SASS Wire Forum

Dedicated Black Powder Only Shooters

Mad Dog McGee

Like to know how many DEDICATED Black Powder Only shooters we have and Why you shoot only REAL BP.

As for me , I love the FLAMEBOOM AND SMOKE . The smell ain't too bad either. It takes a LOT of dedication ,time,and hard work; but I love it !!!!!!!!!

I myself have only just begun shooting real black. I shot a couple cartridge matches at the end of last year with some “found” bp. 

That got me going and then I thought “Why not percussion” so I prepped during the fall and winter to be ready for this season. I have even gone to loading brass hulls for the SXS. 

The work involved in clean up is more than I was used to but I put in some sweat equity to set up my Uberti clones and don’t mind much spending some time in the evenings cleaning up the irons. 

It was a conscious decision to shoot real black. I just thought “Why shoot a sub if I can live dangerously shooting the real stuff”

DCBC1F28-2A8A-4C36-A549-4D0770CE4607.jpegSmoke ‘em iffin’ ye got ‘em

09954E45-66C0-4E14-88C4-6C3DC838CAF9.png

5E694AC3-A16B-4838-A395-1CB367D13C3B.png

6C6A8A87-3006-4AF6-B956-0E41B557AFE2.png

8DFCE0FF-1B50-4DE9-9C5D-B8471720BBDF.png

I have shot exclusively Frontier Cartridge ever since I began to reload my own ammo. It’s certainly more fun and authentic as everyone stands back in anticipation of the noise, smoke and flames as well as the lengthy duration of my typical stage run :) I also am a Civil War Skirmisher so I was already using black powder well before beginning with SASS.  If real black powder gets too difficult to find I’d be OK with using a substitute but fortunately I’ve not needed to do so for some time now. The real stuff really is the best.   Just remember what the villagers used to say in the old horror movies: The Old Vays are Alvays the Best!  

Seamus 

Kay Sadeeya & I primarily shoot real black powder ammo.  On occasion we use the heathen smokeless stuff for practice or when we don't want to have to clean guns.  I tried APP & Pyrodex when I first started shooting FC, but didn't like it.  No flames!  I also find that it is much easier to clean up residue from real black.

My avatar here is my hand shooting one of my open tops - the picture was taken at the Siege at St. Augustine & was on the chamber of commerce's website story about the match.  I think it's pretty cool to know that happens every time I pull the trigger.

Holler

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.32cceb497870203630c2e8551e43e715.JPG2183E369-6BA1-4D81-B202-A8D68CFEB13D.thumb.jpg.b04c7965897848fad3dd120aa832853f.jpgIMG_20190216_085741.thumb.jpg.1a37601c8425b1da8adebd1d25218c22.jpgIMG_1633.JPG.a587881ebb67981639113170682a9bc3.thumb.jpg.c7dd41f27fca1a7d48a8bc4bfb214d3c.jpgIMG_20190518_184937.thumb.jpg.aaeb09a46dd79326ad9eeb3a77c79c4f.jpg

Everything I load, even side matches is Graf or Goex 2f.   45 cowboy in the bisleys , 45 colt for the rifles, 32 S&W pocket pistol, 38 sp derringer, 45-70 with a 405gr bullet for the rolling block, 10 ga brass (100 gr) for the 1887 original. Pack the brass full, compress with the bullet. No filler. Flames out the barrel, smoke to gag the TO, deep boom to rattle the posse all equals way more fun. 

4 hours ago, Mad Dog McGee said:

Like to know how many DEDICATED Black Powder Only shooters we have and Why you shoot only REAL BP.

As for me , I love the FLAMEBOOM AND SMOKE . The smell ain't too bad either. It takes a LOT of dedication ,time,and hard work; but I love it !!!!!!!!!

it is not a lot of time or extra work, it is only hard if you do not like it

The Shoer 27979,

It is Hard work if you cast your own bullets ,melt your own lead, lube your own bullets and shoot 38-40 cartridges. That said ; I still love it.

