SASS Wire Forum

Neck Knife???

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Anyone using a neck knife?

All the time?

Once in a while?

Ive thought about one from time to time but.. maybe just a gimmick??

And if you like yours which one would that be?

I see a sog mini that looks interesting.

Best

CR

Had but one couldn’t get used to it. Same thing with shoulder holsters.

I had to wear a noose........er....necktie too many years. Pretty much can't stand anything around my neck. Even have a wrist strap on my camera after carrying a 35mm around my neck for many years. I rarely even keep binocs around my neck hunting.

JHC

I have purchased 2 neck knives. Both annoyed me so I never used them as intended. I gave one away. The other hangs from a hook in my garage for use in opening boxes or when a quick small knife is needed.

Got one for my skinner days.  It was a 2 1/2" German desk knife that my grandfather brought back from a mission for the Mormon church in 1897.  The sheath was worn out so I made a new one and beaded it.  It still hangs with my gear on the wall of my den.

It looks good, but is actually quite useless.

Howdy,

NO fans?

With all the neck knives online and at shows??

You have no idea how surprised I am.

I still might give a cheap one a try...

Best

CR

I have one that is a skeletonized dive knife.  I wear it under my dive skin and sometimes wear it when I'm travelling in those countries that don't allow weapons.  FIt in with my dive gear.  Never had a problem with it.

There a several situations where a neck knife is handy.   Examples:      

When you’re working in chest high waders or just wading hip high across the creek.

Fishing in a kayak with no pocket or belt access.

It is -20* F so you are wearing a mid thigh length parka and need a knife to chip the ice from the barn door to chore.

When you are wearing nothing but a loin cloth and your kneck knife sheath.  You need to cut kindling but that tomahawk tucked in the waist strap keeps sagging your cloth.

Basically any time it is not practical to access a pocket knife or belt carried sheath knife.  Or any time the conditions (river mud) may ruin said pocket knife or the leather sheath (brackish water).  Some times a fishing/utility vest works well but sometimes a neck knife is the proper solution (too hot for a vest or too cold for just a vest).

Ka Bar and Buck Knives both make an affordable skeleton model to try out.  Berkley makes a cheap but somewhat ergonomic plastic handled model.  When you are on land (no risk of dropping in the water) I prefer a higher quality but still light weight model like the sweedish Morakniv.  A folder on a rope works ok for close tasks like cutting tags on a lure knot but it is generally more hassle than benefit.  

Another alternative is the arm band knife.  It doesn’t flop around, tapping you in the chest as you walk.  I could never get used to the random weight that was added to the middle of the arm.

Archived