SASS Wire Forum

Thanks to Doc McCandless

Cibola Al

I recently read a thread here discussing how SASS numbers were down. Doc McCandless has created a SASS/CAS Facebook group that now has over 4,000 members. Lots of people getting excited about shooting old timey guns, and quite a few are joining SASS. Seems like he might be reaching some of the slightly younger crowd, but there are plenty of old timers there who are sharing their wisdom with us new folks. Doc's doing good work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/247150769193328/

this sounds a good idea , i will check it out , already involved and trying to recruit within my circle , we do need to expand the group for the future as some of us will be going by the wayside in years to come , im not planning to go soon but getting realistic in all my thinking these day , it has resulted in some frivolous spending lately 

He puts a lot of time and effort into posts on that page.  He also represents the sport well.

I have used different methods, including online resources, to publicize the game and to recruit new shooters in my area.  Still trying to determine what methods generate the best “return on investment” as measured by new shooters who show up and then continue in the game.

Social media seems to generate lots of casual interest but I’ve not seen much end result yet.  The old saying “talk is cheap” seems to apply.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I've seen at least half a dozen folks post a pic of their newly issued SASS registration letter on the FB group so there is that at least :)

Wow!  Thank you!   I just saw this.  Yes, I've created a few pages aimed at SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting, and one specifically aimed at towards new shooters, or those just "kicking the tires", and trying to find out what it's all about.  Basically, doing what I can to stir interest.

I'm gratified to see that several of the folks have become SASS-members and proudly included their brand new SASS membership certificates, some with really clever aliases.  Abe E.S. Corpus is a frequent contributor to the page and leaves many thoughtful comments that help steer new members in the right direction.

There are lots of folks asking basic questions, and it's a place where we don't mind repeating answers that were just asked last week, and there is no such thing as a dumb question.  We field them all with as much kindness and respect as we can muster.  Then we point interested folks towards the SASS web site.  

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bgavin said:

The page is gone.

anybody know why?

We're still here... There.

I'm not getting access using the link Cibola Al posted above, nor can I find it in the FB browse.

Can you post the current link here please?
I will play the FB logout game, and see if something got broken.

Logged out, back in... cannot find it at all.
Was my account in the group deleted?

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I'm not getting access using the link Cibola Al posted above, nor can I find it in the FB browse.

Can you post the current link here please?
I will play the FB logout game, and see if something got broken.

Logged out, back in... cannot find it at all.
Was my account in the group deleted?

Haven't been there in a few hours, you haven't been deleted.  I'll check for your account.

Doc is doing a great job!  He and Abe E.S.Corpus are OUTSTANDING ambassadors for the game!  I set up a table at the Greenville Gun Show a few weeks ago.  My husband wanted to sell some custom knives etc.. so I got a table to display bullets, of course, but mostly SASS.  Abe came for half a day and we had such fun.  I brought samples of bullets (projectile) but not any for sale... I brought a bunch of name badges from matches, match books with stages, awards, buckles, Chronicles, and, most importantly, a list of contacts and match dates for every club in SC.  I decked out it my full cowboy gear - chaps, holsters and guns (wire tie strapped).  SO MANY PEOPLE stopped by - ran out of hand outs and made more.  The Greenville Gunfighters shot the next weeekend and there were LOTS of visitors... Personally, I think we need to be where the shooters might be - folks see 3-Gun (at least I did) and it looks like fun - once, maybe...but I was hooked the very first time I shot the four guns at a match where we were making ear plugs... I bet the Gun Show organizers would even give you the table!  I had a blast!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

11 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

I’m a member of that page along with “What’s the call” 

I have learned quite a bit about the rules and how things are done on that page. And Doc doesn’t tolerate the BS and kicks people off with no hesitation. He runs a tight ship.

Thank you!

Please don't misunderstand, the only reason I ban someone is when they belittle a new or prospective shooter.  We had one such when they climbed on a shooter who was asking about lighter loads in a .45, scolding him for not shooting ammo loaded, "as it was meant to be".  I won't tolerate rude behavior towards folks taking their first tentative steps in this game.

I appreciate all the participation, we've had many veteran shooters helping out, guiding new shooters on their journey into the game.  And quite a few new SASS members!

20 hours ago, McCandless said:

Thank you!

Please don't misunderstand, the only reason I ban someone is when they belittle a new or prospective shooter.  We had one such when they climbed on a shooter who was asking about lighter loads in a .45, scolding him for not shooting ammo loaded, "as it was meant to be".  I won't tolerate rude behavior towards folks taking their first tentative steps in this game.

I appreciate all the participation, we've had many veteran shooters helping out, guiding new shooters on their journey into the game.  And quite a few new SASS members!

Doc
I can see how it may have seem I was say you'd kick people off for no reason, That was not the intent and I do hope folks here understand what real BS is. Getting into a heated discussion is one thing but belittling and berating is something altogether different. 
I appreciate that once in a while you do a little house cleaning and let everyone know without naming names that the herd got a little thinner and politely remind everyone the page is a productive environment. 

Really appreciate the hard work and the sharing of knowledge

Archived