5 minutes ago, Mad Dog McGee said:

The Shoer 27979,

It is Hard work if you cast your own bullets ,melt your own lead, lube your own bullets and shoot 38-40 cartridges. That said ; I still love it.

Sounds more like a labor of love than hard work ;)

If you are in the hobby to try to be as authentic as you can be, and if you are trying to experience what your ancestors experienced, as much as possible, then you simply shoot black powder to help achieve that goal.  I want to be authentic so I can try and experience the way they did it, and also to experience the drawbacks as well.  To experience the good, and the bad, seems to help in recreating what our ancestors went through, to a greater or lessor extent.  None of us can be totally authentic, since many of us use modern made firearms, and modern made clothing, etc..  But there are things we can do to replicate what they did in the period we are portraying.  Shooting black powder is one of the things we can do.       

I love black powder! I shoot real black at major matches, however I must confess that for monthly matches (3-4 a month) I use app, fill case slap a moly coated bullet and done. I'm lazy and when I shoot black I lube my own bullet or buy pre-lubed so to save time and or money I use app. Please be gentle with the stones!

Rafe

I tried Goex Pinnacle Powder but did not like the absence of flames. So I sold it all

and went back to real black. There is no more work loading black powder for me. Same as smokeless.

But can't just wipe off guns when I get home, have to clean the guns.

Yes Sir, Holy Black only here. Both cartridge and C&B. I use Goex and noting else. I do it for the history and to try and feel what it was like back then. All my guns, even though replicas, were designed using BP, so I stay with it. The boom, flames and smoke just add to he enjoyment.

I lube all my bullets with SPG by the old pan method. Cleanup is a breeze and my guns run all day without locking up. Eventually I am going to start casting my own bullets and balls. 

Black powder all the way!

I grew up going to the Falls of the Ohio muzzleloader shoots and NMLRA Friendship shoots, so I was doomed for black powder!  When I first got into CAS in the late 90s, I was in college and didn't care to spend time reloading, so I just used commercially-bought cowboy loads (smokeless).  When I got back into it a couple years ago, there was no question.

I'd wish I could echo Waxahachie Kid and say I strive to be as authentic as possible for the sake of "experimental archaeology", but I left that behind with my 18th century reenacting.  :D  Though I do enjoy being able to relate to the smoke-filled bars you read about in old accounts. . . very cool. 

For me, CAS is a great excuse to do the two things I've loved to do since a young boy: shoot guns and play cowboys!  The smell, smoke, flame and all the rest just adds to the illusion that I'm riding guard for Richard King as his coach flies towards Brownsville, or maybe I'm tracking down the Reno Gang (or riding with them?), or even mixing it up with the claim jumpers out in Darwin!  I also select my guns and gear for my "playtime" based upon what I want to imagine I'm doing and who I pretend to be.  Two 1860 armies, a Henry rifle and a 10 or 12 ga sxs hammer gun with full length barrels are not the speed guns of choice. . . . but dang, they're fun!

Keep your powder dry (and black!),

Wild Ben

CAS.jpg

Black Powder is awesome - I envy that folks I shoot with that smoke up the range when they are shooting.

BUT

I am only shooting smokeless right now but I am certainly interested in taking the step to smoke and flames.

-I'm curious about reloading shotgun shells for BP - could I reload BP shells on a Lee Load-All ?

-Can I use normal poly-coated bullets or do I have to buy specific bullets for BP ?

-Is there any thing additional that I'd need to load .38 Special for BP on a Lee Turret Loader ?

-What are the additional maintenance concerns and how detailed does my disassembly need to be to properly maintain BP only firearms ?

4 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

-I'm curious about reloading shotgun shells for BP - could I reload BP shells on a Lee Load-All ? Yes, I did it for years, load the powder in a separate step, don't use the powder side of the load all. I now use a MEC Steelmaster and a Lyman BP Measure set up next to it.

