SASS Wire Forum

Scotch. Something I didn’t know

So, according to a Scottish bartender......

SERVED WITH WATER

Water opens up new whisky flavors while decreasing the intensity of the alcohol. The Society of Chemical Industry studied this phenomenon in a paper published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. The scientists found that water chemically suppresses ethanol molecules (alcohol) as well as the flavors extracted from the wood barrels. Specifically, water decreases the “impact of undesirable, immature aromas when wood matured spirits are consumed.”

The stronger whiskies, such as whiskies with more barrel influence, improve with water. Take cask strength, or barrel proof, whiskies, for example. The alcohol percentage decreases as Scotch ages in barrel, so the liquid is typically put into the barrel at around 60 to 65 percent alcohol by volume. That’s why Linstead suggests adding a couple drops of water to your dram if you’re drinking cask-strength Scotch.

In other words, contrary to what you may have thought, adding water to your whisky isn’t for people who can’t handle their whisky; it’s for people who want to take stock of every flavor the whisky has to offer. During a VinePair tasting at the Glenkinchie distillery in Scotland, everyone — from the distillery workers to our tour guide to the global brand ambassador for Johnnie Walker — used a small pipette to add some water to their Scotch.

So I tried it with some Mcallan and Balvenie tonight. It works!

My education continues.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Bourbon over scotch? In what proportions?  Both are aged?

Sounds good 

shaken or stired?

is that equal amounts of each?

what size ice cube ?

what size and type of glass?

thankyou  while I still can

Howdy,

Now that I have a nice supply of steel cubes......

But haven't  folks ordered scotch and water about forever?

Do we need people with beakers and Bunsen burners to tell whats good?

Best

CR

An ice cube is way too much water for Scotch. They are referring to several drops  of water in the glass.

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s why Linstead suggests adding a couple drops of water to your dram if you’re drinking cask-strength Scotch.

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

used a small pipette to add some water to their Scotch.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Odd, it has been mentioned here several times over the years that a touch of water "opens" the scotch for better flavor.

I must have missed it. I miss a lot. ;)

1 hour ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I like blended whiskey, like 40 Creek or Crown. I probably don't have good taste. (But my wife does, she married me didn't she?)

She lost a bet...........:lol::P

BTW-Try the Scotch in a chilled glass-To me, does the same as water.;)

OLG

Scotch does benefit from added water, no more than %20 by volume.  Ice doesn't help because the chill keeps the aromatics suppressed.

Cool water added is nice, especially with the Island scotches.

I served under a crusty old Marine major, who had been a cannon cocker in Viet Nam. At a party, he walked up to the bar and ordered Scotch. The young bartender asked, "On the rocks?" The major roared, "If I want a d****d mixed drink, I'll order one! SCOTCH!" The shaken barkeep poured him a goodly amount. :)

One drop of water per shot is sufficient.  And make it good water, not chlorinated, softened or hard water.  It makes a difference.  Distilled water is fine.

2 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I think a barrel of water to a jigger of Scotch would be an OK mixture for me!

PF 

I used to think similar. But I learnt.

Never drink cheap Scotch. Life is too short. ;)

I am not a single malt scotch fan.  For my distiIled libations I prefer a charcoal, cactus or grape skin taste to that of dirt (peat). 

Howdy,

Thanks. I will have a try during the Canadian gp this afternoon.

Is it time to crack open the Pappys???

Best

CR

On 6/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, J.D. Daily said:

I am not a single malt scotch fan.  For my distiIled libations I prefer a charcoal, cactus or grape skin taste to that of dirt (peat). 

I too am not fond of that.  I stick with the smoother non bog-like brands, which compare well to fine bourbons.

Not to hijack the topic, but my daughter gave me a bottle of Slane for my birthday.  It is an Irish Whisky aged in 3 different barrels, the last being sherry barrels.  I find it tastes pretty close to McCallan 12 yr. Scotch at about 1/3 the price.  Just in case any of you are in an experimental mood...:)

And now back to water:

5 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Not to hijack the topic, but my daughter gave me a bottle of Slane for my birthday.  It is an Irish Whisky aged in 3 different barrels, the last being sherry barrels.  I find it tastes pretty close to McCallan 12 yr. Scotch at about 1/3 the price.  Just in case any of you are in an experimental mood...:)

And now back to water:

Let the record show that I am also fond of Irish whiskey. It may be genetic. There are Kelly’s in me ancestry. ;)

Archived