SASS Wire Forum

WAVE3 News National Anthem

Subdeacon Joe

Wow.

Too bad the guy can't execute a proper hand salute. (even if he is Air Force) ;)

11 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

What's wrong with his hand salute

At a guess, the palm forward, bent thumb, and hand floating in the air.

what says he's Air Force??

Again,  a guess, but I'm thinking camo pattern.

I'll go with Bob on this one, you would think that a company that is going to do this would have, even if an actor, a slaute that was USMA parade ground perfect.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Wow.

Too bad the guy can't execute a proper hand salute. (even if he is Air Force) ;)

Loved the singer’s voice, and glad to see a tv station playing the anthem daily. 

But I noticed the salute too. Shouldn’t be able to see the palm.  Guy looked like he was auditioning for the Benny Hill show. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

WOW!!

What's wrong with his hand salute and what says he's Air Force??  An Actor perhaps??  Some quick to criticize aren't we ??

It's a great video otherwise!

But yes I am quick to criticize  when I see things like incorrect uniforming or military procedures.

He's wearing Air Force camo pattern. And the guy is not wearing headgear.

I can't stand inaccuracy....except in my shooting. :D

The hand salute is a one-count movement. The command is Present, ARMS. When wearing headgear with a visor (with or without glasses), on the command of execution ARMS, raise the right hand sharply, fingers and thumb extended and joined, palm facing down, and place the tip of the right forefinger on the rim of the visor slightly to the right of the right eye. The outer edge of the hand is barely canted downward so that neither the back of the hand nor the palm is clearly visible from the front. The hand and wrist are straight, the elbow inclined slightly forward, and the upper arm horizontal

salute.jpg

30 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Loved the singer’s voice, and glad to see a tv station playing the anthem daily. 

But I noticed the salute too. Shouldn’t be able to see the palm.  Guy looked like he was auditioning for the Benny Hill show. 

:D:lol:

Salute4.jpg

As a young Marine Corps midshipman, I was about to enter a building just an Air Force bird colonel was existing. I popped off my best parade ground salute and said, "Good morning, sir!" What I received more resembled an attempt to swat a fly then it did a salute. I was not impressed. :(

If you're going to do something, do it right!!  This goes double for the hand salute during the National Anthem. Morons that that jerk give the AF a bad name. When I went through basic in '54, if you didn't render the hand salute correctly, you ran around the drill field till yu could do it in your sleep.

Other than that that girl did a super job on singing our National Anthem.

I didn’t dislike President Obama as much as some in the Saloon, but his “coffee cup salute” really torqued my nuts. I’d rather be ignored than given a sloppy salute. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/obama-salutes-marines-while-holding-coffee-cup/

The “I have a migraine” salute

9D4B9EF1-5F8A-464D-B1BD-4129B64101B9.jpeg

Oh, don't get me wrong ..... I personally can't stand a sloppy salute.  26 Years Active duty you see.  I have also had Officers return a salute as more of an afterthought than a sign of respect.  HOWEVER:  That slow as molasses sloppy salute wasn't taught or practiced in ANY of our military branches.  Including the Coasties.  Atributing it to a particular branch is a dis-service to any branch.  As I see it, and saw the presentation, the folks stuffed a "pretty" actor in sort of military clothes (no grade displayed, nothing) and said "do this" and do it real "dramatic."  I would have preferred they do NOTHING.

I sure hope he’s just a model.

I think they coulda found a vet within shouting distance, or a Boy Scout.

Nevertheless, the rest of the vid is great.

57 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It's a fine and all-to-rare video, especially in our current political environment. The guy is on screen for what 1.5 seconds?  Kinda like trashing "The Searchers" because JW uses an 1892.

JMO. Carry on.

Never trashed the video. Just the faux serviceman.

Nice video. I love that they play it daily.

The salute is pretty poor...my guess is he’s definitely not a real military man. 

Reminds me when I was a boy and tv stations used to actually go off the air at night and come back on in the morning. Our local station plated High Flight when they went off and the National Anthem in the morning. Sometimes I snuck out of bed to watch.

Archived