SASS Wire Forum

Dedicated Black Powder Only Shooters

Mad Dog McGee

On 6/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, Mad Dog McGee said:

You the man.:) Never tried making my own BP. My hats off to you PARD ! BTW ,what caliber do you shoot? I love the 38WCF.

I mainly shoot 45 colt. I run brass 12 ga shells in my 87 also :D. My original 73 is in 38 wcf. not quite as easy to load as the 45's but still not bad. I like how it seals off the better than the 45's. 

I only ever shoot black, and switched to all 2f years ago because it was too much trouble making sure I had enough of each size.  I go through about 30lbs/year.  Remington 1858 factory conversions, 1860 Henry and  a Winchester 1887.

Wagonbox%20Willy%20Mayhem%202015-0021a.j

Wagonbox%20Willy%20Mayhem%202015-0023a.j

1 hour ago, Wagon Box Willy said:

I only ever shoot black, and switched to all 2f years ago because it was too much trouble making sure I had enough of each size.  I go through about 30lbs/year.  Remington 1858 factory conversions, 1860 Henry and  a Winchester 1887.

Thanks for the video perfect day for a little smoke and flames.

I love Black Powder! Went to Sportsmans yesterday to get some, so I can try my "new" 1851 Navy, but all they had was Goex and some other substitute. Passed.

I'll wait 'till I can get real black powder!

Always wanted to shoot SASS using black powder, and my first time was back around 2002 or so, when an old gentleman let me shoot his 12 gauge side by side loaded with black powder.  It was a beautiful thing.

To each his own, but I can't picture dressing up like this and carrying these guns without the smoke and flames, and that boom!

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.33.06 PM.jpg

i know a couple that make it look easy and fun but yes there is dedication involved and one must love the entire process to fully enjoy the experience , ive have not gone there yet but im really close now , its a goal down the road a bit , 

i agree with the fun factor shooting it , im a not so fun cleaning type but i would love to be a BP shooter in this game so i am thinking when i retire and have more time i may just go that way , i do love shooting with BP shooters and enjoy every minute of the experience , 

Howdy

I started shooting Black Powder shortly after I started shooting cowboy, close to twenty years ago. Actually, I first shot Black Powder in 1968 with my first C&B revolver, but that's another story.

I just never saw much point to shooting light loads of smokeless and shooting as fast as possible. Once I started fooling around with BP there was no going back.

Is it a lot of extra work? I don't think so. I have it all down pat now, I load all my BP ammo on a Hornady Lock & Load AP, and my shotgun ammo on my little old MEC Jr.

I only use real Black Powder, have never messed with the subs except once. Like Wagon Box Willy I stopped using more than one granulation years ago, I use Schuetzen FFg pretty exclusively now.

I used to cast my own bullets, I even invented one, but now I buy all my Big Lube bullets from Springfield Slim. Not enough ventilation in my condo basement.

Yes, Wagon Box Willy smokes up a stage real well, and his shotgun loads in his '87 Winchester are probably the loudest I have ever heard.

I try to do my best.

Pistol%2002_zpsx1mghgzu.jpg

Reiner%20NH%20SASS-0010_zpsmdmcyky6.jpg

BlackPowderCountryPond_zpsc1361063.jpg

Looks cool, Driftwood.  What brand of shotgun slides are those?

No idea.

I bought them a long time ago from a guy at the Northeast Regional in Thurmont. I like them a lot. Even if the stage requires six shotgun shells, the pair of them keeps eight shells handy. I seldom wear a shotgun belt.

5.75%20Holster_zpsdl4ptemb.jpg

Archived