SASS Wire Forum

Rufus Brady

Last Labor Day, I was returning from the field, visiting a chimpanzee sanctuary, and I tripped and broke my humerus in 3 places.  Out for two months from work.  Went back about Turkey Day and then went out of Govt furlough.  Came back and I tripped again; this time I shattered my knee cap and tibia.  Hospitalized and "house arrest" for another 6 weeks.  Now I am teleworking for a month, then retiring in another 3 weeks after that.  Relearning to walk in therapy.

Glad to be back!

Welcome back, Rufus!  Glad to hear you're on the mend, Bud.  Take it easy, don't push things, and do exactly what the rehab folks say.  We've missed ya'.

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Welcome Back

Don't let them retire you until you are 100%  You likely have beter medical while you still employed.

Actually, I'm a FED!  I keep Blue Cross into retirement with drug coverage AND get Medicare.  The bill for rehab, hospital, ER, etc was almost $30K=We had to pay $300.

BTW: The convalescent/rehab hospital was haunted!

1 hour ago, Rufus Brady said:

BTW: The convalescent/rehab hospital was haunted!

The med will do that to you--way to tell you got the good stuff.

I used to watch the Gargoyles come out where the ceiling and walls meet.  Rather enjoyed it.  

Welcome back,,,,  and no more tripping,,,, even when walking!!

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Please tell us more.

First, I kept seeing "shadow figures" out of the corner of my eye=smoky "clouds" that you never saw directly.  As I am trained as a scientist, I thought/blamed the opiates (Dilaudin and OxyContin)=but they lasted several days after I told them to drop the opiates.  Second, my wife visited me and turned the A/C.  I had two pillows down at the foot of the bed to elevate my leg to cut down swelling.  She turned it (the A/C) down and left  for the night.  The top  pillow lifted about 3-4 inches up into the air.  It was about 10 feet from the a/C.  Went straight back down.  Only did it once!  I watched it for at least an hour and it never did it again, even though the A/C went on and off several times.  Third, a couple of nights later, I woke up needing to use the urinal and all my sheets were pulled down to below my feet before I sat up for the bedpan.  The next morning I was talking to two of the nurses aids and they told me several patients and orderlies reported seeing an older woman wandering the halls late at night who would disappear.  As a scientist, I realize there are many things we don't understand.  Ghosts?  Maybe!  Unknown laws of physics?  My philosophy professor told me there were things that obey the laws of science for which we simply don't understand the rules!

38 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I don't remember ever having a paranormal experience. I guess I didn't get the "good drugs." ;) Thanks for sharing.

Three blocks east of my house, turn right and behind the gym at the high school!

Archived