SASS Wire Forum

The All Mare's Leg Side Match

I have this bizarre idea.   (So what else is new?)  When I saw that Chiappa was marketing a kind of Mare's Leg...  Wait...

Mare's Leg

Mares Leg

Mare's Laig

Mares Laig

Which one is correct?  I've seen them all.

Anyway...

When I saw that Chiappa was marketing a (however it's spelled) version of the Model 87 shot gun, my first reaction was, "I want one."  I have a real Winchester, and I really like it, but all of the reproductions out there either have short barrels, or screw in chokes.   I want neither.  Just a plain 30" barrel with a full choke.   But let that go.

When I saw the "pistolized" version of the 87, I thought it was really cool.   I'm saving my pennies, and I will get on eventually.   But then I thought that it would be nice to have a traditional 92 based one to go with it.  THEN I thought it would nice to have one of those exceedingly rare Lightning Bolt's made my AWA that is essentially a Mares Leg based on the Colt Lightning.

THEN I thought, "Gee, why not a side match where you use two Mare's Leg type pistols, and the Chiappa shotgun?"  Might be fun.  Pistols could be any type/maker of the Mare's Laig (see, I am using all the potential spellings...) be they based on the 92 or something else.   There wouldn't really be a rifle in this side match, or maybe you could stipulate the use of a Hollywood Henry.  (In the most broad sense of the term)   Unless that would make it to complicated.

Then I realized that I can't do it.  You can't buy a Mares Laig in Massachusetts, so I'd be unable to do it unless someone loaned me their guns or if I went the NFA 34 route and made "real" ones.   More trouble than it's worth though...

But, the idea still has merit, doesn't it?

9 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Two holsters for two mare's legs?  I'd have to wear 4 pairs of suspenders to hold that rig up.

Well, why not?  In for a penny, in for a pound.   You gotta have some fun. 

Personally I'd wanna do it with a 92 and a Lightning Bolt, but I'm weird.  

Plus, every holster I've ever seen for one of these things is right handed, which is just annoying.

Archived