SASS Wire Forum

Educate me on 44 rus and 45 cowboy special in levers

stef75

Fellas, currently running a 357 rossi 92, using 38 special cases and  looking to move up. My guns do double duty as plinkers/small game getters for the kids( okay and me).

Id been thinking about a 44, and know there is some sort of kit out there to allow the much shorter versions like the Russian to work? The thing is assume you have the bullet drifting along quite a ways in that long 44 rem chamber. When setting a gun up for the much shorter cases do you folks also re-chamber barrel for the shorter case.?

Its all a bit of a grey area for me as I am no gunsmith, but I think you can see where I am coming from. Shorter case, better load density and less powder position, less powder burnt, potentially better plinking accuracy, more rounds in the tube etc etc. The plinking accuracy to 50-60 yards is probably the main difference for me and the spanner in the works.

Thanks for any thoughts, abuse, ridicule, branding etc, I can absorb it :D 

First, get a toggle link rifle, then:

Use this short carrier:

http://www.thesmithshop.com/cbs45.html

You will have to put the stock carrier back in to shoot standard rounds.

No, nobody rechambers their rifle.  This is CAS, the accuracy gain would not be noticed, probably not at 50 yards (?)

Making the short rounds work in a '92 may not be possible, but it will definitely take some 'smithing.

1. I load light loads in .44 mag and they do fine in all temps. 

2. Occasionally I shoot .44 Specials and they cycle and fire just as good as the mags. 

3. No need to go as short as a Russian. The bigger cases will do the job just fine. Powder choice is key. I use Red Dot, Unique or Trail Boss. The Red Dot is has the most recoil at minimum load.

This is true for a Rossi 92, a Winchester 94 and my Blackhawks. 

PLUS ONE too Abilene.

I don't know of anyone who has gotten the 44 Russian or the Cowboy 45 Special to run in a 92 or a 94.  There is some special modification work to a Marlin that will allow use of the short cases.  Toggle link rifles are the easiest.  Change out the carrier.  It will be necessary to shoot shorter, lighter bullets with either.  I've done both.  Lotta FUN!!  Load a Henry up with 18 rounds.  Actually, the Henry is the easiest.  Put a cartridge stop thru the side of a 45 carrier, clearance the bolt for the stop and away you go!!  I don't use nor like Rod Dot, Unique, or rail Boss.  I shoot APP.  Making smoke is more funner!!  :D

i have some 45cowboy specials the local gun range gave me today. i just put 3 in my rossi 92 45colt and when you lever the action, it throws them right out the top of the rifle and onto the floor...

I would buy a nice 22 LR  cal. Semi auto carbine along with a couple of bricks of ammo to plink with.

More fun  and less work . Cheaper  also

Unless your kids are in training to become brass Pickers at CAS shoot .

Just my thoughts

CATLOW 

The cost savings is real. But only maybe a pinney a round to reload.  Same bullet.  Same primer.  Just a smidgen less powder. Where the C45S really shines is when it's used for what it was designed for - a 45 case that can be charged with black powder and not need fillers. 

For a plinking centefire rifle,  I'd consider a 9mm or 40 S&W.   Even a 38 Special would be cheaper to shoot.

As stated above toggle type rifle is the way to go if you want to do this conversion.  Fairly simple to swap in a lifter.  If you want to go back to original length cartridge you just remove the short lifter and put your original lifter back in.

45CS brass works fine with up to 200 grain bullets. My wife's 45 Colt rounds took 5.5 of Trailboss, her 45CS take 3.5 with less recoil but plenty of knock-down. That is a bit more than a smidge less, so I am saving powder. They also seal the chamber better so the gun doesn't get as dirty. And in my case the 3rd best reason is she doesn't confuse her 45 Colt rounds with my 44-40 BP rounds anymore! The only real downside is she needs to use a pusher stick to get the last round in so it will feed properly.

1 minute ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

do you use the same dies to reload 45cs as 45acp?

Everyone comes up with a different mix of dies.  I use a 45Colt carbide sizing die,  Dillon 45ACP powder through expander die and an RCBS 45ACP/45 Auto Rim roll crimp die.  Obviously,   45Colt shell holder. 

Stef75 sorry for the hijack

Bruce...all Lee dies.  45 colt shell holder.  Resize with 45 colt die, change to 45 acp powder thru the expander for the slight bell flare.  45acp seating die.  45 acp crimp die.  Use the same 200 gr bullets in both cowboy special and 1911. No change in die lengths, crimps, etc.  IMG_20190204_192926.thumb.jpg.8e70d174db801d3a6fedc96f4085a58a.jpg

Archived