SASS Wire Forum

Wanna do a l'il bit better than 1/10th of a grain

Red Cent

I still get by just fine with my 1971 vintage Pacific balance scale and powder trickler.  ;)

Paid $19.00 for the scale at the old San Francisco Gun Exchange.  :)

Kidding?  Me?  Not at all.  Perhaps not as fast as the new electronic gizmos, but works quite well.  ;)

I guess if you really really really want accuracy...

If you look at the link you will see a write up regarding “Speedy Gonzalez”. You’ll note in his photo there are a slew of trophies. If those trophies equate to money earned for shooting competitively I would say $3800 might be money well spent. If those trophies are more represent his standing in various competitions and he has the resources and it makes him happy then it probably is money well spent. 

It’s no different that someone in CAS buying an already expensive gun then having Johnny A1 Super-Duper Gunsmithguy “slick it up” for them so they have the coolest, slickest, fastest gun. Right?

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If one will spend that much to assure consistent powder charges, one would also do  similar quality control on bullets and cases, probably reusing brass.

I think counting the pellets, and weighing each one should also be done for the shotgun loads, don't you?!

HOLD ME BACK!!!  PLEASE!!!!  Does anyone realize what HUGE impact a 10th of a grain (by volume??) can have on the accuracy of an 1860 Army pattern Cap Gun (Replica).  :o

BP Shooters across America will flock to his door!!  :rolleyes:

Must hurry to be first in line!!!!  :ph34r:  

32 minutes ago, Blast Masterson said:

I think counting the pellets, and weighing each one should also be done for the shotgun loads, don't you?!

If there is a competition where extreme accuracy wit a shotgun is possible and needed, maybe but my BS detector is twitching.

... thank you, my friends ...

... I was badly in need of a good grin!

What is interesting is that Speedy won most of those matches YEARS ago. He was loading his match rounds like all the rest of us Benchrest shooters. With a powder measure on the bench during the match. We didn't even weight them at all in the field. Just knew what our measure threw from a particular setting. Give or take 1/10th or so. At ranges inside 400yds. you can't tell the difference between .1 grains.  Unless you are sorting all your brass by volume that sort of accuracy in powder weight is a waste of time.  I just finished my 1 mile range for military sniper teams that come here and I can assure you that there are more important things than powder weight closer than .1 grains. They are, however, the only automated powder measure that will stay within .1 grains. All of the consumer ones Redding, RCBS, Pact, etc. will vary .3 grains so every charge they throw must be checked on precision rounds.

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I still get by just fine with my 1971 vintage Pacific balance scale and powder trickler.  ;)

Paid $19.00 for the scale at the old San Francisco Gun Exchange.  :)

Hardpan,

We all assumed it was the old San Francisco Gun Exchange. Because at the latest one, folks willingly turn in their legally registered firearms to SFPD, for popsicle........ :lol:

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

HOLD ME BACK!!!  PLEASE!!!!  Does anyone realize what HUGE impact a 10th of a grain (by volume??) can have on the accuracy of an 1860 Army pattern Cap Gun (Replica).  :o

I have been waiting since I opened the thread...

Got to have one...I am going to EOT...Do they fedex overnight??

Texas Lizard

A grain is a measure of weight, not volume. 1/10 gr MIGHT be significant with a super fast powder like Bullseye. Usually.....nah. Long ago in a galaxy far away, I shot bench rest competition (with little if any success ) The big dog shooters didn't weigh charges. They used a Belding and Mull powder measure and would reload the same 5 cases between "stages".

JHC

1/10 gr is a total joke with BP. It's loaded by volume.

JHC Lord of the Dark Side

10 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Hardpan,

We all assumed it was the old San Francisco Gun Exchange. Because at the latest one, folks willingly turn in their legally registered firearms to SFPD, for popsicle........ :lol:

Yup.  Handed ol' Nate Posner a $20 bill and a dime and walked out happy.   :)

I spent many happy hours in that place... and brought home many toys.  :blush:

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some folks just don't get Sarcastic Humor.  Oh Well.

Why, shore we do~!  :lol:

Archived