SASS Wire Forum

age limits

Sheriff Sam

I have checked the handbook numerous times and have found no minimum limit for youngsters. I have seen 13 and under are buckaroo and buckarette, but it doesn't say what the minimum age is or where they allow children to start shooting. I know different states have different laws for hunting and age limits. I'm just wondering so that I know how young they can start shooting other than at the house with myself and her brothers

When they can handle their guns safely and unassisted. My son started at 8; probably could have started at 7, but I wasn't ready for him at that point.

Bring her along to El Posse Grande.  As long as she can safely handle firearms she can shoot.  If she begins with only trying to shoot the scenario with one pistol, or two, and grows into the rifle and shotgun, or is ready for all the guns, she is welcomed.  Our youngest buckaroo was 5 and began with just a pair of 22 pistols.  He just graduated high school and is still shooting with us and is pretty darn good!  We also let a little buckaroo try it with her BB gun rifle.  She loved it but it sure was a bugger to spot.  Most clubs I know of are very supportive of getting the youngsters involved.
The buckaroos also like to pick up brass and usually get some$$$ in tips which sure makes them smile.  All this helps them become comfortable not only with the firearms, but with the people.  Hope to see you soon!

Safely and unassisted is the big part.  If an adult has to touch the fire arm to help during a normal stage, they are not ready.  Fixing jams or malfunctions are something else. 

I had bought all of the firearms for each of two grandsons to start, but they never really exhibited the maturity I felt was necessary until late in high school.  It all depends on the individual.

Like the others said, no stated minimum age. My 8 year old is tiny, she can shoot from the bench with fantastic accuracy and she is surely responsible enough, but she’s just not quite strong enough just yet to shoot from standing.  So if she’s careful enough and strong enough, she can participate! 

We need young shooters!  If they understand safety and practice it, then encourage them.  Look at the age of your next match participants and it becomes painfully obvious why we need them!

2 hours ago, Sawyer said:

We need young shooters!

People keep saying this, but in reality, what happens often is that we start them young (as soon as they can safely handle guns) and, around puberty, they find interests of their own.  Grandson #1 'graduated' to paintball and airsoft (though I will admit he kinda liked Wild Bunch, of which Grandad disapproves.  Another story.)  Grandson #2 discovered music and got a girlfriend.  The future of our sport is and always has been the young to middle-aged adult with disposable income.  If he's got a family, the children will come along until they find their own interests; and so the saga continues.

17 minutes ago, MizPete said:

People keep saying this, but in reality, what happens often is that we start them young (as soon as they can safely handle guns) and, around puberty, they find interests of their own.  Grandson #1 'graduated' to paintball and airsoft (though I will admit he kinda liked Wild Bunch, of which Grandad disapproves.  Another story.)  Grandson #2 discovered music and got a girlfriend.  The future of our sport is and always has been the young to middle-aged adult with disposable income.  If he's got a family, the children will come along until they find their own interests; and so the saga continues.

Yes, but hopefully those that quit coming in their teens and twenties enjoy it enough they come back when they're 35-50; assumin we can hang on that long. I am seeing quite a few around my age(44) on Facebook(and a few here) that are taking an interest. I have no clue how we can attract more in my age group.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes, but hopefully those that quit coming in their teens and twenties enjoy it enough they come back when they're 35-50; assumin we can hang on that long. I am seeing quite a few around my age(44) on Facebook(and a few here) that are taking an interest. I have no clue how we can attract more in my age group.

Well...marketing material wise, I'd show more of the "younger" crowd...maybe some folks that look in shape...healthy...

The perception by many is that our game is full of grouchy old fat guys...while that may be true, we don't have to promote that.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...marketing material wise, I'd show more of the "younger" crowd...maybe some folks that look in shape...healthy...

The perception by many is that our game is full of grouchy old fat guys...while that may be true, we don't have to promote that.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

I wholeheartedly agree Donny :P

Where is this marketing material of which you speak?

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

I wholeheartedly agree Donny :P

Where is this marketing material of which you speak?

Yeah...I'm feeling the Donny moniker sticking :lol:

We see videos...some printed materials...not a whole lot I have to admit.

Dontom

Started Cody James at 10 and shot in the World Championship at 11.  SASS is an unbelievable place for kids to grow up.  SASS Kicker started at 13.  SASS not only helped raise my kids but are helping  them get through college with your donations to the SASS scholarship.  Thank you for your generosity, close friendships, and it is my hope to help others.

I fully expect that as my younger three children grow up and head off to college they will leave SASS behind, at least temporarily.  But, they'll leave home with a full set of SASS gear (with the understanding that if they want to sell I get first chance) so hopefully as they mature and reach points in their lives where they have disposable income and time for recreation they'll come back to the game.

14 hours ago, Kirk James said:

SASS is an unbelievable place for kids to grow up. 

I agree totally and absolutely. I never worried about the boys on the range, and knew they were learning valuable life lessons on and off the firing line.  As for marketing, long ago, we used to cowboy up and go to gun shows, always making sure we had some women & children with us to emphasize the family-friendly nature of the game.  I'm sure we'd have had dogs, too, but they weren't allowed.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Know your customer ,market to them and cater to them and without a base with disposable income you might as well be preaching to the wall. :FlagAm:

On 6/10/2019 at 10:31 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Pretty much my story. I shot cas for 2 summers in my late 20s and then life happened. I'm 43 and started back last year. Can't think of any other hobby I'd rather have. 

My kids are learning now. Our 12-year old son shot his first match last weekend.  I think it goes without saying, that when they grow their wings and fly away so will some hobbies. It's just part of growing up and becoming your own person. That said, I'm sure some or all of them will come back to it. 

On another note, the SASS handbook can be one of the most confusing things ever to read for new members. 

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I love the premise that one has to grow up with TV Westerns and Western Movies to be interested in CAS...

:lol:

That is people using their own life's experiences as a filter for how they see things. Obviously, having an early interest in something makes a nice foundation, but is not necessary. I found CAS researching single actions on Youtube (hickok45). If not for that coincidence, I would still not know it exists. 

1 minute ago, Gray Drifter said:

That is people using their own life's experiences as a filter for how they see things. Obviously, having an early interest in something makes a nice foundation, but is not necessary. I found CAS researching single actions on Youtube (hickok45). If not for that coincidence, I would still not know it exists. 

Yeah, I can remember reading about it in a flyer/magazine in East Tennessee in the early 2000's; other than that I haven't really seen anything about SASS out in the wild. SASS could do a lot better job of marketing itself. Word of mouth probably isn't going to cut it.

My kids don't know Dale and Roy or even the Duke.  They do however know Matt Black, Bud, Lead Dispenser, Holly Terror and Sage Chick.

Archived