SASS Wire Forum

Manly Soap For Manly Men

Subdeacon Joe

There's Soap That Makes You Smell Like Gunpowder, Campfire, and Whiskey

here's nothing quite like the smell of the outdoors, especially when you've been dealing with gunpowder, sitting around a campfire, drinking whiskey. Now, that of course sounds like deadly combination, but that's also kind of the point. To live dangerously, to live like a cowboy! If you'd rather live in your McMansion, listening to Kenny G on your Amazon Echo in the bathtub, while lathering your skin with essential oils, you may need this manly soap substitute. It'll make you smell like a cowboy, without having to experience all of the life-threatening danger of the outdoors.

I ran out of soap once while on a Med cruise. All they had in the ships store was Camay bar soap. We were not a co-ed Navy back then so why did they have a bunch of Camay I don't know. I bought it and it worked as intended to clean with. Manly no but it worked.

9 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

I ran out of soap once while on a Med cruise. All they had in the ships store was Camay bar soap. We were not a co-ed Navy back then so why did they have a bunch of Camay I don't know. I bought it and it worked as intended to clean with. Manly no but it worked.

My wife got me started on Camay and I've used it for years.  It is as close to non-allergenic as you can get for the money...and it's cheap.  I get ten packages at a time (30 bars) from Amazon once a year.

Soap....Shmoap.....I go down to the creek and beat myself on the rocks.:P

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

You can be manly if you want to, for $8 a bar, but I believe I'll stick to Dial.

Aren't you glad you use Dial?  Don't you wish everybody did?

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Well, if you'd bathe more than twice a year you could use soap instead of rocks :P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Weird. What year was this? The same thing happened on my ship.

I started using Zest in boot camp. I have used it almost exclusively ever since.

If I want to smell like a manly man I just have to go through my day. 

I can just see Hipsters, or whatever label they use now, clamoring for that “manly man” Outlaw soap. I used to get the biggest kick out of all the “Lumberjacks” I encountered in downtown Portland. :lol:

Duke Cannon.

Pricey, but there's somethin' about soap that you can get in an ammo can with a screwdriver or hatchet.  ^_^

Good stuff, too.  ;)

4 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

You don't have to go  to all that trouble.  I'm sure someone would be happy to beat you on the rocks and  save you the effort.  :P :lol:

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can just see Hipsters, or whatever label they use now, clamoring for that “manly man” Outlaw soap. I used to get the biggest kick out of all the “Lumberjacks” I encountered in downtown Portland. :lol:

Portland hipsters are a very odd lot.  Of course every time I see one I start humming Monty Python's "Lumberjack Song" figuring it has to fit.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Duke Cannon.

Pricey, but there's somethin' about soap that you can get in an ammo can with a screwdriver or hatchet.  ^_^

Good stuff, too.  ;)

>Duke Cannon Hatchet made of sharp US steel forged to genuine American hickory<

Boy howdy, I'd like to see how they forge that axe head to that wood handle. Even if they cold forged it, so it didn't set the handle on fire, seems like the pounding would break the handle.

You know what the neatest thing about Dial is? It's soap - it gets you clean. But just about any soap gets you clean.

No, it's that little divot on the back of the bar.

IMG_20190612_151141.thumb.jpg.3956831b4e2ce2c391740d05d6668029.jpg

When the bar you are using gets so worn down that there's just a little sliver left, and most people would throw it away, you just get yourself a new bar of Dial, get it wet, get the sliver wet, and set the sliver into the little divot. When they dry they have melded into one piece of soap.

IMG_20190612_151230.thumb.jpg.df45d7eecd97d84cf830018b7b3d9e37.jpg

You actually can use all the soap you paid for.

Alpo, I first read that li'l nugget of a "Helpful Hint" right here on the Wire many, many years ago.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall it being presented by our own Mr Rod, of Forty fame.  :)

MINTY TASTE?

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Great idea. Now I'll meld all my Dove, Dial, Ivory Snow, Caress, and Irish Spring slivers together and make Aquafresh™ soap!

Barney Miller episode, and one of the cops showed Mrs. Miller a cardboard box full of slivers. He told her that when he had enough he melted them down and made another bar.

23 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Alpo, I first read that li'l nugget of a "Helpful Hint" right here on the Wire many, many years ago.

I'll give you another helpful hint.

They package soap while it's still damp, so when you unwrap a new bar to use, it gets used up faster.

If you take your soap and unwrap it and let it dry, it will last longer in use.

I buy mine at Sams - 20 or so bars at a time.

IMG_20190612_154959.jpg

29 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

One other suggestion from The Tightwad Gazette Was to use a grater on those slivers and use them as laundry soap.

I could foresee a tragic mixup happening there between the bathroom and the kitchen, especially if you make your own pizza. :blink::wacko:

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I could foresee a tragic mixup happening there between the bathroom and the kitchen, especially if you make your own pizza. :blink::wacko:

Not so tragic, grandma would not have washed your mouth out with soap if it were poisonous.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Weird. What year was this? The same thing happened on my ship.

I started using Zest in boot camp. I have used it almost exclusively ever since.

If I want to smell like a manly man I just have to go through my day. 

That happened I think on my second Med cruise Dec77 -July78.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My wife got me started on Camay and I've used it for years.  It is as close to non-allergenic as you can get for the money...and it's cheap.  I get ten packages at a time (30 bars) from Amazon once a year.

I certainly understand that is works but maybe out of habit I stuck with Dial. If it happened again I would not have hesitated to use it again. 

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yesterday, at Wally World's check out line, there was a prolonged conversation about soap dishes. I thought to myself, who the "heck" uses bar soap anymore.  I use:

sku_222929_size_16-fl-oz_01.png?v=1538580785

and Hubby uses:

Image result for trader joe's tea tree soap

Me. Liquid soap leaves me leaving slimy. I do use it at our farm since bar soap doesn't work with gyp water.

JHC

I’ve used Duke Cannon Big Ass soap for quite  a while. It’s costly but lasts a lonnng time.  :)

4 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

That happened I think on my second Med cruise Dec77 -July78.

Funny. It was on our Med Cruise in 82. I wonder if Camay was just such a good deal that Navy supply officers snatched it up to save money. We had Zest and Camay in the ship’s store. The Camay was super cheap. 

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall it being presented by our own Mr Rod, of Forty fame.  :)

Nope.  I got that from here, too.  Don't recall who it was, but I've done it ever since.

Pretty sure it was me. I know I've posted that before, although possibly not on this forum.

But you know how it is. Guy over at Smith and Wesson was posting about his Thompson, and he had an L drum. I posted that "maybe you already know this, but ..." and he said that yes he knew. That two years previously, when he first got the gun, he'd made a post about it and I'd told him then.

I told him that if he made another post about it in two more years, I'd most likely tell him again. :)

Like Yoda said the last time he saw me - THE CRS IS STRONG IN THIS ONE.

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Funny. It was on our Med Cruise in 82. I wonder if Camay was just such a good deal that Navy supply officers snatched it up to save money. We had Zest and Camay in the ship’s store. The Camay was super cheap. 

A GS 12 in Procurement owned stock in P&G and Unilever.

Archived