SASS Wire Forum

GROUNDHOG-21' RULE

We all know about the 21' rule in Gun/knife fights. Knife guy can get ya before you can draw! Here this out. I got my new SIG 320 M17 on the range, ....I'm 3 mags into the break in process.....gun is drawn and I'm taking down plates......In my peripheral vision, left side , young groundhog comes charging out of the brush and across my line of fire......I don't know if the first shot hit him, but I know that #2,3,4,5,and 6 surely did! As he snaps and claws in his death throes I realize if he had been coming straight at me I'd have been a goner!. If nothin' else, I would have shot my own toes trying to get him off my pantleg!  Now I know why the old timers all shot them with rifles and optics 200 yards out! Watch yer back out there....it's a dangerous world we live in!

Had same situation with skunk several years ago, But he was running towards me.  Ruger Blackhawk was empty, and he didn't make it....GW

Had you been shooting .45 auto, might have been DRT on first shot.....   ^_^

As a very much younger groundhog shooter, I had to put as many as 15 .22  rifle shots into one to keep it down.  My aim has improved somewhat since then.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

The "21 foot rule" was generally based on an average uniformed officer with a clear threat and exposed holster being able to draw, fire two shots, and get off line. 

Very few regular folks can do that from proper concealment with a younger, more limber threat.

Here is a link to a video:

You can be a fast draw and a fast shooter when you initiate the action.

But most of us have a 'Reaction' time that isn't exactly lightning quick, if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, the P320 is a great choice.    Mine is in .357 Sig caliber and I love it.

..........Widder

Archived