SASS Wire Forum

gun fighter training help

LostVaquero

I notice that shooting Gunfighter I always seem to miss with the right hand gun.  I am left eye dominant tend to be right handed but shoot left handed on the long guns.  Mostly the miss is on the last round as well.

I am pretty sure I am keeping both eyes open.

A couple of people tell me the round is going off to the right of the target and sometimes over.

Guess need to get on paper but some suggestions are appreciated.

I often do the same thing (also left eye -- rigght handed). Usually its a combination of feeling in the "zone" and shooting as fast as I can cock instead of as fast as I can point/aim, and the fact that as i get going on a string i tend to shoot a little higher each shot after recoving from recoil.

Most last pistol round misses are caused by going just a little too soon to holster but those misses are usually low.

I'm right handed and left eye dominate and I can't hit squat unless my left eye is closed.

I'm right eye dominant and find my misses are with the left gun.  I have to close my left eye or I catch myself shooting left gun with left eye.  When I miss with the last round/last target I believe it is because I stop concentrating on that last target and in my mind start moving to the next thing I have to do.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:01 AM, Sarge said:

I'm right eye dominant and find my misses are with the left gun.  I have to close my left eye or I catch myself shooting left gun with left eye.  When I miss with the last round/last target I believe it is because I stop concentrating on that last target and in my mind start moving to the next thing I have to do.

Exactly!

My weak hand shots are low-right when missed. It's a sighting thing.

As El Cubano pointed out, I get into cadence rather than aim and shoot. My last round misses are because I'm on to the next the gun in my head while I'm still shooting.

Sarge- I wish I could soot with both eyes. I've tried, but it will be a long time coming before I can get there.

In practice I shoot at a paper target with my weak hand and steel with the strong side so I can see where I'm hitting (aiming). If I try to watch where I'm hitting, I'm going too slow. You should not know how many misses you had when your done with the stage if your speed is up to your ability. Mostly this is just shooting faster than your aiming. Slow down and work your way back up.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Agree.

When its the last round, it is likely as Sarge stated, you might be moving to the next thing.

You could also be focusing on reholstering the other pistol.

Its a good thing to be able and coordinated to be a multi-tasker in our game... but don't get

ahead of yeownself..... ;)

..........Widder

About the only progress I've made shooting gunfighter is being able to sort out difficult sequences better. Many times they would be easy 5 and 5.  But doing it 1 through 10 alternating guns gets a bit scrambled.  Also tricky of you move to another position.

Saddle time at practice.....find a sight picture that works for you...one eye, both eyes...whatever is best for you....you may think your going fast by getting to the next gun quicker....but, how fast do you have to be to make up for a 5 second penalty...I have found that my times have improved by training myself to get a sight picture every time vs spray and pray....now under the clock I am automatically finding the front sight w/o thinking about it..ymmv

44 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Saddle time at practice.....find a sight picture that works for you...one eye, both eyes...whatever is best for you....you may think your going fast by getting to the next gun quicker....but, how fast do you have to be to make up for a 5 second penalty...I have found that my times have improved by training myself to get a sight picture every time vs spray and pray....now under the clock I am automatically finding the front sight w/o thinking about it..ymmv

5 seconds faster. Haha sorry I just couldn’t resist. 

I'm new at this and have no preconceived notions.

I read all of Doc Shapiro's documents on how to practice the skills at home.

I figure learning to correctly shoot gunfighter style is the same as learning to play Scruggs-style banjo.
Start VERY slow and VERY deliberate.
Do this until you bore yourself silly.
Do it some more.
Do it every day.

The speed does indeed come.
It is the deliberate teaching of the muscle memory and proper habits that lets this happen.

I feel I'm getting reasonably proficient at hitting targets in the right order. But I "spend" a good bit of time getting my grips on the guns on the draw and returning them to the holsters.  It's hard to recover from a bad grip shooting gunfighter.  And I don't want to miss my holsters on the return. 

On 6/15/2019 at 10:16 PM, LostVaquero said:

Guess need to get on paper but some suggestions are appreciated.

Yes, and you need to shoot at paper two ways.  First check out and correct any differences between point of aim and point of impact with each gun.  Trying to use two different Kentucky windage compensations at match speed is asking for trouble.  

Then shoot at paper at match speed, at least 20-25 shots from each gun.  You will identify your grouping tendencies at match speed, and probably see that the shots are grouping somewhere other than where you expect.  

Without that information, “practicing” will just be further ingraining bad technique.

I like my gun’s point of impact to be a little low when shooting over a rest because at match speed the front sight is going to stick up a bit higher which will bring the point of impact up.  Missing high is caused by not taking time to refine the sight picture, not getting the top of the front sight nestled all the way down into the groove.

34 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Trying to use two different Kentucky windage compensations at match speed is asking for trouble.  

I shot one match with a new gun that shot 6" low and 4" left at 10 steps and I knew it.  That wasn't too bad on large targets but didn't work on 10" falling plates.  In the heat of the battle I'd forget about holding high and right. I turned the barrel and took about .040 off the top of front sight. 

Archived