SASS Wire Forum

Diagram to Convert Rossi 38 Spl to 32-20

John Boy

There was instructions posted somewhere to shim the right cartridge guide on a Rossi 38 Spl to 32-20.  Anyone have the instructions or know where it was posted? Specifically the diagram & width of the shim under the right cartridge guide

Thanks for Looking

No.  I know nothing of the referenced diagram.  However, the right side cartridge guide should be shimmed until the guide just "kisses" the side of the cartridge.  This dimension will vary from gun to gun.  You can get really close by using a blade type feeler gauge between cartridge and guide.

Joe - am deeply indebted to you for finding the detailed information.  And as always, to Marauder for his informative website

Here's the Rossi Cartridge Guide article, in detail ... http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_cartridge_guide.htm

Rossi 38 Spl modified for 32-20 with a TJ liner is complete with a 25 thousands shim behind the right cartridge guide. Chambers slow and fast with no chambering or extraction issues. Am I Happy?  Yes sir indeed, the caliber Rossi never made :D

And again Jackrabbit Joe - a Big Thanks

I'm amazed that more CAS folks are not interested to convert the Rossi 38 Spl to 32-20:

* A used Winchester 32-20 runs between $1200 to $2000

* The Rossi 1892, 38 Spl new runs between $500 to $650 - mines a 20" barrel

* A TJ 'hammered land & groove' liner, one of the most accurate liners runs $120

* Relining the Rossi 38 Spl can cost $125 to $200

A piece shim stock is peanuts

So on the low end comparative cost ... one can save $450 for a caliber that is really fun to shoot and accurate out to 200 yds

Yo John Boy glad everything went well for you pilgrim. Good shooting.

Jackrabbit Joe

Archived