SASS Wire Forum

To Our Fathers - Feel Free To Add To This

Subdeacon Joe

My first haircut. Just before I started screaming I'm told.

My boy with him at the cabin.

Kaya with him just before he passed.

I miss my Pa. I wear his kepi while I shoot CAS and use his .30-30 in long range. I talk to Burt daily.

Copy of 20170309_105818-1.jpg

IMG_20170812_192226362_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170812_192254183_HDR.jpg

My Dad

USN CPO, Korean War era

Hunting together

Hiking  together with the family

Family vacations in Ft Lauderdale

Fishing together in Ontario

Fishing with his grandkids (my 2) in MN

He would have been 90, on Flag Day (6/14)

Been gone since '15 and I remember him in my prayers every single day.

Keep watch, Dad.

And Thanks.

Hey Joe, where did your Dad serve and what unit? My dad was with the 31st Dixie Division, 124th HQ. He was a cook. Two little war stories, as a rule he hated Spam since they pretty much lived on it in those days with no refrigeration. I finally got him to liking it when we'd go camping and I'd fry it up like bacon. Second, he once wrote his mom of how much he missed milk. His mom sent him a box of powdered milk halfway around the world to the Philippines. He didn't have the heart to tell her they had 55 gal. drums of that $h!t.

JHC

From right to left, my dad, his sister-in-law, his brother, and his brother's wife, taken at my wedding. 

Dad,  I miss you a lot.  You've only been gone a year yet it feels like an eternity at times.  I miss our conversations, i miss your laugh and most of all, I miss your -isms.  I hope you're having a "fantabulous" time with mom, where ever you are.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 4.28.26 PM.png

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Hey Joe, where did your Dad serve and what unit? My dad was with the 31st Dixie Division, 124th HQ. He was a cook. 

Dad was a Fleet Marine.   On the USS Brooklyn,  CL-40, during Operation Torch.  The photo of him in the PTO was on Guam, 3rd Marine Divion.  He was a 603, Artillery Crewman. He never said much about it.  Only story that stuck with me is that one time while he was standing guard a guy came on deck at night,  darkened ship.  The Officer of the Deck ordered dad to shoot the guy.  Someone else knocked him down a hatch before dad could fire.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

From right to left, my dad, his sister-in-law, his brother, and his brother's wife, taken at my wedding. 

Dad,  I miss you a lot.  You've only been gone a year yet it feels like an eternity at times.  I miss our conversations, i miss your laugh and most of all, I miss your -isms.  I hope you're having a "fantabulous" time with mom, where ever you are.

I know what -isms are! My brothers and I sat around a fire at our cabin telling Burtisms! We never laughed and cried harder in our lives!

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Dad was a Fleet Marine.   On the USS Brooklyn,  CL-40, during Operation Torch.  The photo of him in the PTO was on Guam, 3rd Marine Divion.  He was a 603, Artillery Crewman. He never said much about it.  Only story that stuck with me is that one time while he was standing guard a guy came on deck at night,  darkened ship.  The Officer of the Deck ordered dad to shoot the guy.  Someone else knocked him down a hatch before dad could fire.

My dad never talked about it much either.  I went with him to a few of his company reunions, they had some good stories. One guy had an album from Iwo. Gruesome stuff. Glad I never had to go to war......yet. I don't know details, but one of his decorations was a Combat Infantryman Badge. I don't think they gave those out for cooking biscuits. He spoke of Morotai,  Mendenao, and Good Enough Island.

JHC

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

What does that mean?

Reference from a lot of Louis L'Amour books. I guess you'd say it's a man with a tough outside. Like the bark on a tree.

JHC

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

My Dad circa 1961 or 1962.  4th Precinct Cruiser crew. 

52351593_10157996120433943_388021871100035072_n.jpg

My dad as a cop.  Oceanside, CA, after he mustered out of the Corps.  Did it for about 6 months or so in 1947.   He couldn't stomach the corruption of the Chief of Police and quit.  I think it was just after that that he started working for Crystal Silica, where he worked for ~ 30 years.

Lovell Family Photos, most pre-1960 065.jpg

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My dad as a cop.  Oceanside, CA, after he mustered out of the Corps.  Did it for about 6 months or so in 1947.   He couldn't stomach the corruption of the Chief of Police and quit.  I think it was just after that that he started working for Crystal Silica, where he worked for ~ 30 years.

