SASS Wire Forum

12 ga shotgun load

Cassalong Hopidy

I shoot factory Win AA LRLN shotshells in matches but reload for practice.  My wife has started shooting and I would like an even lighter load for her.  I have been using Rem STS hulls, 7/8 oz. #8 shot, CB 0178-12 gray wads and 15.0 gr. of Clays (MEC 600 Jr. powder bushing #27).  I have a #22 bushing which would drop 12.3 gr. of Clays.  Has anyone tried that concoction (or something else with a smaller charge than 15.0 gr)?  I know many could recommend other combinations of shot weight, wads and powder, but am really interested in knowing first if I can make a workable soft load with what I have or maybe some bushing between 22 and 27.  Thanks.

I normally shoot 13gr of clays with 7/8 oz shot,,  12.3 is even more than you need for her,, but try that,,    I've loaded 10 gr  for my wife and it worked well 

Cass, I use a #24 bushing for Clays with 7/8 oz of shot and that works well for me.  I guess you could go lower, you just need to test it out.  You can also get one of those adjustable bushings and use it, set it for whatever you want.

Kajun

A couple of years back, I was in Wally-World when they had AA Featherlites and they had the $2 rebate going on so I put 10 boxes in the cart.  Sawmill Mary asked why we needed them. I told her that they have less recoil.  She says, "What's the fun in that?".   I got her to try a few but she didn't think they had enough power.  I ended up selling the balance.  

All she has shot is Fiocchi LITEd 7/8 oz.  The hulls fall out of her stock Stoeger Uplander.  

Today's her birthday and Grafs have HER load on sale so we stopped in and got a flat to stock up.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3482

I was talking to one of my CAS hero's sometime back and he seemed shocked that I was shooting 13.9 grn's of Clays in my loads.  After some conversation and some testing, I am down to a #19 bushing (10.6 grains) of Clays and 7/8oz of shot (#7.5).  Great soft load and has knocked down every load I have hit.

I did test down to a #18 (10.1 grains) and it was too light for my wifes SKB with inertia trigger but worked well in mine, so test, test, test before a match.

My bad shoulder sure likes the lighter load.  but I still find myself shooting under the target, I chalk it up to overcompensating to less muzzle rise compared to my older load.  I will work through this with a bit of practice...

Totes

Thanks all.  I’ll load a few and see how they run.   Mechanical triggers on the SKBs so shouldn’t be a problem in that regard. And she has no problem hitting the targets,

OK I know blackpowder is dirty but 35-38 grains of 2-F whatever under 1 ounce of shot  is VERY mild, softer than any smokeless load and may be worth your trouble. 

PLUS ONE to J-BAR!!  ABSOLUTELY (Stolen famous movie line).  I go just a tad farther.  Cause I are a card carrying recoil WIMP.  All Brass hulls, 40Gr APP 2f, Nitro Over Powder Wad, a 10Ga plastic wad with the petals cut for a 1 Oz payload.  Sweet.  Clean up is a breeze.  Same caveat as anyone.  You do have to HIT the target.  So long as I do my part, everything I hit goes down.

Oh, forgot ..... 18 1/2 inch barrels with wide open chokes.  SLAM ..... popper goes down.

BESIDES ....... EVERYBODY knows ..... BP and Subs are absolutely MORE FUNNER than that heathen fad smokeless stuff.  :rolleyes:

PLUS ..... EVERYBODY knows REAL cowboy shotguns gots exposed HAMMERS.  Real Hammers.

Archived