SASS Wire Forum

Stepping up to help your Local Club

Buckaroo Bubba

Another thread got me thinking...

Our clubs need more people stepping up to help. There was another thread about a club shutting down at the end of the year.

Folks, if we don't want more clubs to shut down, more people need to jump in and help. Get involved. As with other areas of this sport the population is aging. There are folks who have run some of these clubs for a long time. We can not expect the same folks to run the clubs forever. Once these people decide they can't or don't want to do it anymore, then what? Is there enough people willing and ready to take over? If not, the club shuts down, more than likely permanently. 

Ask to help out at your local club. Ask to be trained. Ask to be part of the future of your club. Especially the younger generation.

I think one thing that gets missed is how rewarding it is to run a club. When you get people coming up to you after a match and they say "Thank you, we had a great day", or "This was a great weekend, I really enjoyed it". People want to get away from everyday life at our matches and have fun. Being able to provide that is very rewarding.

Not only with being the President or Officer of a club but with all the little things that need done when running a match. Pitch in, show up for setup, paint targets, help with scores, help with awards, volunteer for something. Nothing ruins a club faster than having Club Officers get "Burned Out". When you have a couple people doing setup by themselves all the time. That gets old very quick.

Even during the match, make sure you do something, spot, pick brass, etc. I know some folks have limitations but everyone can't sit in the shade.

Just something to think about...

I just delivered eleven range tables to a struggling club trying to get going again Sunday.  I had actually made 12, but my wife saw them and said they were just the right size for her to use as a potting table.  A happy wife, a happy life, so she kept one of the tables.

I made these at no cost to the club and had to borrow a good pard's trailer to get them there, but hopefully it will help them set-up this new range.

I also have several different targets and stands which I plan to share in the future.  It is a small club, but now has room to expand with the proper support.

Good Luck White Horse Riders.

Paradise Pass just got dry enough to mow several large areas, including the long range. I spent 9 hours on a mower Saturday. While I was doing that a half dozen others were working on cleaning stages and getting ready for our State match. Three new shooters showed up to help and that was great to see!!!!

Never enough help but we have some dedicated folks that really do a bunch. 

Something else folks can do is to help out to recruit those new members.  Whether it's making posters and hanging them on public bulletin boards, distributing them to gun shops, sporting good stores, etc or manning a booth at an expo, help bring those potential new shooters in.  Helping in this way doesn't require lifting steel either!

These are all great things...ideas...thoughts, etc...but do you really think those that don't help don't know that clubs need help??

All the clubs that I've ever been associated with have always made it known that we needed help. And guess what? We still had the same group of people doing all the work.

Human nature strikes again! 20% (actually less), do 80% (actually more), of the work.

So yes, if new folks don't get involved, the club will die. Unfortunately this is true for just about everything...including family businesses.

Phantom...aka: Donny Downer

Also, there just isn't the turnout there was a dozen years ago. Some of the monthly matches I attend here don't draw even ten shooters anymore, where they used to have enough for three posses. :(

TO/RO

3 spotters

Shooter

2 people loading

Loading table obverver

Unloading table observer

That's 9 right there. Some are in such poor health, they can't possibly help set the bays or tear down & put away, and life just intervenes for others. Saturday, I think we had ten - two shooters had to leave early for another event in Billings, and I had to leave as soon as I finished shooting to drive a handicapped wedding guest from my daughter's wedding Thursday back to Pocatello. Another shooter fell, injured his shoulder, and didn't finish. That left 6 to help tear down and put away, and no more than 4 of them stayed to do the work.

On the up side, there was a young man (17 or 18) and his mother showed up to watch, so I set him up with my guns & ammo for two stages and he sure looked like he enjoyed it. :)

I was on the board for the state and regional. Two different clubs at the same time. Now it's just the regional and I still do classes at my own place, I'm taking over a cowboy show at the largest shooters roundup in the upper midwest.  Starting a company/u tube thing.  I still help out where I can but I can only do so much I enjoy helping out new shooters whenever I can,  and probably will always do so.  It's a fine line before you start to get burned out. 

I'd rather help when I can than have it feel like I have to be there every time all day long. 

7 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

@Buckaroo Bubba I'm always happy to help. I know my work schedule wont allow me to shoot with tusco the rest of the year but if there's other things that need done when I am home ya know how to get ahold of me. 

Oh I know. You have been a great help this year. Thank you!

I hope this thread didn't come off the wrong way. I wasn't trying to direct this at anyone or any club specifically. Was just hoping this to be a word of encouragement for people to jump in.

