SASS Wire Forum

I had a rough childhood.

Me too!! My childhood was a series of child abuses!! I was made to eat what was put in front of me, I was made to show respect to all elders (even those I didn't like), I was made to do child labor mowing our acre yard with a push mower (the kind with blades you could see), I was made to clean my room ( horrible chore), I was made to say "yes sir or yes ma'am" or No sir or no ma'am" and NO wasn't a word I could use to not do a chore, I was not allowed to talk at the supper table when adults were talking, (isn't that a violation of the 1st Amendment?), I was made to take the trash out when I was told, I was made to clean the chicken coop (yuck) and chicken poop  was not as nice as horse poop, and assorted other disagreeable chores that "they" could decide on a moments notice regardless if I had other plans!

Yep, know all about that, too.  Folks had a farm and a dairy.  Plenty of chores after school and during the summer.  If I wanted to go to an event after school their response was "you better ride the bus home because we don't have time to come and get you".   Feeding calves and cows, chickens too.  Plenty of tractor work and irrigating crops.  Kids in town played sports and went to movies and vacations.  We didn't have time for that.  So I also farmed all my life until I turned it over to my son last year.  Now we're taking time to travel and cowboy shoot.  Although I do help on the farm when I can.  But at least it's as my schedule allows and my son is good with that.  

...being the oldest of 4, living on a farm, working at the dairy next door (75+ cows) every morning and every night, having dinner on the table when my parents go home, keeping the room clean, clothes picked up, bed made, …  I'm sure I was abused...

We were so poor that mom would tie a used soupbone to the light over the dining room table and swing it in a circle.  When the shadow passed over your plate, you dipped up a spoonful of shadow, and that was supper.  You had to be quick, or the dog would grab your part of the shadow, and you'd go to bed hungry. 

Just recently some thing that I saw on facebook. Person asked if anyone had been smacked when they smart mouthed their parents. I said that I got brave and got mouthy to my mom once just after getting braces. Just once. That hurts. 

8 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Just recently some thing that I saw on facebook. Person asked if anyone had been smacked when they smart mouthed their parents. I said that I got brave and got mouthy to my mom once just after getting braces. Just once. That hurts. 

Pulled braces out of my cheek once. Lesson learned. It was my pa though. 

Got whipped once for something my brother did. He was playing fireman by swinging a cat overhead. Sounded just like a siren. Never wanted to even try something bad after that, once was enough to see the light.

2 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

We were so poor that if I didn't wake up with an erection I didn't have anything to play with all day.

Now that I've cleaned soda off the monitor, keyboard and desk, I can award you 1,000,000 :lol:s and declare you "Winner of This Thread"!

We were so poor that Dad used to give us kids a quarter if we didn't eat supper, then he would steal it back during the night and give us heck the next morning for losing it.

17 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

We were so poor that our mom had to read recipes to us at suppertime.

Our mom did that too, but my little brother nearly starved to death before they found out he was hard of hearing!

We were so poor when I was growing up in my first little league game, I stole second base, hid it under my shirt, and ate it later.B)

Archived