SASS Wire Forum

Blind hog finds a mushroom

Utah Bob #35998

I was putting things together for a D-Day load out equipment exhibit for our town’s festival that takes place on July 4th. 

Running down my list I realized I don’t have a WWII entrenching tool. Just WWI and Vietnam. 

Something like this

1CF360B1-0182-4CCD-9715-8E48D3A9263B.jpeg

Then I remembered I picked up one last year that appeared to be a post war knockoff. Maybe Japanese. No markings on it and it was frozen in the open position but the wood looked good.

I dug around and found it in the barn and after a liberal application of PB Blaster and torch I got it loosened up. Decided to take some crud and rust off and after sanding off several layers of paint I could see some faint stampings. Turns out it’s a US Ames made in 1944. Only cost a couple of bucks. I better go get a lottery ticket. :D

60C39867-42BD-422D-A4B7-A7CAA5515E65.jpeg

5FD6D2AD-9DAD-475A-9E21-43673E4D8F5F.jpeg

That is WAY cool...!

Ames has been making shovels since something like 1774... and have supplied 'em to our troops ever since!   ^_^

Yup... it's an original~!  :lol:

55 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That is WAY cool...!

Ames has been making shovels since something like 1774... and have supplied 'em to our troops ever since!   ^_^

Shovels, swords, bayonets, knives and dozens of steel products.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That is WAY cool...!

Ames is now owned by a multi-national conglomerate, but continues to manufacture largely in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffon_Corporation#The_AMES_Companies

Its history prior to the sale to Griffon is amazing - almost 250 years as a family owned business, making the same basic products at a very high level.

https://www.amesfreelibrary.org/ames-shovel-company-chronology

LL

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Cool  discovery Bob..ya' better check the rest of the shed !

PS...How was the Revenge shoot ?

Unfortunately 

I was unable to attend due to some medical issues. Only the second time in 13 years. :(

Archived