SASS Wire Forum

Chernobyl, the HBO mini-series

Did anyone watch it, form an opinion?  I don’t have HBO but I borrowed my daughter’s account, which conveniently let me watch Deadwood at the same time.  :D

it appears that the KGB Colonel, Putin, was immediately offended because it was decreed that a Russian production of Чернобыль (Chernobyl) will be produced in order to tell the truth about the incident.  If the movie shows up within 7 months, you will know that Comrade Putin was very pi$$3d about the depictions of Soviet denials and coverups. Incidentally these were led by the KGB, he might have first hand knowledge.

I have many thoughts on the series, some of which are more about the depictions of life than about the “accident”.

By the way, one of the possible misrepresentations possible, is that the accident was caused by the West.

Ladas are truly horrible cars.  Government Officials rode in Mercedes. These days, they ride in Maybach, a rebadged S class.  Moscovites make sure they use crosswalks in front of a Maybach.  :D  But I digress...

One comment I have is that the depictions of smoking are too gentle. Smoking was indeed everywhere, but only the soldiers are shown smoking unfiltered cigarettes. Everyone else who smokes has filtered cigarettes; this is very unrealistic, also cigs in СССР 1986 were horrible , much like those in Germany in the mid 60s.

while the official death toll is small, it is never reported if anyone died after 1989 because of the incident.  The pensions offered to those who helped were minuscule.

The series shows the killing and burial/entombment of the pets destroyed and a few other nuclear graveyards, but the scale is much much larger. Entire roadways were buried and repaved.  By now I expect oaks are drilling their taproots through the cement caps to get at what is beneath.

there was no mention of the top secret radar installation nearby, and it would not have contributed to the story except for being many more vehicles and people involved.

the series shows abbreviated trials of three people. Nobody wants to see a real trial. There were at least ten tried and sentenced.

The Soviets purchased robots from the West to help with the cleanup, but because they did not admit the severity of the radiation, the robots died in minutes instead of the 90 days required.

I watched it.  Probably the bleakest, most depressing series I’ve seen in a long time.  I did not expect an exactly historically correct depiction. It focuses on Legasov and his explanation of how the plant’s staff caused the reactor to explode, and the way the Soviet bureaucracy lied about everything.  So while it is not a documentary, the series did give me a better idea of why the incident occurred.  But once was enough; I don’t want to watch it again like Game Of Thrones or Deadwood.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Thanks 'MMH" for your insight.

Sounds like you spent a lot time in that part of the world.

May I ask-Just how many languages do you speak?

Respectfully,

OLG

Speak well?  None.  Fumble with? About five.

I'm on episode three.

AS I understand it the international community knew that design was an accident waiting to happen.

Archived