SASS Wire Forum

How do you know your cases are properly crimped?

John Boy

48 minutes ago, John Boy said:

First right answer - join me in the Saloon for 3 fingers of rye and a beer chaser :D

All wrong answers - Back to the Reloading Room :P

Bullets don't fall out...  Too often.

I normally load SIX of 'like powered' rounds in the revolver, shoot 5.   Then pull the 6th round and measure

its OAL in comparison to its OAL before being put in the revolver.

Often, I will put that 6th round back in the revolver and shoot 5 more.  Then pull that same round

out and measure its OAL again.

If your ammo is of the lesser powered type, heavy crimps are not required..... but the recoil of 'like powered'

type rounds will show if your crimp is sufficient when you check the OAL as mentioned above.

Same is true with heavy magnum type loads.   A proper heavy crimp will also show its effectiveness

after shooting 5 or 10 rounds and checking OAL on that unfired round. 

One other way to visually check proper crimp is if the mouth of your case gets 'crinkled' during

the crimp process.   But that only shows OVER CRIMP.

I prefer the shooting test method.

..........Widder

I seat the projectile until the case mouth covers 3/4 of the crimp groove.  After crimping, the "crimp" has pulled the projectile down and the crimp is fully seated in the groove, with no bulging and no "ring around" the case mouth from over crimp.  Don't know if "others" would agree ... and they certainly are entitled to their individual Opine, even if it's wrong.  With my dies, in my press, this works a treat!!

When they come out of the crimping die.

12 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I seat the projectile until the case mouth covers 3/4 of the crimp groove.  After crimping, the "crimp" has pulled the projectile down and the crimp is fully seated in the groove, with no bulging and no "ring around" the case mouth from over crimp.  Don't know if "others" would agree ... and they certainly are entitled to their individual Opine, even if it's wrong.  With my dies, in my press, this works a treat!!

Exactly my method.

37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

What if your bullet doesn't have a crimp groove?

:o

..........Widder

35 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Widder, I don't shoot ANY bullets that don't have a crimp groove.  Not at all :D

Bearcreek has some great slick sided moly coated bullets. ;)

LEE  FCD is all you need. ^_^

OLG

4 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

If you can't push the bullet into the case.

I push the bullet as hard as I can against the side of the bench. If it goes in, crimp no good!!

You all seems to be talking about things like 45-70 or 45 Colt. But if you over-crimp a 44-40 you will get much more than a crinkled case.  And you aren't going to get the crimped brass to pull the bullet further in to the case, either. 

1 hour ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

When the ammo works in all of my guns all of the time the crimp is correct.

Blackfoot

This

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I push the bullet as hard as I can against the side of the bench. If it goes in, crimp no good!!

This! I set my Dillon up to load the way I want then I follow the principle that if it works don’t mess with it. 8.5 years and maybe 100,000 rounds later, no squibs and no collapsed rounds, it seems to be working. No calipers, no weighing every Xth round, no vibrating hoppers, no peering into the cases to check for powder, just place the bullet, pull the handle and repeat.

18 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I normally load SIX of 'like powered' rounds in the revolver, shoot 5.   Then pull the 6th round and measure

Often, I will put that 6th round back in the revolver and shoot 5 more.  Then pull that same round

If your ammo is of the lesser powered type, heavy crimps are not required..... but the recoil of 'like powered'

type rounds will show if your crimp is sufficient when you check the OAL as mentioned above.

Same is true with heavy magnum type loads.   A proper heavy crimp will also show its effectiveness

after shooting 5 or 10 rounds and checking OAL on that unfired round. 

One other way to visually check proper crimp is if the mouth of your case gets 'crinkled' during

the crimp process.   But that only shows OVER CRIMP.

I prefer the shooting test method.

..........Widder

Wow that's a lot of loading.  Load 10 rounds for every one you bring to a match.  For a 10 stage match with 10-10-4 stages, that adds up quick!

OK,let's eliminate finger seated ('slip seating) BPCR reloads that are shot in a single shot ...

All others:

* Look at the case mouth of a loaded round

* Run your finger downward over the case mouth

* If the case mouth is partially separated from the bullet or is rough to the touch - shows no crimping from the die - it needs to be crimped

* Put in your roll or factory crimp die and squeeze the case mouth

* Run your finger now over the case mouth - if it is smooth ... it is crimped properly

20 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

It took me a couple seconds... you are checking for bullet migration after a series of heavy recoils.
Perfect idea, many thanks!

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Wow that's a lot of loading.  Load 10 rounds for every one you bring to a match.  For a 10 stage match with 10-10-4 stages, that adds up quick!

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

It took me a couple seconds... you are checking for bullet migration after a series of heavy recoils.
Perfect idea, many thanks!

GAMBLER:  Sorri for any confusion.   When I originally set up my seat/crimp die, I check my crimp setting

using the stated test above.   Once the crimp is set to my satisfaction, I never do any more testing.

The method has served me perfectly for such hot calibers in a revolver like .44 mag, hot .45 colt, and especially

.454 Casull.

BGAVIN:  Yes.  The worse thing I want in a revolver is to have the bullet move forward out of the case and lock

up the 'revolvers' action.    Nor do I want any of my auto pistol bullets to push back into the case in my

semi auto pistols.   Bad mo-jo.

I agree there are a few good ways for us to acquire a good, reliable crimp.   I just thought I would share

my favorite.

..........Widder

I appreciate that.
The above is a splendid idea, and makes perfect real-world sense.

Hopefully I will have less trouble hand loading my bullets than with editing an "oops" post on the board... ;)

I can see the case indented into the crimp groove on the bullet.

I like 'em nice and tight.

When the Bullet doesn't creep forward out of the Case ....

Either from Recoil or Compressed Powder and Pushing it out ...

Make Smoke

Jabez Cowboy

Archived