SASS Wire Forum

Time for another military question

Alpo

How long after you retire can they recall you to the service?

Alternative history story. In 1981 our hero is medically retired from the Army. It is  now 2000, and our hero is running as George Bush's vice presidential candidate.

Clinton tells the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to tell the Chief of Staff of the Army to recall our hero so he can be court-martialed for something or other.

1981 to 2000 is 19 years. Could they recall him back to the Army after 19 years?

In the NCIS episode about the Mummy's Curse, Kate was threatening to have the woman recalled eight years after she got out, and I thought THAT was a stretch. But NINETEEN??:o

Short answer - if you are over 60 or have been out for more than 5 years, Uncle Sugar will probably leave you alone.  The truth of the matter is a bit more complicated - military retirees can be recalled for life or longer if there is a declared state of emergency.   If you are an Infantryman collecting disability - they probably have no use for you in the field but even then - you could certainly work on a garrison staff somewhere that allows the garrison to push uniformed members OUT of the office and back into the field.

Obviously every situation is different but Title-10 of the US code gives the government the ability to recall a retiree for an indefinite period of time during a declared state of national emergency.  When they do recall someone, it generally is only for a a max of 1 or 2 years but consider the case of General Peter J. Schoomaker - he was retired and then recalled to active duty to serve as the Army Chief of Staff and served from 2003 until 2007.  

Lots of loopholes to navigate when it comes to dealing with the government and the US Code

Yep no cut and dried answer. In the Navy you can "retire" after 20 years of service but you are actually transfered to the Fleet Reserve for another 10 years until you have a combied total of 30 years. As a member of the Fleet Reserve you can be recalled back to active duty due to a national emergency.

I believe there were some in the medical fields that got recalled to fill stateside vacancies so others could be deployed in suport of Middle East operations.

The Navy also recalled individuals when they recommissioned the Iowa class battleships in the late 70s and early 80s.  Those folks trained younger sailors on the finer points of maintaining and operating an Iowa class battleship. Besides the obvious need for first hand knowledge of maintaining, loading and firing the 16" guns. The Navy lacked the skills needed to efficently operate a large number of the original ships systems like the power plants and fire control systems. IIRC those that did come back volunteered to do so. A few were active duty but the vast majority were well paid civilian hired contractors.

No matter the branch of military you enlist in, the minimum enlistment period is 8 years. There are rules for how it is served as a combination of Active Duty, Active Reserve and Inactive Reserve but your enlistment contract is for a total of 8 years. 

I beleive when the Army was recalling soldiers for the Gulf War the term for this was Stop-Gap. Lots of people were very unhappy at being recalled and a couple of lawsuits were filed but in the end they lost.  Hollyweird even made a movie about it. 

Officers can be recalled up to 10 years after discharge. Reason being that officers' commissions stayed in place after your active duty and inactive reserve time. At least that's the way it was when I left in 1970. In 1981 I breathed a sigh of relief. ;)

Generally enlisted men weren't subject to recall after their enlistment commitment had ended because they were then officially civilians.

If I had retired as enlisted I would have been subject to recall for 10 years after retirement.  As an officer I am subject to recall up to the age of 70. I've never been to worried about being recalled,  I was too much of a pain.  They wouldn't want me back. 

BS

32 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

If I had retired as enlisted I would have been subject to recall for 10 years after retirement.  As an officer I am subject to recall up to the age of 70. I've never been to worried about being recalled,  I was too much of a pain.  They wouldn't want me back. 

BS

Ditto. I ‘spect I’m at the bottom of the list.

If they recall me, y’all are in serious trouble. :lol:

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

For commissioned officers, you can legally be recalled for life.  As someone mentioned, it isn't altogether very likely.

They have to return you to duty at your highest rank, I'm told. Who the hell would want a 77 year old Ordnance Captain with a bad legs and a bad attitude?  I figure I'm safe.

Once they saw me try to climb the front slope of a tank they would tell me to go back home. If they hadnt already court martialed me for insubordination.

Imis  and Im over 70

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

They have to return you to duty at your highest rank, I'm told. Who the hell would want a 77 year old Ordnance Captain with a bad legs and a bad attitude?  I figure I'm safe.

It does happen.  During my assignment at the Pentagon there were several Lieutenant Colonels who were "retiree recalls."  They had only retired within the past few years, and so were within the normal age range for their rank,  and had volunteered for the duty.  On a retiree recall, you cannot get promoted, cannot earn a PCS award, and don't even receive an annual evaluation.  You ARE on active duty, however, and therefore receive all other pay and benefits, and are required to wear the uniform correctly and conform to grooming standards.  I don't recall if they have to take a PT test or not.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

It does happen.  During my assignment at the Pentagon there were several Lieutenant Colonels who were "retiree recalls."  They had only retired within the past few years, and so were within the normal age range for their rank,  and had volunteered for the duty.  On a retiree recall, you cannot get promoted, cannot earn a PCS award, and don't even receive an annual evaluation.  You ARE on active duty, however, and therefore receive all other pay and benefits, and are required to wear the uniform correctly and conform to grooming standards.  I don't recall if they have to take a PT test or not.

Are the standards different for Reserve and RA commissioned officers?

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I think you’re safe. About the only ordnance you had that’s not now obsolete is small arms.

