SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Blackhawk hammers on Vaqueros

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

I have seen a few videos on replacing standard Vaqueros hammers with those of a Superblack Hawk.   The rational is that the SBH hammers are lower and better suited to duelist type shooting.

Has anyone done this? Is there a good video of this procedure?

Thanks Compadres,

Col. Del Rio

Most everyone shooting Vaqueros has had it done . I know there are lots of disassembly videos on YouTube. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for there.

It is a simple one for one swap. Yes, youtube is a good resource. There are a few really good resources you can Google that have knowledgeable people giving you good instruction. As always, buyer beware. Great time to do some further mods...

I did the hammer swap for my wife, she has small hands and it was difficult for her to pull the hammer back without moving her hands all over the gun to reach them. I ordered Super Blackhawk hammers from Numrich, they were around $35 each. The installation takes about 30 minutes your first time out of the gate. Here is a good video on how it is done:

Take it apart

Put it back together.  Used to be a Ruger vid on putting it back together, but dang if I can find it this morning, but pretty much reverse the disassembly.

I like the SBH hammers whether shooting one handed or two.

Midway has had them back in stock for two or three weeks, maybe more - ordered three of 'em a couple weeks ago, Just checked and they currently show in stock @ $29.49.

Archived