SASS Wire Forum

Wet tumbling brass with no media?

Shooting Bull

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

That’s AWESOME! 

Sometimes doing things a little differently has better than expected results. It probably didn’t take me 2 minutes to rinse the brass and spread it out on the drying screen. I still use the media but not nearly as often. One of my least favorite parts of reloading is cleaning the brass and if I can make that easier I’m going to do it. Form reading your initial post I thought that’s what your desire was also so that’s why I posted the way that I do it. It really is fast and easy.

I wet tumble with just the solution that came with the Frankford Arsenal unit.  I tried the sample pack they sent and it worked awesome, can buy a bottle for like 7 bucks.  No pins, no mess, shiny brass.

i did not try on black powder, but I did use on old brass that had been laying around it was not fresh.

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Sometimes doing things a little differently has better than expected results. It probably didn’t take me 2 minutes to rinse the brass and spread it out on the drying screen. I still use the media but not nearly as often. One of my least favorite parts of reloading is cleaning the brass and if I can make that easier I’m going to do it. Form reading your initial post I thought that’s what your desire was also so that’s why I posted the way that I do it. It really is fast and easy.

You read and understood my OP perfectly.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks again.

HOLY COW! Strato Sheen, where have you been all my life? Yul Lose, why didn’t you tell me about this magical potion years ago? A couple of hours using your formula and it looks factory new. No separating pins or anything else. Just a quick rinse and onto the drying table. I’m hooked! 

1280A649-5327-4448-BC6B-30245EBF996F.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

HOLY COW! Strato Sheen, where have you been all my life? Yul Lose, why didn’t you tell me about this magical potion years ago? A couple of hours using your formula and it looks factory new. No separating pins or anything else. Just a quick rinse and onto the drying table. I’m hooked! 

Run a fan over the cases for a spell......;)

Did you deprime first?:huh: I always do........

OLG

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Run a fan over the cases for a spell......;)

Did you deprime first?:huh: I always do........

OLG

There’s a big old ceiling fan blowing full blast. 

I’ve never ever deprimed first. That would add another step. I’m trying to eliminate steps. :D

8 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Glad I could be of help, any marital advice you need?:D

11 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

There’s a big old ceiling fan blowing full blast. 

I’ve never ever deprimed first. That would add another step. I’m trying to eliminate steps. :D

Primer pockets may stay wet, and 'glue' the primer in place. ;)

Removing the primer before case cleaning is SOP with wet tumbling.........

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Primer pockets may stay wet, and 'glue' the primer in place. ;)

Removing the primer before case cleaning is SOP with wet tumbling.........

OLG

Never had that problem.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Never had that problem.

Me either.  I am also trying to eliminate steps and depriming before tumbling is just another step I don't need.

:ph34r:  I'll join in with those wanting/needing to save time and labor.  I read the label on the Brass Juice and it said to ONLY use it on brass.  Having a batch of nickel .38's to clean, I was in a spot. 

Filled Lyman tumbler to within 3" of top with cases (a LOT!), covered by an inch with distilled water, added a pinch of Lemmeshine, a 2 second squirt of Dawn, and a small gershlug of Fantastik Scrubbing Bubbles.  Set the timer for 3 hrs.  That's when I'd finish work on Saturday.  Figured if it didn't work, I really wasn't out anything.

Well, it worked a treat.  Very pleased.  A quick double rinse and cycle through the RCBS separator to get the water out, and then spread out to dry.  Our 104 degree sun and gentle desert vespers of the afternoon dried everything in a hurry.  About a half hour total.

Ordered some Strato Sheen.  We'll see how it does with the brass Vs. the Brass Juice.

Love this Forum and the helps it provides!

Thanks,  Shooting Bull, for being so lazy as to make  OP :D !,  and thanks to all who added to it.

5 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

Our 104 degree sun and gentle desert vespers of the afternoon dried everything in a hurry. 

“Gentle desert vespers”? In Ridgecrest? Who are you trying to kid? :lol:

Got my bottle of Brass Juice today and decided to do a test run. Started with cases that looked like this:

4C2CC82D-53F8-4CCA-9F4B-D378B0C3C8B0.thumb.jpeg.09ec4b50dcbf18c395c1e5a77ff9c609.jpeg    

Filled a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler just over half way with cases. Added a full gallon of hot water, two tablespoons of Brass Juice (closest I could get to one ounce) and a .38 shell full of LemiShine ( because the BJ directions said distilled water to prevent spotting and that’s what LS does). I could lie and say there were absolutely no steel pins inside, but three fell out when  rinsing. Ran for exactly one full hour. Dumped, filled tumbler with fresh hot water and shook for about 30 seconds, dumped water, sprayed with sprayer, shook all the water out, dumped on towel to dry. This is what I ended up with:

0C316F98-D748-436D-B8F6-210636DB3679.thumb.jpeg.11fb26df5163382baa3086376489a248.jpeg

After this, I’m thinking my steel media is going to enjoy a nice long sleep until I really, really, really need to wake it up!

