Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bugler

CZ Hammered Coach Gun

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine recently purchased the CZ Hammered Coach gun and for the both of us the hammers are very challenging to cock. Is there a reduced spring kit or some other gun smithing that should be done so that the hammers come back much easier and still retain 100% reliability?

 

This is one gorgeous shotgun...like all CZ products

 

Bugler

PS. Neither of us can cock both hammers at once....we all know that is the speediest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conventional approach is to lighten the hammer (main) springs.    How much?  Enough to make it easy to cock, not so much as to have failures to fire.

 

Wish I could tell you more, but I use the TTN hammer doubles.

 

Good luck, GJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun and I cock both hammers at one stroke using my left hand like T-Bone Dooley.  The springs in my gun are stock. 

 

 

 

Last winter we bought a Liberty hammer double that is essential the same gun as the CZ-USA but imported by a company no longer in business.   Looked new but the springs had been lightened to the point that it would have failures to fire half the time.  I installed new springs from CZ-USA. 

 

 

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, Warden Callaway said:

I have a CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun and I cock both hammers at one stroke using my left hand like T-Bone Dooley.  The springs in my gun are stock. 

 

 

 

Last winter we bought a Liberty hammer double that is essential the same gun as the CZ-USA but imported by a company no longer in business.   Looked new but the springs had been lightened to the point that it would have failures to fire half the time.  I installed new springs from CZ-USA. 

 

 

 

Can those springs be bought online anywhere? Did you write the part number down by chance, in case I have  to call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

Can those springs be bought online anywhere? Did you write the part number down by chance, in case I have  to call?

 

The only place I found them was at CZ-USA.  And had to call.  Nothing online for their shotguns.  I don't think they have a part number.   Just told them for a CZ-USA hammer coach gun.  They will want the serial number.   

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lightened the springs on my CZ and it never fails to fire. You must be careful to not over do it and it is a good idea to have a spare set of springs on hand. Both legs of the spring must be worked for reliable function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugler,  I had the same problem with my CZ Hammer Coach.  Hammer main springs way too heavy to cock quickly.  I gave CZ a call and was informed that they do not sell the parts, they are for warranty repair only.  So they sent me a set free of charge.  I lightened the new springs and saved the originals.  The guys in the warranty department are great to visit with.  Hope this helps.   Claude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Claude Dirtbank, #104201 said:

Hammer main springs way too heavy to cock quickly. 

 

I've never felt that the hammers on my CZ were too heavy to cock.  I just sweep them back with my left hand like T-Bone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

 

I've never felt that the hammers on my CZ were too heavy to cock.  I just sweep them back with my left hand like T-Bone.  

 

That's the way I operate my TTN. My new CZ arrived yesterday. It has the heaviest hammer springs I've ever felt; even heavier than those junky Chinese imports :wacko:  Mine has Huglu stamped on it, don't know if those are the early ones or latest ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

That's the way I operate my TTN. My new CZ arrived yesterday. It has the heaviest hammer springs I've ever felt; even heavier than those junky Chinese imports :wacko:  Mine has Huglu stamped on it, don't know if those are the early ones or latest ones.

 

Wow!  I must have lucked out.  Here is a video of me testing hulls.  About 2 minutes in I shoot 40 rounds. I didn't have a problem with cocking the hammers.

 

 

I have enough old hammer doubles to cover the bed.  All have heavy hammer springs.  The hammer springs on the two old Colt 1878s require a manly strength to cock just one hammer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you must have. Right side on mine is stiffer than left, regardless they're both so stiff it takes considerable effort to cock. I'll break it down and do some polishing when I have time, as well as grinding springs(after I order some). I really like the CZ, not too heavy; much lighter than the TTN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yeah, you must have. Right side on mine is stiffer than left, regardless they're both so stiff it takes considerable effort to cock. I'll break it down and do some polishing when I have time, as well as grinding springs(after I order some). I really like the CZ, not too heavy; much lighter than the TTN.

 

You may ask CZ if they come in different strengths.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a little polishing to just about every part of both locks on my CZ. Some machine cuts had a little flash rolled over the edge. Fine stoning the lock plate, tumbler and back plate made a noticeable difference. One of the firing pin bores was a bit rough also. It is stamped Huglu as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a CZ Hammer coach a few weeks ago and my hammers are super stiff too.  Sounds like calling CZ may be a dice roll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like was said earlier. Call CZ support. They sent me both sides free. Did have to give them the Liberty II serial number. The problem I have with it is the barrel has a long piece that goes into the frame to help make a solid lock up. That is so long that it tends to separate the shells when loading. The 1878 colt replicas do not have that as long and are much easier to load without hiccups.  Since mine is a Liberty II and not worth much I shortened it to the same length of my TTN and that worked great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Looks like the latest models don't have the rib extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thats even better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

 

Looks like the latest models don't have the rib extension. 

 

Well d@mm!t, mine has it. I'll be on the lookout for a new one then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another major difference is the newer CZ's do NOT have blued bbl's, they are black hard chrome!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

another major difference is the newer CZ's do NOT have blued bbl's, they are black hard chrome!!!

 

Is that good or bad?  :mellow:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

strengthens the steel and adds corrosion resistance and it a rock hard

surface treatment that wears well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chowboy chet said:

...The problem I have with it is the barrel has a long piece that goes into the frame to help make a solid lock up. ...

 

The barrel extension on a Turkish-made Liberty is the EXTRACTOR GUIDE. No extra lockup provided by extension.

 

(note, "Liberty", not "Liberty II")

 

If the extension on a "Liberty II" is a guide and not a lockup component, have you noticed any occasional difficulty closing or resistance getting empty hulls out since the time you docked the extension?

 

A large number of hammered shotguns used in CAS have barrel extensions; just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope works great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.