SASS Wire Forum

'73 Stainless Magazine Tube

Somewhere around 2009-10 I purchased a couple of stainless magazine tubes for 20" Taylor's (Uberti) '73 rifles. Purchased them from a shooter out of Louisiana who had them made at a machine shop IIRC.  About a month ago a pard asked me if I knew where to get one.  I told him I'd not actually seen them for sale that I recalled.  Got me to thinkin' so I started asking and looking around.  Seems they're mighty rare, at least from what I'm seeing.  Anyone know if they are still available anywhere?  If not, wonder why?

7 minutes ago, Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705 said:

Somewhere around 2009-10 I purchased a couple of stainless magazine tubes for 20" Taylor's (Uberti) '73 rifles. Purchased them from a shooter out of Louisiana who had them made at a machine shop IIRC.  About a month ago a pard asked me if I knew where to get one.  I told him I'd not actually seen them for sale that I recalled.  Got me to thinkin' so I started asking and looking around.  Seems they're mighty rare, at least from what I'm seeing.  Anyone know if they are still available anywhere?  If not, wonder why?

You can try Longhunter and Shotgun Boogie.  Both have them.

Hello Titus,

I believe I got mine from Jimmy Spurs.  

He seems like a good, honest, and trusting man.  

I got it super-fast, right after I ordered it.  

He sells other handy and practical items and will talk to you promptly by email.

I hope this has helped.

Mo

Hey all, thanks for the responses.  I've done some looking online, checked the websites of the three gunsmiths mentioned above, as well as others.  I've found stainless mag springs and followers but not replacement stainless mag tubes.  Several places have the aluminum sleeve/insert that fits inside the mag tube.  While that can be advantageous, that's not what I'm referring to.  I've yet to contact any of these folks by phone or email to see if they have said item(even though they aren't listed on any of their websites) or know where they can be found.  I'll let ya know what they've got to say.

Hey, Titus!!  Was it Slick McClade!!

Well, I said I'd update y'all if I found anything out.  Did a bunch more internet searching.....nothing found.  Got email responses from Longhunter and Shotgun Boogie.  No go.  Longhunter did remember when Matt Masterson had them for a year or two back when I bought mine from him, but hadn't seen any since.  His advice to me.....hang on to what ya got cause they're rare.

Titus A. Gnatsass <titusagnatsass@gmail.com>

Jun 17, 2019, 7:16 AM (1 day ago)

My reason for contacting you...I purchased a couple of replacement stainless steel magazine tubes for a couple of Uberti '73 rifles .357mag w/20'' barrels, from a shooter out of Louisiana back around 2010.  I've seen several of these around over the years, but was recently asked if I knew where one could be purchased.  After a fair amount of asking around and checking websites, I can't seem to find them.  I'm aware of the aluminum sleeve/insert for alignment purposes, that's not what I'm referring to, I'm inquiring about an actual stainless replacement for the factory steel tube.  Checking to see if you know anything about them, if you have them, or know where they may be had.

Thanks in advance,

Titus A. Gnatsass

Long Hunter's  

Jun 17, 2019, 7:34 AM (1 day ago)

Hello,

Matt Parker made them for a couple of years during that time frame. They are no longer available. If you have one, hang on to it.

Thanks,

Long Hunter's

I'll kick this back to the top periodically for a couple of weeks, lots of folks not paying much attention to the Wire right now due to EOT. 

The search continues

Titus

On 6/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705 said:

I know a few people who have or had them and I always thought it was a good upgrade. I was told he quit making them due to production costs, which if true is makes sense. 

If they are ever available again I'd certainly buy a couple.

CBG

25 minutes ago, Charles B. Gatewood SASS #48517 said:

True. I thought about contacting Swagelok or some other supplier to see if the tube dimensions would be standard or custom.

CBG

I'd think one would be able to measure the tube that's on their and get that size tube somewhere like https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/material?q=%3Aprice-asc%3AMaterial%3AStainless%3AShape%3ARound%2BTube&checkbox=on#

cut to length, thread one end for the cap, some kind of insert to stop the follower, drill hole for the hanger, polish it up nice...

46 minutes ago, Mr w said:

Does anyone have the dimensions 

O.D. = .65

I.D. = .55

No idea what thread the end cap is. I think the frame stops the follower so probably nothing needed on the other end.

Just now, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

I'll look into having them made , if there is enough call and at a reasonable price I'll have them made to go along with my allen tube plugs. 

willie

I was just going to comment, I bet Scrub Oak Willie knows what threads to use for the end cap ;)

Might take a couple of weeks to get the info. Maybe I could have the whole mag tube made with the inside dimensions for .38 with my allen head plug made out of 

anodized aluminum. Dont know if there would be a call for the whole thing or not, or just the S.S. insert.

Wilie

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't know about the hangar though.  I don't think it's a hole, I think they're dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel. Right?

Willie if you get these, let me know, they'll go well with the end caps I got from you.

The hanger itself is dovetailed, but there is a pin that goes through the top of the hanger and a groove in the top of the tube that holds it in place from sliding out the end.

55 minutes ago, Mudslide Mike said:

"The Online Outpost" carries Them for the 73 and 66.

Howdy.....I looked on the website and did not find them.  Can you please provide a link to the page where you found these online?  TIA

Kajun

2 minutes ago, Mudslide Mike said:

Hi Mike, I hope you're doing well!  That link is to an insert, people on this thread are looking to replace the whole tube. 

Ah, I see.  No.  The OP is looking for a complete replacement magazine tube in Stainless Steel.  That link takes us to a "liner" for .38s.  Not a complete Stainless Replacement.

Just looked at VTI gun parts , they list at least four different part # for the magazine tube , octagon , 1/2 rd. , round , plus a few different lengths. Length would be no 

problem but if there are different tubes for different barrel configurations it might be cost prohibitive. Will have to do a little more research, unless someone knows

if they are all the same except the length.

Willie

Let me do a little looking tomorrow.  I know when I researched this out years ago, I could get SS tubes from McCaster that were a perfect match for the tubes I have.  Just needed threading for the end cap and the notch cut for the pin to hold the tube on.  Im pretty sure all tubes were the same size.

cardboard

Matt Masterson made those for a short while. Long hunter did sell them for him at EOT while supplies lasted. Here’s the issue Matt was having and the reason he stopped. He searched for the correct diameter OD & ID and found the correct one. But the tubing company wasn’t willing to keep selling him small amounts. They were the only supplier and wanted him to buy something like 10,000 foot at a time. The cost would have been astronomical and the demand wasn’t high enough at the time to take a risk that big. 

Hope this helps,

Slick

WOW!!  That is similar to what happened when Adirondack Jack wanted to bring the Cowboy 45 Special out.  Starline said "sure, we can made that case with your head stamp".  Then Starline dropped the other shoe.  Easy Peasy they said "50,000 Pieces".  With a great leap of faith, AJ did it and the rest is history.  Of course, 10,000 feet is somewhat over kill.  That would be ... ah ... 5,000 Mag Tubes. 

Got mine from Pioneer Gun Works about ten years ago, got one for the short rifle and one for the 24" rifle. The one on the short rifle is powder coated black matched the blue pretty good but they were out of the black ones for the 24" so I had to take the silver of the SS, but still looks good.

Archived