SASS Wire Forum

American Holly Grips

Matt Overman

I've recently become hooked on single action pistols.  My most recent is a .357 New Vaquero.  I've searched the internet over looking for American Holly wood grips. There are plenty of links out there, but try to purchase a set. It's dead end after dead end. Even traded emails with some builders to no avail.  I'm after that ivory look and Holly is a good alternative.  I'd love any advice or links from the wheel gun experts20190523_215411.thumb.jpg.50452527ee88848da2d057d312d5c8c1.jpg .   

If you aren't sold on Holly, which is a pretty good ivory alternative, the best ivory substitute I have found is this stuff called Resin-S Ivory. It has a very similar look with grain, weighs the same, and even feels like the real deal in the hand. And it's a lot cheaper. Hard to compete with that. https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Resin-Ivory-trade-SAA-Revolver-Grip-Panels-116

I noticed they has spalted maple grips.

We ran a mom and pop sawmill business for some 22 years. One time I got down to the middle of a log pile and found two large hard maple logs out of same tree.  They had been at the bottom of the stack for a couple of years and has spalted. I sawed them into standard cabinet thickness and sticked them to air dry.  We had a lot of hobby wood workers come and buy lumbar.   I let them know I had spalted maple.  They were not interested.   Finally a guy showed up wanting hard maple.  I showed him the spalted maple.  He didn't like all those colors and lines but thought he could get enough pieces that were not "messes up" with that spalted stuff to do his project.   I sold him the whole inventory at one price.  The ugly spalted stuff would probably bring 10 X what the regular hard maple would bring - in the right market.  

Joe Perkins at Classic Single Action does amazing work.  You won't be disappointed.  But, if you're interested you need to contact him and get on the waiting list for grips, he's that popular!

I've got a few of his grips including Spalted Maple, Burl Maple,  Curly Walnut,  and Burl Walnut. 

BS

On 6/17/2019 at 1:48 PM, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

If you aren't sold on Holly, which is a pretty good ivory alternative, the best ivory substitute I have found is this stuff called Resin-S Ivory. It has a very similar look with grain, weighs the same, and even feels like the real deal in the hand. And it's a lot cheaper. Hard to findcompete with that. https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Resin-Ivory-trade-SAA-Revolver-Grip-Panels-116

Thanks. This does look good. Do you know anyone making SA grips with this?

Since we are talking SA grips I am still looking for a builder of elk horn grips. I have tried  from 2 different builders and neither fit good enough to even install on a revolver. the last one I had sent the old grips for a copy but was disappointed with his work.

14 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Since we are talking SA grips I am still looking for a builder of elk horn grips. I have tried  from 2 different builders and neither fit good enough to even install on a revolver. the last one I had sent the old grips for a copy but was disappointed with his work.

Have you tried Patrick Grashorn? http://grashornsgunworks.com/contact-us

17 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

For elk, Patrick Grashorn is who I’d go with. Looks like Tyrel beat me to the punch again haha 

13 hours ago, Matt Overman said:

Thanks. This does look good. Do you know anyone making SA grips with this?

I don't know who does them as a standard option. Chris Whisler used to, but he's since stopped making grips. I imagine just about anyone could do it, if you provided the material. It's a lot easier and cheaper to do a ruger than a Colt.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Since you seem interested and I love pictures, here is some of his work he has done for me:

4ABD459E-7BDB-4939-8C8D-33B571EDD6C3.thumb.jpeg.03ece9070d5202b4064cc0e665157ce2.jpegDF7D5631-A277-4D73-ADDE-A13D4E0203F0.thumb.jpeg.ea0d9ba7c52f9f636864120ef12dbe2e.jpegA0DFFE90-A20C-4974-B759-BF63D45C6D28.thumb.jpeg.edea76549325bbc0d54b41ccf500c55f.jpegAD03E1D2-F577-461D-A4DA-16FCDBACB0FF.thumb.jpeg.ecd3698d4f6b858e26244a01bd6c6e38.jpeg93FFBAEC-8FD2-4F1E-98B9-961948392479.thumb.jpeg.dccb55b8f7fb1df6c2e16927d26facb6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Look good. I like them with some bark left on them. I always keep my Elk horns when I hunt but you cannot just cut a piece out of any horn and use it I am told.

Patrick will leave or take off as much bark as you like. All three above I wanted a very specific amount on there and he did it just like I wanted.

This is who I bought mine from http://www.sackpeterson.com/models/sacksgrips.html  Price was good, turn around time was about 3 months, fit and finish are great.  I wanted a close matching set for a pair of SAA and he worked with me and I'm very pleased with everything.

Archived