SASS Wire Forum

EOT

JohnWesleyHardin

Taking off from Iowa in my camper to go to EOT.  It will be my first one.   I can't wait to get there.  Any advice from any seasoned veterans out there?

Soak it all in, you’ll be busy. If I can answer any questions stop by the gate and ask. 

2 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

Taking off from Iowa in my camper to go to EOT.  It will be my first one.   I can't wait to get there.  Any advice from any seasoned veterans out there?

Have fun.....And lots of water does not hurt...

Texas Lizard

39 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Drink more than just water. Make sure you get some electrolytes in you also. It’s very easy to get dehydrated there because if the altitude. 

Don't any of you guys ski????

It's only like 7k altitude... Not like yer going to Base Camp at Everest:lol:

23 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

7k from 300ft...Still has some problems...And I am not in the shape I was hoping for...

Texas Lizard

How was base camp at Everest???

Yep, stay hydrated, slop on high-PF sunscreen and go easy on the adult beverages after shooting.  When dining at a local restaurant when the waiter asks "red or green" inquire which is hotter before making your selection if you are not used to spicy foods.  Keep your guns covered when not shooting.  It can get very dusty during EOT.  Are your camping on range?

The  advice we got on our first trip, hydrate, lip balm, sunscreen, eye drops, nasal saline spray, sinus rinse, electrolytes and remember it's a marathon not a sprint. For for those of us that live at 600' and never been skiing except on water, the air seems pretty thin at 7000'. try Chili Hills and Pizza Barn in Edgewood.

Most of all have fun, it's a great time.

Randy

As long as none of your “buddies” will be there...you should do alright...

15 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

7000 ft is indeed like going to "base camp" for some people. The altitude is one of the major reasons that I no longer attend. 

Good Luck JWH!  Looks like some good advice from some seasoned folks.  Just go have fun.  Scores/times are just a happy by-product of all your work. Just do you. Report back!

Look out for Whistling Will from Canada ,,,, He bites :P Not really ,,,,, He's a fine young Man ...

Just don't tell him I said So ...

Jabez Cowboy

12 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

The  advice we got on our first trip, hydrate, lip balm, sunscreen, eye drops, nasal saline spray, sinus rinse, electrolytes and remember it's a marathon not a sprint. For for those of us that live at 600' and never been skiing except on water, the air seems pretty thin at 7000'. try Chili Hills and Pizza Barn in Edgewood.

Most of all have fun, it's a great time.

Randy

So what will it be like for those of us who live at 0'?

49 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

So what will it be like for those of us who live at 0'?

Walk at a reasonable pace, take the shuttle up the hill to your RV if camping onsite and go easy on the adult beverages and you will do fine.  However if you have trouble getting enough oxygen at sea level FR could be hard on you.

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

The air will seem a bit thin. We’ll miss our humidity (thankfully).  

Randy

Thanks. But I sure won't miss our humidity at all! :D

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Walk at a reasonable pace, take the shuttle up the hill to your RV if camping onsite and go easy on the adult beverages and you will do fine.  However if you have trouble getting enough oxygen at sea level FR could be hard on you.

Thanks for the advice.  I do get plenty of oxygen at sea level so I guess I'll be fine.

7 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

yeah, like live in Denver :P

Lot's of Albuquerque is a mile or higher, but we're not anal about it. ;)

6 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

go easy on the adult beverages

My family all lives at sea level (on the water), when Miss Mari and I got married we had the reception at the restaurant on top of Sandia Crest (10,678 feet).  One bottle of champagne per table practically had them all napping.  Great economy measure!

29 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Lot's of Albuquerque is a mile or higher, but we're not anal about it. ;)

Did you guys know that you are more the... What... Burglary Capitol of the nation... Something like that.

But yer not anal about that either:lol:

46 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Did you guys know that you are more the... What... Burglary Capitol of the nation... Something like that.

Nope, per capita #1 in auto thefts and a murder rate exceeding Chicago or Baltimore.  ABQ is gangland.  I had to move out.

22 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Nope, per capita #1 in auto thefts and a murder rate exceeding Chicago or Baltimore.  ABQ is gangland.  I had to move out.

When I lived in ABQ it didn't bother me much.  I worked for a while in Washington DC's war zone.  They had more murders within 5 blocks of where I was than all of Bernalillo county.  Plus I couldn't pack heat in DC (although I did).

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Usually in most things we're last in the nation, although Mississippi comes through on a few. 

Archived