There used to be a club when I first started. After awhile the people who ran the club just got burned out, they didn't receive enough help and it shut down. I understand that every club has other things/reason why things don't work out. I get that. I know some folks aren't physically capable of certain things, and that's fine.

I often worry about the club I help run. What if I couldn't do it anymore, what if something happened to me, would someone be ready and willing to run the club? That's where this thread is coming from. I feel like our club is very fortunate. We typically get a lot of help and always have. We have always had great leadership and a surplus of hard workers. I am thankful for that!

I have also noticed that sometimes people won't get involved until they are asked to help. Also the reason for this thread.

Have a great day!!

Good post Bubba.....Now why not come out to Firelands this Saturday and help support a local club! We love when you come to our shoot!

20 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I just delivered eleven range tables to a struggling club trying to get going again Sunday.  I had actually made 12, but my wife saw them and said they were just the right size for her to use as a potting table.  A happy wife, a happy life, so she kept one of the tables.

I made these at no cost to the club and had to borrow a good pard's trailer to get them there, but hopefully it will help them set-up this new range.

I also have several different targets and stands which I plan to share in the future.  It is a small club, but now has room to expand with the proper support.

Good Luck White Horse Riders.

Lone Rider that was a great gesture. I did not realize until you were gone that you made the long trip to deliver these and you were not able to stay and shoot with us.

Thank you!

We sure hope to make this club work.

Thanks for the post Bubba

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good post Bubba.....Now why not come out to Firelands this Saturday and help support a local club! We love when you come to our shoot!

I know it Rye... I always feel bad I can't get out to more of the local clubs. But with my kids and other stuff I can't justify shooting more than twice a month and Brown Twp is so close to me and kinda of have to be at Tusco... actually helping out with a Habitat for Humanity House with our church this Saturday... 

21 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

These are all great things...ideas...thoughts, etc...but do you really think those that don't help don't know that clubs need help??

You are correct. 

I recall seeing the originally posted request for help from the foundered club.  Dozens of views, but zero replies.  Perhaps somebody stepped up, but you couldn't tell it from the postings.  

Every club has:

*those who self-directedly FIND things that need doing and do them. 

*Those who will do (or buy) anything for the club at any time. 

*Those with other life commitments who will help consistent with their outside schedule. 

*Those who are unable to work physically (except shoot, of course), but who will do anything non-physical. 

*those who will help out at matches, but otherwise will only go to the range to practice. 

*those who will help if asked

*those who will hide

*a few who will outright refuse to help, even if asked. 

It takes all kinds. 

Each of us should ask ourselves what category we occupy, and evaluate what the loss of our club(s) would mean to us.  They only exist because somebody pitches in.  We all can benefit from a look in the mirror from time to time. 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Unfortunately until the root cause is addressed the slide will continue. Sass is a great game and it will be a sad day if it goes away. :FlagAm:

5 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Unfortunately until the root cause is addressed the slide will continue. Sass is a great game and it will be a sad day if it goes away. :FlagAm:

and what would he root cause be?

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Been already beat to death and must stay within the wire guidelines.:FlagAm:

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

There is no "Root" cause...like some kinda virus. Some people think that there is...but there isn't.

People that think there is a "Root" cause will never make things better cuz they are out searching for something that isn't there.

Interests and entertainment dollars are fluid. They move around a lot!!

Marketing needs to keep their message fresh...that'll capture as much $$$ as possible if done correctly. But to look at fluctuations in entertainment interest as having some "Root" cause is kinda silly...

IMHO...

Phantom

10 hours ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

I know it Rye... I always feel bad I can't get out to more of the local clubs. But with my kids and other stuff I can't justify shooting more than twice a month and Brown Twp is so close to me and kinda of have to be at Tusco... actually helping out with a Habitat for Humanity House with our church this Saturday... 

Okay, you're excused!! :P Sure would like to see you though!

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Interests and entertainment dollars are fluid. They move around a lot!!

Marketing needs to keep their message fresh...that'll capture as much $$$ as possible if done correctly. 

Where CAS stages are housed within broader shooting facilities, nothing catches the interest of other shooters and markets our sport like an authentic and sharp western looking range.   Other shooters drive by or stop to check out the cowboy town, get invited to come and watch the sport, and pretty soon they show up wanting to play. 

So, in keeping with the OP, working to keep our range facilities in good shape should be thought of as a form of marketing.  Delivering our message is best done while interested people are watching us - - either in person or via media.  But most folks now did not grow up watching TV westerns, so our work and competition is cut out for us, because, as Phantom wrote, 

Interests and entertainment dollars are fluid.

