SASS Wire Forum

I hate it!

Utah Bob #35998

Yard work. Specifically mowing. Stupid spring weather has the grass aka weeds growing like.....well weeds. Farmers are dang happy.

But having worked up a perceived sweat. I am now relaxing with a frosty mug of Descartes Obsidian Stout from the great Northwest. :wub:

My feet hurt too. I’m breaking in a pair of repro WWII jump boots.

I may need another brew. :rolleyes:

22B60021-DB1E-4ED6-B1A2-2EAE043369B3.jpeg

4D1F70A0-C57D-4FCB-A471-6D89D6273A18.jpeg

I'll help you Bob! Just finished my lawn too. I wasn't going to have a beverage but just for you I will! Anything to help a pard out I always say.

After spending my time in the desert, I swore to never complain about mowing again. I'll complain about it raining so much that the grass is more like a jungle, but not the mowing itself.

10 minutes ago, DocWard said:

After spending my time in the desert, I swore to never complain about mowing again. I'll complain about it raining so much that the grass is more like a jungle, but not the mowing itself.

I learned to hate grass growing up in Florida where it grows an inch an hour.

We can't have lawns here.  California Central Valley ~ perpetual drought.

I did just park the Husqvarna 4-stroke weedeater, though - it hit 102°  and rising and Homey don' do the hot stuff no mo'.  devil.gif

Now, to see what's cold in the box...

And those boots look reeeally good!  big-grin.gif

2 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Orthotic inserts for the boots.

Your feet will thank you.

Goes without saying. If only they’d had them in ‘66. ;)

I mowed lawns for spending money as a teenager, hated it.  Always hated mowing as an adult.  Now as a retiree the only thing that I hate worse than mowing is the prospect that I may get to the point where I am no longer physically able to do it.  So now I mow to prove that I can mow.  Like bending over to pick up a penny, gotta prove I can still do it. 

Bob, these are the best inserts I have found for my boots. 

Believe me, I have tried a bunch of them.

Edit: the link would probably help...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airplus-Men-s-Ultra-Work-Memory-Plus-Insole-Men-s-7-13/44781802

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have applied to the government to declare my lot an official weed sanctuary, and asking for a million dollar grant.

Hell, everybody else is getting in on this, why shouldn't I?

Just tell 'em you have a "darter snail", or make up something like a weed worm???

I've never minded mowing and edging the lawn. It was my brother's job when I was a kid; but he paid me to do it.

I did get tired of the push mower (they do make awesome abs) and told Hubby that he needed to do the mowing. He bought a power mower.

I mow our little lawn. It doesn't take long. I did mow the weeds in the pasture. For some reason, Hubby did it this year.

Lawn mowing is a curse, but it sometimes has a good ending, i.e. cold brewski. I never saw a reason to limit it to just one. 

even share the wealth with my neighbor, Eugenio. Two apiece made the conversation a bit more jovial. 

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yard work. Specifically mowing. Stupid spring weather has the grass aka weeds growing like.....well weeds. Farmers are dang happy.

But having worked up a perceived sweat. I am now relaxing with a frosty mug of Descartes Obsidian Stout from the great Northwest. :wub:

My feet hurt too. I’m breaking in a pair of repro WWII jump boots.

I may need another brew. :rolleyes:

UB, your story has touched my heart.  :rolleyes:

Never before have I heard of anyone having a more difficulties than you.  ;)

Please accept this comment as a sincere token of my deepest sympathy. :P

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don't think breaking in jump boots at our advanced age is going to help your feet. Mine are broken in and comfy after years of wear, but I'm not anxious to put them on again soon. Them things are hot in summer weather!  ^_^

Been wearing them for 5 days. Soaked em in water on day 1 and wore them till they dried. They’re starting to soften up nicely. I put some good orthotic insoles in em. They should be in good shape for the Independence Day parade.

I don't do lawns.  Petey hurt himself once so I mowed the front yard and I can't say I enjoyed it.  I always used to really enjoy gardening but now I am old and it seems an awful lot like work.

I have a rider but I push mow. Ok, self propelled. Two reasons: I like they way it looks and I can still do it. Had a 20' fall in 06 and shattered my legs. Doc was going to amputate but my wife wouldn't let them. Said I'd never use them again. Ha! Watch me mow my lawn! 

Har!  I love my time on the yard tractor!  Hearing protectors keep out the world (and the wife).  I'm in my own element, and I get no complaints from SWMBO since I'm doing something useful.  I love thick, green turf.  Great for croquet and badminton.  Walk 100' from the beach to the lawn, and the soft, cool grass feels fantastic on your toes.  Grab a cold one from the cooler on the patio and sit in the shade for a bit.  

LL

17 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I push mow.

Mom bought a self-propelled mower but Dad wouldn't have it.  Ever.  He also had a sling blade for emergencies.

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Been wearing them for 5 days. Soaked em in water on day 1 and wore them till they dried. They’re starting to soften up nicely. I put some good orthotic insoles in em. They should be in good shape for the Independence Day parade.

Have you considered flip flops? 

However if you are planning a Independence Parade jump, probably not a good choice. :D

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Have you considered flip flops? 

However if you are planning a Independence Parade jump, probably not a good choice. :D

I’m riding in a Jeep in the parade. :lol:

48 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m riding in a Jeep in the parade. :lol:

Then you really should have those boots ready-:lol:

Just in case you gotta push it........:P

I say that as the 34+ year owner of a CJ-7 that I bought new in '85. ^_^

OLG

It takes us 3 1/2 hours to cut our lawn on a sit down John Deere mower with a 58" swath.  My wife does half and I do the other.  I listen to the old radio shows through my hearing aids with the Winchester hearing muffs over top.  I made the mistake of turning my old horse pastures into lawns..  A lot of work, but it sure looks good from the road.

I had to laugh at an ex-girlfreind's son. He's big into fitness and working out. When he bought his first house he went out and bought a reel type lawn mower. "I'll get a workout and the lawn cut at the same time". He made it half way through the postage stamp front yard, left the reel mower where he stopped, and went to buy a power mower.

I should pull a Tom Sawyer on the walkers and joggers in my neighborhood. They excercise when all they have to do is mow my grass! It's fun! Exciting! Rare opportunity!

45 minutes ago, Stogie said:

I had to laugh at an ex-girlfreind's son. He's big into fitness and working out. When he bought his first house he went out and bought a reel type lawn mower. "I'll get a workout and the lawn cut at the same time". He made it half way through the postage stamp front yard, left the reel mower where he stopped, and went to buy a power mower.

Sounds like Hubby.

BTW, when I came home yesterday, he'd mowed our "postage-stamp" lawn with a power mower. It was over 100 degrees.  I would have mowed it today as I will be home all day.  So, whatever. ;)

had to give up push mowing due to health.

but put me on the range riding mower and I can do 4 hours straight!  Love it!  I always wanted one in my early life and now the club pays for the gas so I can have fun.

tractor_1f69c.png  ours is open air John Deere X300--not like the picture

Archived