SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of learning history....E/506

Many of us re-watched Band of Brothers over the past few days.

I also enjoyed watching the documentary about the making of the series. Looks like a lot of young Hollywood actors may have learned some history during the filming thanks to Dale Dye.

Here's part 1 for those who may not have seen it.

And here's actor Ron Livingston's (Cpt Nixon) video diary that he made during the series.

I just finished reading The Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose I was pretty amazed at how closely the HBO series followed the book, Even if you've seen the series the book is well worth reading.

8 minutes ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

I just finished reading The Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose I was pretty amazed at how closely the HBO series followed the book, Even if you've seen the series the book is well worth reading.

Agree. This is one time where Hollywood didn’t stray too far off course from the real story. Kudos to Hanks and Spileberg on this one. poking at some pics of the troopers in their youth, l was struck at hoe similar in appearance some of the actors were to the real deal. David Schwimmer could be a close relative of Lt. Sobel In my opinion.

There were only a couple very minor things I noticed in the book that I didn't remember seeing in the series, I think in the series they had Dick Winter using a 98K Mauser after he lost his drop bag, In the book he says he found a carbine, I don't remember this scene but in market garden they were trying to get off the drop zone as quickly as possible because it was raining helmets, rifles, gliders and about anything else being dropped I think it would have been an interesting scene, My memory could be faulty but I don't recall it.

Archived