-Can I use normal poly-coated bullets or do I have to buy specific bullets for BP ? Yes and no. They'll work but you really need a lube wad(or filler and lube) under them. Easier to buy bullets with BP lube.

-Is there any thing additional that I'd need to load .38 Special for BP on a Lee Turret Loader ? Yes just get a BP Powder measure(aluminum hopper and brass fittings).

-What are the additional maintenance concerns and how detailed does my disassembly need to be to properly maintain BP only firearms ? I spray mine down with Ballistol before I leave the range and clean within 3-4 days at home. My rifle is 44-40 so I clean the bore good and wipe down everything I can see. I'll break it all the way down once or twice a year for a good cleaning.  Double barrel shotgun not much different than with smokeless. Revolvers I break all the way down pretty regular, especially before an annual and above; but otherwise just keep the bore, cylinder and arbor clean and lubed(white lithium on the arbor).

Yep, I shoot only real BP, flames, boom, recoil, smoke:D. I prefer the German charcoal.....smells sweet and the women go wildB). Shooting BP is really easy once your set up for it. BP and BP bullets can be delivered to your front door. I make all of my BL bullets and lube, use a Star, one for BP and one for that other stuff. Started out on a Mec Jr. and Lee Classic Turret, now use a Mec Grabber and Hornady LNL AP. I was using the Hornady large rifle drum, but have since changed to my Lee Pro Auto Disk, just makes changing to different loads quicker. Clean up is real easy with Murphy's Mix and Ballistol. Like Tyrel I'll give the firearms just a quick shot of Ballistol and clean them later. You don't have to spray 'em like you own stock in the company, just a quick "chsssst, chsssst" is all that's needed. I break 'em down once or twice a year whether they need it or not;). Black Powder Matters....PB Shooters Untie!!:excl: Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

95% Dedicated except for my turn bolt long arms, indoor range shooting and handguns in 9mm, 380 and 45ACP

I melt ingots - cast and reload for 21 calibers all the way up to 50's and metrics ... to including also 22LR rim fires with Swiss N-B

Why? One reason, there is no more enjoyment then hitting a 10" circle at 1000yds with 43 & 45 caliber BPC single shots with stock iron or vernier sights. And for the 22LR BP reloads at 1153 fps.- It was the original powder and are not made anymore ... So that's "Stepping Back into Time"

And a Big Thanks to Henry Arms that re-engineered a 22LR Golden Boy for me to be able to shoot turn of the century fat ogive UMC Match bullets (also cast them from a custom David Mos mold)

As for Cowboy - there is nothing better then to have the TO say to me ... 'After the 1st shot, I can't see a thing with all the smoke at the firing line' on a perfect day:D

12 minutes ago, John Boy said:

'After the 1st shot, I can't see a thing with all the smoke at the firing line'

That is what hooked me as well. My second or 3rd match shooting FCD I shot the stage clean and the TO asked me if I had x-ray vision.

I got started with BP in 1959 by some good ol' boys whom I respected a whole bunch.

That introduction, and several departures only to return, have kept me shooting BP for the past  many several years.

When I started shooting SASS there was never a choice..

My wife recently started shooting and when she first asked about it all I said was that it will be with BP.

She has taken to it quite well and is really starting to see the real differences.

Plus that's all the powder I have.

Ol'  #4

The avatar says it all......

Not only is the BP a blast but I grease up the big colts .44s with bearing grease to keep them running. 

When I go to cleaning it’s just like working on a machine. Puts it all in perspective. The grease and black powder fragrance is special. But I could be a junky. :D

I love to try and stay as close to authentic to the Old West as possible. Full power loads in my Marlin 1894, Uberti Colt Walker and Pietta Colt Army 1860, and my side-by-side 12ga. The boom, the smell, the smoke, the clean-up. Plus, nobody wants your bras;)

Thanks to all who responded. Black Powder is the REAL deal!  Reloading BP is a labor of love I guess. It gives you a satisfaction that you can't  get with anything else when you see,feel and smell the difference . BP forever.

