SASS Wire Forum

Ithaca/SKB 100 12 gauge what's it worth?

Thunder Creek Kid

I've got a chance to buy an Ithaca/SKB 26" barrels, nice wood no cracks, modified/improved cylinder.

For $799.00 plus tax from a little gun store. What's it worth? And what would I have to do to it to make it

run ok? Should the barrels be cut, would the inertia firing pins have to be altered? Or could I leave as is and shoot it?

Yes, go buy it; these are getting really hard to find for less than $1200. I'll let others comment on barrel length and inertia vs mechanical, but they can all benefit from an action job.

Any SKB 12 gauge that is in good shape that you can find for less than $1,000 is a good deal around these parts.  Cowboy Action Shooting has really driven up the price on these shotguns.

I have been lucky enough to find two SKB's at that price a couple of years ago but not lately. Jump on it and send it to Fast Eddie in Georgia. He'll make it sing like the fat lady.

I paid $1150 and $1250 for the last two I bought. Snap it up. 

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

It was advice from Johnny Meadows years ago, he said they are much stronger, and hold up to CAS use better. The double lug is the one in the back

6203C3EC-1A90-404B-8B32-4882601444AA.jpeg

I’ve been running a single lug for eight years. It hasn’t lead an easy life in my hands and is still tight. 

Where were all of these buyers at $1,000 to $1,200 a few weeks ago when I had an Ithaca/SKB Model 100 in almost new condition listed at $850 and finally let it go at $825 shipped?  

6 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

Where were all of these buyers at $1,000 to $1,200 a few weeks ago when I had an Ithaca/SKB Model 100 in almost new condition listed at $850 and finally let it go at $825 shipped?  

Yours was a 20 gauge, 98% of us wouldn't have a 20 gauge.

15 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yours was a 20 gauge, 98% of us wouldn't have a 20 gauge.

Got it.  Can't understand the lack of love on here for 20 gauge, but it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

Got it.  Can't understand the lack of love on here for 20 gauge, but it is what it is.

My son started with a 20ga Stoeger, he liked it OK, but we never could find a load that recoiled less than my 12 gauge guns. I'd say ammunition and higher recoil are the biggest reasons.

I've picked up SKB's for $700 or less in recent years, but not on websites checked by people every few minutes. I bought a pristine 100 at an Ohio Gun Collectors show last year for $700 and a fully set up for CAS model 100 at a local gun shop a couple of years ago for $425. The gunshop had bought a bunch of guns from an estate and the SKB's (there were two) were simply nice guns that someone had f'd up as far as the gunshop was concerned. They can still be found, but you have to look. A friend bought the other for $400 but mine was nicer.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

My son started with a 20ga Stoeger, he liked it OK, but we never could find a load that recoiled less than my 12 gauge guns. I'd say ammunition and higher recoil are the biggest reasons.

Fiocchi makes a reduced power target load that is reasonably priced and is very smooth- that is what my 12 year old son is using (I use it too).

Archived