SASS Wire Forum

Schofield action question

Stopsign32v

So just got my first S&W Model 3 clone, a Uberti Schofield. What I noticed that was different than my original S&W Russian is that the hammer cannot be eased down all the way to where you see the firing pin protruding from the frame between the cylinder gap. The Uberti Schofield only eases down to the safety notch. If you dry fire the pin it it goes all the way down, but not if you ease down the hammer. Is this normal and why? My SAA clones can be eased down all the way. I'm confused why the S&W wouldn't be the same. 

1 hour ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

If the safety bar is removed they operate the same as the original Schofield.

Thanks for that tip, I removed it and it functions correctly now. However, how do you reinstall the thumb cylinder release? Once I have it installed without the safety bar there and put the screw in, it is seized up and can't be used.

I noticed it on mine too.  My takeaway is that from the factory like the Rugers it is safe then to carry six rounds, correct?

Stopsign, did you notice any improvement in the action?  Like the trigger was lighter, cocking easier, etc?

5 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Stopsign, did you notice any improvement in the action?  Like the trigger was lighter, cocking easier, etc?

Not really. If you take it apart and look at the action the safety bar doesn't have much to do with it. I do like it twice as much now! Especially after doing this and refinishing the grips to look original to a real S&W 19th century.

8 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

I noticed it on mine too.  My takeaway is that from the factory like the Rugers it is safe then to carry six rounds, correct? 

Howdy

My guess is that is necessary to get them imported into the US. Just like the various clones of the SAA require a safety device to be imported.

I don't own an Uberti Top Break, but I can verify that with the originals, no matter how fast the hammer drops, once it is down all the way it stayed down until cocked again.

Except for the New Model Number Three.

These actually had a rebounding hammer.

Here is the hammer of a New Model Number Thee at full cock.

hammerfullcock.jpg

Here is the hammer at 'half cock'. With the hammer in this position the gun can be opened because the cut in the hammer is free of the ledge on the latch.

hammerhalfcock.jpg

I am forcing the hammer forward with my thumb in this photo, simulating the hammer position as a cartridge fires.

hammerdown.jpg

In this photo I have let go of the hammer and it has sprung back slightly. notice the sear has popped into a tiny notch at the bottom of the hammer. This was probably S&W's idea to make the gun safe to carry with six rounds in it. However notice how tiny the notch is that has captured the sear. It would not take much of a blow to the hammer to shear off something, so just like a Colt, I only load five into my antique S&W Top Breaks, and keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

hammeratrest.jpg

Archived