For me it's roots. My grand pap used to do the pioneer reenactments. I grew up shooting his front stuffers and later his cap and ball revolvers. I've always liked the smell. The boom and cloud of smoke just brings back memories. I miss him dearly. He even taught me how to make my own powder. When I got into this game I had to do some homework because I couldnt recall all of the steps but I'm once again making my own powder and love doing so. I enjoy burning it even more :D

On 6/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Mad Dog McGee said:

The Shoer 27979,

I'm I do cast my own bullets and lube them and make my own lube, I have even made my own black powder also. I also reload brass shotgun shells.

My wife and I bought a house Aug of last year, I attended an annual( that's all I can shout right now)last Sept, I forgot all about cleaning my guns untill 2 weeks ago, absolutely amazing the still functioned just fine, I have since cleaned them since I found them.

You the man.:) Never tried making my own BP. My hats off to you PARD ! BTW ,what caliber do you shoot? I love the 38WCF.

21 hours ago, Mad Dog McGee said:

You the man.:) Never tried making my own BP. My hats off to you PARD ! BTW ,what caliber do you shoot? I love the 38WCF.

45, 12 gauge 45-70, 38-55 and when my youngest son shot with me I did 38 also. One of the thing I also like about BP is the recoil is not much, I have carpal tunnel  and arthritis  in my left hand and with BP I can still shot gunfighter, I can't do that with smokeless.

Lately I have been shooting Open-Tops in .44 Russian/.44 Colt .44 Special using full case loads of Goex 3f Black  with navy grips ... Wooo Hooo .

And a 66 Sporting Rifle with full case loads of Goex 3f under 180 gr. bullets in .38 WCF.

I have COPD and real Black don't seem to bother me much ,,,, But Subs. throw me into a Coughing Fit that can get so bad as to drop me to my knees ....

I also shoot full case loads of 3f Goex under 255 -270 gr. bullets , when the mood strikes me in both revolvers and Rifle ....

Shotguns also use Goex 3F ,,, 3.4 CC in Sweet 16 under 1 oz ..   and 4.3 CC in 12 Ga. under 1 1/8 oz.  shot ....

I have never Liked any of the subs even before my lungs told me they are bad for you to breath in ...

Jabez Cowboy

16 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I also shoot full case loads of 3f Goex under 255 -270 gr. bullets , when the mood strikes me in both revolvers and Rifle ....

Jabez Cowboy

That's my preferred .45 Colt load!  Great smoke, accuracy, and heckuva wallop!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

Wild Ben ;

I really have come to like how Slick the .38 WCF feeds from my 66 or any other lever gun and the complete lack of gunk in the action ... I haven't pulled the side-plates of my 66 in years .... Just clean the barrel and a Spray down with balistol and wipe on the rest ....

Jabez Cowboy

I started this game with a 66 in a 24" barrel. I also had a ruger blackhawk as one revolver and a 58 remington conversion for the other. I didn't even have a shotgun and was borrowing one. I was having so much fun playing, that I decided it was worth spending more money on "better" guns. I asked around if I could borrow a 73 to test that out and a local guy that I barely knew, who has since become very good friends, let me borrow his 73 short rifle. The only problem was that it was in 44-40 and he only had black powder rounds. I had never fired black powder before, but I said sure anyway. I used that rifle for one stage, and I new after the 2nd shot that I was going to be a black powder shooter from then on. I ran out and bought a 73 in 44-40 and have been shooting BP ever since. Now I still shoot mix matched pistols, but almost always they are colts, a Winchester 73, both new and original, an original 92, an original greener 10 gauge or a ttn 12 gauge, and all with real black powder. Rarely do I crack the top 20 locally, but it would be hard to find anyone with a bigger smile after shooting a stage. And I love it when folks from the other posse two bays over tell me after the shoot that they can always tell when I am shooting :)

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep I love it when there is another posse and they are complaining abut the smoke. :D

Haters gonna hate. . .

Yeah, I kinda like that too. B)

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

Archived