SASS Wire Forum

Reviewing businesses, for pay

I got involved with several companies, go to eat, buy a meal answer a questionnaire, write a review, get paid. You see ads for this sometimes, the key to your safety is that you do not have to put money up front to register. Register, maybe take a small test or send in a sample of your writing. Sign up for a shop, you will be a secret shopper. Go in , order a meal or two, bring a friend, check out the bathrooms, answer a questionnaire, get paid within 6 weeks, unless your report was rejected. My reports were loved.

i did a “buy propane” report where the question was not asked but I added “the propane area was not locked when I arrived” because the instructions assumed it would have to be unlocked. The shop suggested that I should offer cash to the server. The point being queried was would the kid pocket the cash and not record the transaction.

there were many memorable reports. One, the question, “did you see the manager?”  Yes, I saw him far to my right, looking at something on a handheld device, the he went to show it to the bartender, he then stayed in the bar area looking at other things on his hand held device.later I saw him come out of the kitchen with a cup of something, set it on top of a game with some sort of gun, and play a game. A waitress went to him and mentioned something, he finished his game and went to take care of her issue.  At this business, manager’s bonuses are keyed on their reviews.

the most memorable review was a certain steakhouse. I have the opportunity to visit many different restaurants in this franchise.  For several months I wrote reviews that said there was stuff on the walls in their men’s rooms. Then finally I spelled it for them (being more gentle with the language here but I really did make it very picturesque for them, they had not been getting the message).  I wrote in the review of men’s room,  “a man stands at a urinal, he has been eating, he coughs or sneezes, he does not cover his mouth, food debris is expelled and sticks to the wall.  Nobody ever cleans those walls.” The next month I went to that restaurant on my own dime, the rest room was clean,  as was every other of that chain.

there is a chain that I did one time only. They pay for the meal, but no extra. Expect you to tip the server but do not reimburse it.

My son-in-law did these types of reviews for a while. He enjoyed doing them. He also used to volunteer for focus groups. He travels a lot for work now so he stopped doing the reviews and focus groups. 

My son occasionally does a focus group. He got paid $100.00 for one and $75-$85 fir a couple others. Breakfast or lunch included!

Years ago I did focus groups with the local electric and gas company. They’d bring in a catered sandwich array and soft drinks and we’d all sit around and talk about what the power company could do to serve us better. Anytime lowering rates was mentioned we were steered to other topics. 

Archived