Regarding recruitment:

IMHO, The big stopper to most younger recruits comes when they find out the cost-- four expensive (fixed up) guns, gun leather, boots and costume stuff, reloading equipment, carts, just to start.

Then later on, growing into it, they need to afford back-up guns, high travel costs, RVs, custom smithing--ya all know the rest.  It's tough for a young player to get there, with a family to support.  There are cheaper ways to have just as much fun. 

So the question is whether we can succeed at attracting people, given the constraints.   

I may be odd-man-out here, but personally I don't think it (recruitment) matters that much.  We are what we are.  We just need to shoot CAS style, enjoy it as long as it is here, do our best to bring in new folks, and accept the realities that end up.  We don't necessarily need to grow the sport, or chase after money and profits to enjoy CAS shooting.  We so far have been able to generate the interest and dollars needed to put on matches and maintain facilities.   

I think it would be a mistake to hybridize our sport with other shooting sports (Wild Bunch comes close to that hybridization) or chase after social fads (Steampunk or whatever).  People might partake of and enjoy all those peripheral additions, but the MAIN CAS MATCH will continue to be what attracts and holds us.  Hopefully, it will be the thing that draws in new folks.  If they come after the peripherals, i. e., looking to change us, I think we don't need them.   Let them go shoot in some other sport. 

Just my own humble opinion. 

I hope everyone reading this loves CAS for what it is--pure Cowboy action shooting.  

The younger generation has no interest in the Wild West or the costumes ,they have few or no dollars and want the modern shooting sports if at all. Go after the baby boomers they have the time the memories and most of all the finances.  All been said for years   

Have you ever noticed that Ostriches are strange birds? I watched a nature show about them very interesting. :FlagAm:  

15 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

The younger generation has no interest in the Wild West or the costumes ,they have few or no dollars and want the modern shooting sports if at all. Go after the baby boomers they have the time the memories and most of all the finances.  All been said for years   

Have you ever noticed that Ostriches are strange birds? I watched a nature show about them very interesting. :FlagAm:  

Do you have any statistical data to back this up or is this just your opinion based on...something...???

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Do you have any statistical data to back this up or is this just your opinion based on...something...???

Speaking for myself only, it is just an opinion. 

Just before I retired in 2009, I was surprised to find that less than half of the younger-age (under 40) employees in my CA. State office could tell me who Roy Roger's is/was.   They grew up on Rambo-- Not Autry, Palladin, Matt Dillon, and the others.  Even at the range, they are image-conscious, showing up  in baggy camo fatigues, dressed to play Army--not Cowboy.  They want semiauto guns, not single action.  They want black-and-desert tan military-looking guns with folding stocks and picatinny rails, like Rambo uses.  Wood is out, along with octagonal barrels and brass butt plates.  They don't give a whoop about smoke, unless it is mind-altering smoke.  

Getting these folks to spend oodles of money to gear up and  come and play a foreign (to them) cowboy game is going to be a challenge,  perhaps an impossible one.  Perhaps we will be better off to save the effort and just do without them. 

Just some random thoughts to the posts here. As someone new to CAS, I can tell you that the "younger generation" cannot possibly be interested in something they don't know about. 

They are not communicating on a forum such as this. They are not reading blogs. They are using social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram. 

I myself only found CAS by accident when researching single actions. Now I have an entire friends and family circle interested in it. One which spans the ages 8 to 50. 

Yes cost is a big obstacle. That said, there is plenty of shooters around with enough cowboy guns to arm a small nation. I think if folks could "try before they buy" it may reel them in. 

Also don't cut yourselves short. This is a fascinating hobby, using replica firearms from a very historical era.

Games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 are immensely popular with the younger crowd. Shooting the real deal is the next logical step. They just need to learn how to get there.

I watched it on National Geographic   they clearly showed Ostriches running around as if everything was just fine then they all stuck their heads in the ground  when confused. :FlagAm::P

I don't think the future of this sport lies in the young 'uns! Most of the new shooters I see and meet are 40+ and already have some guns or the funds to get cowboy guns. Just MHO;)

On 6/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, Buckaroo Bubba said:

I hope this thread didn't come off the wrong way. I wasn't trying to direct this at anyone or any club specifically.

I don't think it did, and never imagined you were. I just wanted to make sure you knew that even though I can't make it to the matches I'm happy to help in any way that I can. I wanna make sure my home club will still be there when my schedule lines back up :)

Archived