SASS Wire Forum

Dad

Utah Bob #35998

Robert F. De Groff, Sr.
1925-2007
Dad was always my hero. From him I learned honesty, integrity, humor, courage, humility, and compassion.
He was a man willing to sacrifice for his family and always ready to help a friend in need.

He never met a man who didn't like him.
The world was enriched by his presence and is a poorer place with his passing. He left us wanting to be with him just a little longer, to hear him laugh and joke once more. He left us with the same quiet dignity as he had lived and went to join his wife Helen, our beloved mother...
The pain of his passing is tempered by the joy in having known him.

DadsBox.jpg

Dad the SCout

Scout.jpg

Dad and his mom

DadandMom.jpg

Dad and Mom in the 70s

MomandDad70s.jpg

A teen with a need for speed.

TeenDad.jpg

Playing cowboy 2006

CowboyDad.JPG

Me and Dad about 1950

BobandDad.jpg

Home on leave during the war

Homeon the farm.jpg

DadandFriend.jpg

In Japan after the surrender. I'd smile too. I still have his wings and ID bracelet his parents gave him.

DadJapan.jpg

Had some trouble with the link so I posted the pics direct.

13 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Army Air Corps - bomber radio man?

Trained as a B17 gunner in the summer in a Yuma AZ, then with a load of gunners on the train headed to New York to board troop ships, the Air Force decided they needed more radio men.

So they diverted the train and sent him to radio school, in Minot ND, in the winter. :lol:

After radio school they sent him to the Pacific and he flew on cargo planes.

11 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I regularly consult the old man, though he's been gone 18 years. Keeps me on the right path still.

Me too. Daily.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So they diverted the train and sent him to radio school, in Minot ND, in the winter. :lol:

Why not Minot? There's a bunch of B-52 and Minutman missile troops who can give you a thousand reasons!  Me, I got Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls, Montana.  That could be chilly in the winter, too, but not as bad as Minot or Grand Forks! B)

My Dad taught me to have integrity.  Miss him.  He's been gone 16 years...come my birthday!  Three years to the day after he passed, our youngest grandchild was born!  As Ray Charles sang, "And when I'm dead, And when I'm gone, there'll be one child born to carry on!" :)

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

As Ray Charles sang, "And when I'm dead, And when I'm gone, there'll be one child born to carry on!" :)

I thought that was Chicago. ;)

36 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I thought it was Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Coulda been them. It was definitely somebody. :lol:

My dad passed on just under 4 years ago, one day short of his 87th birthday.  He wasn't a joke teller, but he had these little zingers that usually had a lesson attached.  I'm now finding his words coming out of my mouth.

Wonderful Pictures UB; my Dad was in the Army Air Corps too in WW2. He died in 88 at 80. Taught me to fish, shoot, hunt and to be a good man! I think a lot of us on this Forum were blessed with great Dads.  Cheers,  Hoss C.

My Dad grew-up during Tough Times in Denmark (properly Spelled Da'nmark ) was in the Danish Resistance  the Only one in his Cell to make it through alive ...

My father-in-law Started Training In Canada , over seas to England ,North Africa, Italy, France and ended up in Holland ,,,, finally shipped home in Jan. 46..

Was twice wounded lost a fair chunk out of his left forearm ,,,, was left handed.... Came back to take over the family Farm, farmed till 1988....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived