SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Preacherman

Thoughts, Saeco 38-40 bullet?

Hi, anybody have experience, opinions of Saeco Bullet Mold #401 38-40 WCF (401 Diameter) 190 Grain Flat Nose bullet?

Thanks, Preacherman

I have a Saeco #62401 mold, and the shoulder is problematic in rifles for a couple reasons - #1, it catches on the chamber mouth and #2, my 1873's are so short-throated, the shoulder hits the rifling before the round is fully chambered. It chambers fine in my '66's and Marlins.

The best mold I've found came from NEI Handtools, #401-195-WCF

NEI.jpg

Thanks! What i was thinking. I'm currently using an RCBS Cowboy bullet, but the crimp groove is somewhat anemic as the nose is slightly undersized and the crimp doesn't hold unless I aggressively crimp with Lee factory crimp. Not the best situation for me. Always in my head, "is it gonna push"? Could I get a few bullets from you to try? Been spending a lot of money on too many unsuccessful bullet ventures in this endeavor. Trial and error can be painful.

PM me your address.

Could I get a few bullets from you to try? Been spending a lot of money on too many unsuccessful bullet ventures in this endeavor. Trial and error can be painful.

Preacherman - but it sure fills up the mold's drawer :P

<--- 92 and counting for this guy. Four of them are duplicates, so 88 different molds. :)