SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt load using Trail Boss

Dead_Head

A new shooter in our club has a pair of Ruger Vaquero 5.5" revolvers and wants to load up some .45 Colt cartridges using 250 grain bullets and Trail Boss.  It is for CAS so no need to go heavy for Wild Bunch power factor, etc.

Is 4.5 grains okay for a lighter CAS load?

1 minute ago, Whiskey Hayes #41999 said:

With TB best to follow Hodgden 

manual.  TB doesn’t perform well outside of manual’s loads.  I shot it for 10 years.

^^^ This. 

Look at the Hodgdon data and don’t go below it. It gets very erratic.

My Hodgdon 2019 manual has an entry for 250 grain LRNFP in 45 Colt and Trail Boss powder.

Min=4.5 grains, 606 fps, BHN=6.9, Recoil = 3.36 lbs in 2.81 lb Vaquero

Max=5.8 grains, 727 fps, BHN=9.9, Recoil = 4.93 lbs in same revolver

The low PSI of 8800 to 12700 looks to be a good match for Big Lube, Desperado, Outlaw (Waimea) bullets.

When I shot that filthy stuff, I was using 6 grains with a 200 grn. bullet.

I've used 4.6 and 5.4 TB with 250 grainers. Both work, I've not noticed any great difference between the two.

I was using 5.2 grains with a 250 go Bullet and 5.8 with a 200 grain. For wild bunch I use 5.6 with a 250

Thanks all.

I load 5.5 gn TB with 200gn rnfp for 45 Colt and 5.0gn TB with 200gn rnfp for 45acp. Works well out of my 5.5" Remingtons and my 1911.

On a side note thought, TB doesn't meter for crap... I get very erratic powder drops so I bought an aquarium pump to shake the powder dispenser. I haven't had a chance to try out the pump yet, I'm still waiting for the lead we ordered 3 weeks ago...

20 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Look at the Hodgdon data and don’t go below it. It gets very erratic.

Most of my experience is with 38/357 and some 44. At the starting load it is fairly inconsistent, somewhat erratic. I use a Chrony for load development and do a quick test. For the first cylinder of 5 I shoot powder forward, (simulates pulling the gun from the holster and firing the first round) and for the next cylinder of 5 I shoot with the powder against the primer. Somewhere between starting load and max it starts to smarten up. IMO it is better in a smaller case, 38 Spl better than 357. 

I really like it in the 44 Mag with Speer swaged bullets. @ 7.2 gr and a Rem 2 1/2 primer I get single digit Sd. Velocity is a shade under 850, no leading and it works in all my guns, in spite of the varied throat and groove sizes. I use a Lyman Accumeasure and metering at these weights is OK. Hodgdon lists this load at app 20,000 psi. 

With other powders I had issues with leading, and even though the Speer bullet is just soft lead, I suspected that it was not obturating sufficiently. I was looking at the Hodgdon data for all powders and noticed that with Trail Boss the pressure was higher than the rest for the same velocity, so I tried it. It did what I was looking for. 

In the 38/357 I found that metering was an issue, and with 125 > 147 gr bullets I did not find a suitable load. One load even worked better when the powder was forward, erratic when the powder was against the primer. Different primers gave different results. 

IMHO Trail Boss is not a one size fits all powder.

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

From Hodgon's Resource Center. Formula for using TB in any cartridge, any bullet weight, any OAL.

TRAIL BOSS REDUCED RIFLE LOAD

You missed this part: 

Where data is already shown for specific cartridges, never exceed listed maximums

Image1.jpg

I've shot TB at 5.5 gr under a 250 gr RNFP for a number of years in my 5 1/2" old model Vaqueros, my 1866 and my 1873

I'm reducing the load somewhat for my new model Vaqueros.

Archived