Hope this helps!

12 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Got my bottle of Brass Wash today and decided to do a test run. Started with cases that looked like this:

4C2CC82D-53F8-4CCA-9F4B-D378B0C3C8B0.thumb.jpeg.09ec4b50dcbf18c395c1e5a77ff9c609.jpeg    

Filled a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler just over half way with cases. Added a full gallon of hot water, two tablespoons of Brass Wash (closest I could get to one ounce) and a .38 shell full of LemiShine ( because the BW directions said distilled water to prevent spotting and that’s what LS does). I could lie and say there were absolutely no steel pins inside, but three fell out when  rinsing. Ran for exactly one full hour. Dumped, filled tumbler with fresh hot water and shook for about 30 seconds, dumped water, sprayed with sprayer, shook all the water out, dumped on towel to dry. This is what I ended up with:

0C316F98-D748-436D-B8F6-210636DB3679.thumb.jpeg.11fb26df5163382baa3086376489a248.jpeg

After this, I’m thinking my steel media is going to enjoy a nice long sleep until I really, really, really need to wake it up!

Hope this helps!

Wow! That is impressive!

After a 2 day match shooting real black powder my 44.40 and .38 brass was much dirtier than Smoky's. I dumped the SS pins out of my tumbler, added hot tap water and the appropriate amount of Brass Wash and let it work for 2 hours. The brass came out as shiny as Smoky's. I even did the 44.40s first and reused the same liquid for the .38s. 

I didn't de-prime first, never have, never had a problem. 

I gotta say, the stuff works. Not having to separate media was a huge bonus, 'cause I'm lazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the Brass Juice and it worked great, cleaned several hundred pieces of various dirty brass.  I could use solution twice before the results were disappointing. We were shooting Hell On Wheels this weekend and needed some more 45 Schofields to do the match. Used my years old recipe of Trail Boss and off we went. First stage I had what sounded like very light reports and lots of unburned powder. This went on for the rest of the day and even had one squib and had to ground a pistol twice because the unburned powder jammed up the revolver. Finished the day, but was really frustrated, went to town and found some factory ammo and cleaned my Schofields. I was talking to my camping neighbor and he was telling me the frustrated day he was having with multiple dead primers. After comparing notes we discovered we both had just switched to Brass Juice. The fine print says to rinse thoroughly, which we both thought we had done. This is by no means a scientific test and YMMV , but I thought I'd pass it on. Gonna reclean all that brass I just did with pins and Dawn with Lemishine.

The REAL key is that the brass must dry thoroughly. Any dampness left is the cases will cause the powder not to ignite.

If unsure about if the cases are dry then tumble is dry media for a period of time.

Ran first test with Brass juice with no media in Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler. Half of the 44-40 were BP the other half APP. 

Saved the solution. Solids from first run settled to bottom of container. Second run was thirty 45-70 casings that were really stained from BP and APP. Love the results. 2 Oz per gallon of water. I’m sold. 

D78711C9-A64B-4328-9874-913007AB032F.jpeg

0B2D428B-E255-456C-8C6E-B48FDAD38B40.jpeg

40B92438-B4BC-4675-86D5-CAEEC34EA8B6.jpeg

ECEF2D3B-1EA7-440D-AF13-188C853B2392.jpeg

612FA3BB-2328-45B7-80C8-21B2AE1E3F35.jpeg

ADE5D134-1265-4112-B575-33EDBE1F30ED.jpeg

I should add a bit more information in addition to my previous post:

When my brass is done tumbling for an hour, I take it to the sink, put the strainer on one end of the tumbler and set that end in the sink.  I remove what's now the top cover and I rinse the brass in the tumbler with hot water for about a minute with the sink sprayer.  Then I close it back up, invert it, fill it with hot water again and close the other end.  At that point I rotate and slosh, rotate and slosh for about a full minute.  Throw the strainer back on and drain the tumbler.  Shake/rotate the tumbler a couple times to get as much as much of the water out as I can.  Then I pour it out on one end of an old bath towel.  I pick the towel up like a basket and doc it back and forth (sorry, I don't know a better word--think like a shoe shine rag, only upside down--or drying your hair while holding onto the ends of the towel only, again upside down).  Then I put the towel on the counter and roll the brass to the dry half.  Let the wet half hang off the side of the counter so it dries while the brass is sitting on the drier side up top.  Primers are still in the brass.  I'll normally pick them up the next morning and load the brass into a plastic shoe container until ready to load.     

Archived