SASS Wire Forum

Colorado State

Tell me it ain't true...    

Only 1st Place  in the Category's were recognized..'IF' so that just don't seem right  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Tell me it ain't true...    

Only 1st Place  in the Category's were recognized..'IF' so that just don't seem right  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No... Some categories didn't have but a couple competitors, so those only recognised first place.

But this is standard practice.

Phantom

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No... Some categories didn't have but a couple competitors, so those only recognised first place.

But this is standard practice.

Phantom

Yep got that  but a very good friend who was there placed 2nd of 3 shooters in the Category...only 1st place was awarded..he was very disappointed !!

29 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yep got that  but a very good friend who was there placed 2nd of 3 shooters in the Category...only 1st place was awarded..he was very disappointed !!

That's pretty dang normal. Only there shooters in the category will only award first place.

Phantom

21 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Awarding second place in a category of 3 seems more reasonable than awarding first in a category of one. Just my 2¢. 

Sure...but then we would need to know your datum point. How reasonable is it to award First Place in a category of one?

Phantom

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Sure...but then we would need to know your datum point. How reasonable is it to award First Place in a category of one?

Phantom

In my personal opinion, a match should award the same number of places in all categories regardless of the number of shooters in each. 

5 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

In my personal opinion, a match should award the same number of places in all categories regardless of the number of shooters in each. 

Reasonable option...wrong...but reasonable.

:lol:

So if you have 40 folks in 49er and 10 in FCD, you (the club), should give out an equal number of awards...so that if you are going 10 deep, the guy that beats 75% of his category is of equal standing to the guy that beats no one in his category.

That just doesn't jive with my pee-brain.

We tried to do a tiered system. Something like 1-3 in a category get 1 award, 4-10 get 3, etc.

But the main thing I would like for you to take away from this conversation is that you are WRONG, and I am RIGHT!

:ph34r:

Just in relation to our 'game recognition goes a long way if the numbers are there  to award  1-3 or  more ...somebody has to win the contested category & if there's only one then so be it but surely also  2nd & 3rd where possible  IMHO  ..all I can say is we are a might more generous in Australia. !

Everywhere has the problem of very few juniors taking up Cowboy shooting...so if 3 youngin's contest a category , then only 1st is awarded  & the others ..well they don't even get a mention, surely not...encouragement is a wonderful thing !!

6 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Just in relation to our 'game recognition goes a long way if the numbers are there  to award  1-3 or  more ...somebody has to win the contested category & if there's only one then so be it but surely also  2nd & 3rd where possible  IMHO  ..all I can say is we are a might more generous in Australia. !

Everywhere has the problem of very few juniors taking up Cowboy shooting...so if 3 youngin's contest a category , then only 1st is awarded  & the others ..well they don't even get a mention, surely not...encouragement is a wonderful thing !!

Losing should be the motivator...or encouragement that is needed.

What good is it to say "here's your award that everyone gets regardless of their performance". That's silly.

Lastly, different clubs handle awards differently. Judging a club (match), based solely on awards is very narrow minded. How was the food??? Was that free? Drinks...entertainment...giveaways...the list goes on. To judge the match because someone that finished 2nd outta 3 competitors didn't get an award will do nothing to motivate Clubs to take on running an event...so who would "Win" then???

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Losing should be the motivator...or encouragement that is needed.

What good is it to say "here's your award that everyone gets regardless of their performance". That's silly.

Lastly, different clubs handle awards differently. Judging a club (match), based solely on awards is very narrow minded. How was the food??? Was that free? Drinks...entertainment...giveaways...the list goes on. To judge the match because someone that finished 2nd outta 3 competitors didn't get an award will do nothing to motivate Clubs to take on running an event...so who would "Win" then???

Phantom

Yep everything you say regarding' how was  the match'  is spot on..I'm just saying that my friend was disappointed in the award process, he actually had positive comments about everything else...without losers as 'you say ' there are no winners & I think where possible  other than 1st should be recognized.

In our case when you travel a long way & spend  big money for the trip if you bring home those little things from a shoot..well they mean a lot !! No different I would imagine to those that live in the USA & travel many miles across the country to compete.

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yep everything you say regarding' how was  the match'  is spot on..I'm just saying that my friend was disappointed in the award process, he actually had positive comments about everything else...without losers as 'you say ' there are no winners & I think where possible  other than 1st should be recognized.

In our case when you travel a long way & spend  big money for the trip if you bring home those little things from a shoot..well they mean a lot !! No different I would imagine to those that live in the USA & travel many miles across the country to compete.

I'd love for him (or her), to have won something that they could have taken back home too...most of us want that regardless of how much we spent  to get to a match. But the hard truth is that the performance wasn't good enough considering that fact that only 3 folks were in the category. What if he/she shot the same match but finished 3rd? Would they still be disappointed?

I'm sure they came here to compete at EOT and that the Colorado match was just a bonus...they are probably shooting this weekend too. So my guess is that they're getting their monies worth of fun.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'd love for him (or her), to have won something that they could have taken back home too...most of us want that regardless of how much we spent  to get to a match. But the hard truth is that the performance wasn't good enough considering that fact that only 3 folks were in the category. What if he/she shot the same match but finished 3rd? Would they still be disappointed?

I'm sure they came here to compete at EOT and that the Colorado match was just a bonus...they are probably shooting this weekend too. So my guess is that they're getting their monies worth of fun.

Phantom

26 Aussies this year for EOT..without question everybody that goes to the USA has a great time, it was just something that came up & I know that SASS has a  rule / policy  regarding awarding of Category  placings depending on numbers at major shoots..I don't agree but will leave it at that.

Thanks for your opinions & input Phantom...shoot well at EOT.

Regards 'Mohawk

What can be tough is if you shoot in the top 5 percent of the match and are 2nd in your category.  It sure seems an award would be appropriate.   Not sure the best way to go about this.  I would shoot in a match where they only award top category buckles, but I would gladly shoot in a match where only the top 16 in the whole match are given buckles.  AS long a we know the rules going in we can make our own decisions.  Several years ago I shot EOT too slow and clean and did not place  That was bad.  Made me a better shooter though,  Practice more.  

If he wants a buckle have him go to mn state.  If you show up you get a buckle.   It's nice for those who never place but for those who work hard it's a little demeaning to get the same buckle as someone who just shows up

5 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

If he wants a buckle have him go to mn state.  If you show up you get a buckle.   It's nice for those who never place but for those who work hard it's a little demeaning to get the same buckle as someone who just shows up

I understand the sentiment; but Evil Dogooder is too good of a shooter (I've watched your videos) to value the award instead of the result.

I want to buckle as much as anyone.

But ultimately we have to evaluate our placements versus the quality of our competition; not by the number on (or even by receiving) the trophy or buckle.

I'm off to EOT on Monday and I hope to place well BECAUSE of the skill level of the other shooters I'm competing against; i.e. a solid placement (no illusions about winning) will have some meaning.

I'm sure I could go find a monthly match somewhere else next week and place pretty well; maybe even win my category - but wins/ buckles, etc. mean nothing if the level or depth of competition is lacking.

Creeker buckles mean nothing to me.  I value the friendly competitions.   While I plan on going to winter range next year I have no desire to go to EOT.

I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot with some of the world's best shooters national/ world champions. I know where I stack up and how I do if I get serious. The thing is I do this for the enjoyment of it.  If I took it seriously it wouldn't be as fun for me anymore.

I get both sides of the discussion.  I remember my first buckle, then the first regional category win,  and how cool it was to be called up on stage. Now days I value the spirit of the game awards more.   To me anyone can shoot fast but to be appreciated by your peers means much more. 

Archived