SASS Wire Forum

Help with '73 Rifle

Wild Will Bartell

I smoothed out the action pretty good on my new-to-me '73. The only thing remaining is to remove the excessive creep from the trigger. It's so bad, that if I pull the trigger on stage 1, the hammer doesn't let off until stage 2. I haven't attempted any trigger work on a '73 rifle yet, and I would be appreciative of any tips or techniques anyone could send my way.

Thanks!

WWB

It’s real easy to mess up a hammer and seat fast I took my lower tang assembly off the rifle with the hammer and everything still in place and sent it to Cody Conagar of codymatics and he honed it to the desired trigger set weight I asked he charged me a lot less then the cost of the parts if you mess them up give him a call

It’s not unusual for the trigger of an a Uberti to flop around a bit, it’s in two pieces. Slick McClade sells replacement triggers that I’ve heard solve that problem. I’m sure others do as well. Another solution is having a gunsmith weld it, remove the lever safety and set the pull and travel however you prefer. That’s what was done to our three Ubertis. Mine barely moves and is set at 20 ounces.

Removal of the lever safety on a 73 Win, or replica, and then trying to fire and work the action rapidly is a great way to get an out-of-battery discharge, and get hot gasses + whatever back in your face.   Also a great way to stress the toggles and hinge pins in the action, by discharging rounds before the toggles are in perfect alingnment.  

It's not so much the trigger flopping around that bothers me, it's the excessive amount of creep that occurs after the upper sear is fully seated in the full cock notch of the hammer. I was wondering if there's a jig that can be purchased, or maybe a technique that's out there that would allow me to reduce the bearing surface of the full cock notch on the hammer, similar to the technique of reducing the height of the hammer hooks on a 1911. I believe this would help eliminate a lot of the creep that I'm experiencing in the let-off.

31 minutes ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

It's not so much the trigger flopping around that bothers me, it's the excessive amount of creep that occurs after the upper sear is fully seated in the full cock notch of the hammer. I was wondering if there's a jig that can be purchased, or maybe a technique that's out there that would allow me to reduce the bearing surface of the full cock notch on the hammer, similar to the technique of reducing the height of the hammer hooks on a 1911. I believe this would help eliminate a lot of the creep that I'm experiencing in the let-off.

When he gets back from EOT Boomstick Jay should be able to fix you up.

You going to shoot Cody Dixon Sat?

I replaced my stock Uberti triggers with SLIX Straight Competition Triggers.  They are great.  They eliminated nearly all of the trigger backlash/free-play, and their straight design makes for a shorter trigger pull length.  The only downside is that you have to start out slow in getting used to them.  Until you develop the rhythm and muscle memory, it's pretty easy to spear a trigger finger, catching it between the trigger tip and lever.  They're available from Badman Bullets, and possibly other vendors.  

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When he gets back from EOT Boomstick Jay should be able to fix you up.

You going to shoot Cody Dixon Sat?

Yep, for sure. My new front sight for the '95 Marlin came in and I installed it today. Can't wait to shoot it.

8 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

BUY a  66 !!!

Jabez Cowboy

But it's antiquated don't you know!  After all, it doesn't have a lever safety and the 'experts' are telling us without one we are very likely to "get an out-of-battery discharge, and get hot gasses + whatever back in your face.   Also a great way to stress the toggles and hinge pins in the action, by discharging rounds before the toggles are in perfect alingnment."

We wouldn't want that would we?  /sarc off

18 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

We wouldn't want that would we?  

MOST of us would not.   

Those kinds of gun mishaps are just like misses on big, close-in targets.  They seem unlikely or impossible until they happen.  

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

MOST of us would not.   

Those kinds of gun mishaps are just like misses on big, close-in targets.  They seem unlikely or impossible until they happen.  

Some of us don't think it's a real risk, but if it is, shouldn't you object to 66s as well as 73s without a lever safety?  Or is the lack of a lever safety in a 66 OK with you?

59 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Some of us don't think it's a real risk, but if it is, shouldn't you object to 66s as well as 73s without a lever safety?  Or is the lack of a lever safety in a 66 OK with you?

I wasn't really looking to start or perpetuate any debate or  argument here.  I was only really putting some factual input into the mix here so people can decide for themselves.  Sounds like you have your decision and I have mine.  So we're both good.  Right? 

But has it occurred to you that the reasons why the lever safety was added to the 73 may have been the problems I mentioned occurring in the 66?  Just asking. :)

DDD

No offense, but I'm not sure saying removing the lever safety is a good way to get the things you described is a 'factual statement' I think it's actually an opinion.  I'm unaware of this ever happening to a cowboy shooter due to a lack of a lever safety.  Do you know of any instances where this has happened?

You are correct though, I have made my decision, which is that I'm not particularly concerned about this 'problem'.

"I'm unaware of this ever happening to a cowboy shooter ......……………"

Unfortunately, it has happened a number times over the past years. At least over the years from 2000 to about 2010. I started with a 20" '73 in 45 Colt  without a safety spring and for the least 15 years use a 22" '73 without a safety spring. But then I came from a different era and do not use the robotic arm such as Deuce and others. I have never had an OOB discharge. 

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You are correct though, I have made my decision, which is that I'm not particularly concerned about this 'problem'.

That works fine for me.  Best of luck and be sure to wear those shooting glasses - - both in matches and in practice sessions.   

Maybe we'll have a chance to shoot together some time.  I look forward to it.  DDD

24 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

"I'm unaware of this ever happening to a cowboy shooter ......……………"

Unfortunately, it has happened a number times over the past years. At least over the years from 2000 to about 2010. I started with a 20" '73 in 45 Colt  without a safety spring and for the least 15 years use a 22" '73 without a safety spring. But then I came from a different era and do not use the robotic arm such as Deuce and others. I have never had an OOB discharge. 

Nor have I, nor any of the multiple shooters I know who don't have lever safeties.  You say it's happened a number of times, any specific incidents you recall?

Not with a 73, and not bad enough to bend anything that I could tell. I have had two incidents with a 66' in which I pulled the trigger just a touch too early and it managed to set off the primer; stung my hand pretty good when the action was thrown open. To each there own, I'll not own another 66' or 73' that doesn't have a hammer block/lever safety. If I could put a lever safety in a 66, I'd sell all my 73's and buy another tomorrow.

CBB, its been awhile but the one that sticks in my mind was with a '66. Bolt broke the shooters glasses. Sometimes when a shooter shakes his hand briskly after firing a '73, you just saw a OOB discharge. 

I have been told afterwards at the time of the OOBs that it really screws with the whole hand. 

It occurs to me that I shoot with the thumb over the stock/grip (stays there the whole string) and I simply open my fingers flicking the lever. Guess I get it closed in an ergonomic fashion.

TC, I could not (now) get used to that straight stock. All my '73s have pistol grips.

2 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

TC, I could not (now) get used to that straight stock. All my '73s have pistol grips.

And I can't for the life of me shoot a pistol grip, that why they make them different though ;)

A 66 as designed is safer than a 73 with the safety removed .... One Functions as designed ,, the other was designed to be safe with the ADDED safety removing the safety makes Lawyers Happy ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived