conversions.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Posting these pics for my good pard Coffinmaker:

 

His Capt. Schaeffer Replicants

 

Coffinmaker's Custom Marshal Snubbies

 

Coffinmaker's Custom 1860 Conversions

 

 

 

 

Coffinmaker's Capt. Schaeffer Replicants.jpg

Coffinmaker's  Custom Marshal Snubbies.jpg

Coffinmaker's Custom 1860 Conversions.jpg

 

Coffinmaker was kind enough to put his mark on two of these for me.....but mine are (ahem!) longer than his......

 

The 1911 is a Para Slim Hawg, with pre-ban ivory.

LL

 

 

DSCN2116.JPG

IMG_0700.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

S&W 49 done many years ago by a gunsmith friend, my main match 73 with Jim Downing engraving and Turnbull CCH, my Great Grandfathers deer gun, factory engraved Savage 99 in 300 Savage.  While they're all pretty, they also all get shot!

 

002.thumb.JPG.57f940a523d9fabf4e85b82ce0f78b0d.JPG

engraved 73 007.jpg

GP99 012.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, sourdoughjim said:

I can see why it bites the web of your hand.  It appears to me to be a grip safety meant for a Colt Commander for use with the rounded Commander hammer. All you need to do is replace it with a Colt (or similar) Government Model grip safety so that the hammer spur contacts the grip safety extension when the slide is rearward upon firing the pistol and not your hand. Then it will be a shooter, not a BBQ gun. BTW, nice looking LNIB gun!

 

My understanding is that's how the original 1911s were made.  They later improved them with the extended grip safety.  Then way down the line they replaced the hammer with the ugly bubble looking rounded thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

some BBQs are rougher than others , ive not been to the bad side in many years , but there was a time , a lifetime ago , today we just enjoy the food , compare fun things like events and purchases , talk up old times and go home to bed .......gettin old aint for sissys 

but if i get invited i can come prepared 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.