SASS Wire Forum

SASS related- WTB Silver Pesos THANKS FOUND SOME!

You might check out Mexican Reales, they were produced until 1897. Check out your local coin shop or ebay. Some were faked so you need to be careful. They were traded in the SW United States before the US mint started making US silver dollars. 

If you aren't locked into Mexican coins the Chilean Peso coin is nice, and has a great big 1 PESO on the back, with no mention of country. Cheap, too.

31 minutes ago, Lynyrd Skynyrd said:

I just checked, I thought I had some. If you are not in a hurry I am going down to Ensenada fishing in a few weeks and will bring some back for you.

Thanks that would be great, I like the Mexican Peso because of the eagle holding the snakes, that's the side I use.   

Im looking for the coins about the size of the us silver dollar, they don't have to be real silver.  The fake ivory grips on my SAASS pistols have the eagle holding the snakes on them so I kind of wanted my rifle and shotgun to have them mounted in the stocks.

Ebay has a bunch of them for sale, just put 1961 Mexican Peso in the search and they will come up.

1 hour ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Ebay has a bunch of them for sale, just put 1961 Mexican Peso in the search and they will come up.

I was at the Wanamacher gun show in Tulsa about 8 years ago and bought 40 of that type of Peso for about 20 cents each. These prices on ebay are really high in my opinion. If not then I really lucked out.

I give them with my tip at a local Mexican restaurant. We now have 2 in the area that are owned and staffed mostly by Mexicans. I don't give them the Pesos just the one owned and staffed by gringos.

You might try checking a local coin shop for their misc. coin offerings. 

There are replica Mexican pesos, some dated 1872 and some dated 1882 that I have seen offered at Gold Rush Days in Old Sacramento. I bought a bunch of them, but I'm not selling any. Just wanted to let you know they are around They are the same size as a Morgan silver dollar and are made of steel. I paid $1.00 each for them, but you might do better. Good luck!

The older pesos had silver in them which would raise the cost, I think that after 1965 they dropped the silver content which would make them much cheaper.

9 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The older pesos had silver in them which would raise the cost, I think that after 1965 they dropped the silver content which would make them much cheaper.

They had just a little silver in them. Those that I mentioned above were mostly from the mid 50s to early 60s. They are 10% silver or about 1.6 grams. According to the interweb they were produced from 1957 to 1965. They will shine up nicely but tarnish quickly. I have some Pesos from the 30s and 40s that are 72% silver

23 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Those are reasonably priced compared to the Morelos mentioned on ebay.

They look pretty good too.

Archived