23 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

For commissioned officers, you can legally be recalled for life.  As someone mentioned, it isn't altogether very likely.

Yep...

I know when I retired(2006 with over 24 years), I was informed I was on the hook for 10 more years if needed, which was highly unlikely.  

Now if the reason for the recall was for a crime commented while in uniform, then that may be a possibility, but I would have thought the statue of limitations would be a factor.

16 minutes ago, Clueless Bob said:

I know when I retired(2006 with over 24 years), I was informed I was on the hook for 10 more years if needed, which was highly unlikely.  

Now if the reason for the recall was for a crime commented while in uniform, then that may be a possibility, but I would have thought the statue of limitations would be a factor.

In regards to nonjudicial punishment, under Article 15, the accused cannot be punished if the offense was committed more than two years from the date of the Article 15 action.

For court-martials, the statute of limitations is five years, except for any offense where the maximum permissible punishment is death, and for absent without leave (AWOL) or missing movement in time of war. In such cases, there are no statute of limitations.

Certain circumstances can extend the statute of limitations. For example, periods in which the accused was absent from territory in which the United States has the authority to apprehend him, or AWOL "fleeing justice," or in the custody of civil authorities, or in the hands of the enemy, are excluded in computing the period of limitation.

regards to nonjudicial punishment, under Article 15, the accused cannot be punished if the offense was committed more than two years from the date of the Article 15 action.

For court-martials, the statute of limitations is five years, except for any offense where the maximum permissible punishment is death, and for absent without leave (AWOL) or missing movement in time of war. In such cases, there are no statute of limitations.

Certain circumstances can extend the statute of limitations. For example, periods in which the accused was absent from territory in which the United States has the authority to apprehend him, or AWOL "fleeing justice," or in the custody of civil authorities, or in the hands of the enemy, are excluded in computing the period of limitation.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep no cut and dried answer. In the Navy you can "retire" after 20 years of service but you are actually transfered to the Fleet Reserve for another 10 years until you have a combied total of 30 years. As a member of the Fleet Reserve you can be recalled back to active duty due to a national emergency.

I believe there were some in the medical fields that got recalled to fill stateside vacancies so others could be deployed in suport of Middle East operations.

The Navy also recalled individuals when they recommissioned the Iowa class battleships in the late 70s and early 80s.  Those folks trained younger sailors on the finer points of maintaining and operating an Iowa class battleship. Besides the obvious need for first hand knowledge of maintaining, loading and firing the 16" guns. The Navy lacked the skills needed to efficently operate a large number of the original ships systems like the power plants and fire control systems. IIRC those that did come back volunteered to do so. A few were active duty but the vast majority were well paid civilian hired contractors.

No matter the branch of military you enlist in, the minimum enlistment period is 8 years. There are rules for how it is served as a combination of Active Duty, Active Reserve and Inactive Reserve but your enlistment contract is for a total of 8 years. 

I beleive when the Army was recalling soldiers for the Gulf War the term for this was Stop-Gap. Lots of people were very unhappy at being recalled and a couple of lawsuits were filed but in the end they lost.  Hollyweird even made a movie about it. 

Stop-loss. I know this cuz I was one LOL.

By July 1990 I was in the Individual Ready Reserves after leaving my last unit, a correctional unit here in the valley as it happened because that was all there was for an MP unless I wanted to go National Guard which I didn't. Whn you're IRR you only drill once a year, two weeks plus a day or two for physical testing and whatknot. My detailer at ARPERCEN called me up to process my re-enlistment and set up my two weeks for that year. I was angling for someplace nice like....Hawaii. He kept offering me garden spots like Fort Sill, Ft Drum.....and then said in a week it wouldn't matter I'd probably be on a C-141 heading for the sandbox.

Huh....whut? LOL

He explained the stop-loss. See, for certain mission critical MOS's they slap that sucker on you and SHAZZAM, you be GREEN again. Whatsa matter boy, doncha watch the news? You didn't see this coming??

LOL, as it happened, an MP with a secondary correcttions MP MOS which was a double-whammy; Guess who was the advance teams? Clear roadways do convoy duty, get ever-body where they was supposed to go? Yeah. MP's. And who's gonna guard all them POW's? Yeah, MP's. And  with that corrections thing, and I worked in the jails for the S.O before going to patrol so....I was you might say a hot comodity as it were. The day after I got the stop-loss I got ANOTHER big brown Army envelope. Inside was an honorable discharge.

Er....whut? (seems I forgot all about that re-up paperwork...)

So I called the guy. Stop loss was dated day AFTER the discharge so I was golden. He did enquire about the possibility of me completing my re-enlistment since I WAS within the window but he got real quiet when I explained that I had a disabled daughter and with the (now EX) wife working that presented other problems I knew the Army couldn't solve.

That's when I got the First Sergeant's voice and the speech that started out with "listen here boy...don't do nothin' stupid because" explaining my responsibilities to God, Country, Army and FAMILY, were not necessarily in that order.

And he was right. So there was no volunteering for me, no matter how much I might have wanted to. I remember back then getting a different kind of speech from another First Sergeant about RESPONSIBILITIES.

I think they was brothers or cousins or something.

By the by I saw that movie...didn't care for it.

Archived