Lovell Family Photos, most pre-1960 065.jpg

Great photo.

I lost my Dad 10 years ago this August.

He was pre-war RCAF, (1936)

We did a lot together; trips to Alaska; hunting and fishing trips; reunions at bases we lived at, where he served.

Good times together.

I still miss you Dad. 

Dad in uniform with wedge cap .jpg

If people might indulge me, I'd like to recognize three different men. My father, and two others who were like father's to me in ways I can't begin to mention. I just know I wouldn't be the man I am without them.

My Dad. Retired after 35 years working in a glass factory, most of it as a journeyman machine repairman. Our relationship has always been challenging at best, and it only got better when we both decided to agree to disagree on many subjects. Still, I recognize he did the best within his power to be as good a dad as he could be.

scan0004.thumb.jpg.a0c5480a8da165f01f373e47b8c055af.jpg

My uncle, both of us born on February 14th, he went to Basic Training at Ft. Knox, about 25 years or so before I did. A professional estimator, one of the most intelligent, kind and thoughtful men I've known. I often went to him when I had problems, and he was the man who convinced me I could succeed at whatever I tried. I think of him every day, and miss him greatly.

1755337082_Scan132600031.jpg.3f0ce48a9ffb47f299b260301ddd6d2f.jpg

Finally, my father-in-law. Went to the University of Michigan on a baseball scholarship, and forgot more about the sport than I will ever know. Served in the Navy as a doctor after being drafted during the Vietnam era, then had a career as a radiologist. Treated me as his son from the start. His first trap gun became my first trap gun. We could go pheasant hunting and not shoot a bird and consider it an afternoon well spent. After my uncle passed away, he became my mentor, my advisor, and my friend. He died while I was getting ready to deploy in 2008. When my wife had his watch that he bought when she was born restored and gave it to me for Father's Day last year, I cried. There isn't a day I don't miss him.

scan003.thumb.jpg.45ec1740f22869a936f72e08f52c2ca2.jpg

It's a bit of an emotional day for me. I lost my dad the day before Father's Day 1990. I took him a gift that day, as I was working swing shift at the hospital that weekend. I got the phone call that afternoon that he passed in his sleep taking a nap. He worked that morning, ate lunch, went home for his usual nap and.....

JHC

One thing I have noticed in all these photos is that, in general, the fathers, and surrogates, all have a certain dignity and elegance to them.  Even my dad standing there in his shorts and shower shoes.  

Allie, your dad looks like he stepped out of a poster for jeans, or boots, or Old Spice.

A few more of my dad. Color photo, circa 1974, with my niece Alexandra.  Then a couple of him in Trinidad, about 1941.
And, one of my mom's dad.  1960, Nesquehoning PA.  He came to the US in 1906.

Dad and Niece Alexandra.jpg

Lovell Family Photos, most pre-1960 116.jpg

Lovell Family Photos, most pre-1960 117.jpg

Lovell Family Photos, Frank Klemic sr Nesquehoning.jpg

Something a bit different.

This was my boy's very first father's day. He's taking to it like a fish to water! Damn proud of him.

received_597956404036255.jpeg

Last photo taken of my dad and all his sons together.  Was taken in February 2006. 

I'm the only one left from this picture.  I miss them all very much.   

brothers and dad.jpg

18 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

What does that mean?

Means he's a lot like my dad: so rough and tough that he wears his clothes out from the inside.  I have often thought about writing my dad's story.

It is very inspirational, but I'm not convinced that many people would be interested or believe it all.

Dad was only in the Idaho State Guard for a few months until he was honorably discharged as being more important to the country as a teacher with two kids.  He was on of two male teachers, not counting the Principal and Superintendent (One guy, two jobs) and taught, ran the audio-visual section, subbed in the shop classes helping out the other man who ran those areas, coached almost everything, and was the school's life guard on weekends.  During the summer he single handedly tutored a lot of kids, worked day as a life guard at the community pool and worked nights at the sugar mill.

This is only one very small story I could write about him (and Mom, too).  They were a marvelous couple.

He died at 80 years old in 1989 and I still think about him every single day.

Archived