SASS Wire Forum

Newb Leather Questions

Frontiermann

Howdy, I am just getting started in this sport and need some help with choosing leather. I plan to go to my first event later this summer, and want to try to get as much squared away by then as I can or should. I will probably go with a pair of Cimarron 1873 5.5" revolvers, is that all I would need to know to get holsters and belt? Or do they usually need measurements? Who are some good makers? If it makes a difference I want something very traditional, 1870s timeframe, no fancy stitching, conchos, or engraving. Oh and I'm in the Denver area if there is anyone local I should check out. Thanks y'all!

Welcome again.

Go ahead and go to a match. That way you can look at a lot of options and try out guns. 

Look up @Grizzly Dave on YouTube. He lives out there and can point you in the right direction.

I highly recommend taking a look here. http://www.westernleatherholster.com/

You might get some ideas that fit your taste. I finally ordered my dream leather after many years. Alan is easy to talk to and did awesome work. Guns fit like a glove. There is a wait so you would most likely start next season with a new rig if ordered by summers’s end. 

I can’t say enough about my gear. 

Taking it out this weekend for the maiden voyage. 

Howdy Frontierman!

Lots of clubs in the Denver and northern Colorado area.  Any of them would love to welcome you and will make you feel at home.  Don't feel like you have to have all your gear before you come out, we'd love to have you visit and watch and ask lots of questions, and don't be surprised if we encourage you to try a stage.

If you have time on this Sunday, the Sand Creek Raiders are having a new shooters clinic near Byers.  All guns and ammo are provided for a modest fee.  The even flyer can be found HERE.

Annual matches are also a good place to go look around, and often will have swap and sell tables where you might find a decent starter rig that won't break the bank, then after you shoot cowboy a while, you'll better know what you want and can have a rig tailor made for you.

There are several annuals coming up in the next few weeks.

My home club Pawnee Station's annual is July 5-7 near Nunn, Colorado.  The flyer for the match can be found HERE.  PM me if you're planning on coming and I'll find out when the swap and sell will be going on.  You're also welcome to visit our monthly match on the 3rd Saturdays of each month, info is on our website  If you have any questions, let me know.

The Border Vigilantes up in Cheyenne have their annual June 27-30.  You can find out info on their website.   Assassin would be the contact for the BV, he's on the forum regularly and I think his contact info is on the BV website.

Again, howdy and welcome!

Grizz

HERE is a listing of all the Colorado clubs.  There are two not on the list as they aren't SASS affiliated, one in Boulder, 2nd Saturday and one in Wellington 1st Saturday 

5 minutes ago, Frontiermann said:

Thanks all, I'm going to check out your suggestions.

@Grizzly Dave I might be able to make it to that Pawnee Station annual shoot. Will pm ya about the swap and sale date.

Go, go ,go, go. Camp on the range and eat the world-famous BBQ. I did last year and had a blast! Great time and great folks.

As a leather maker, I would agree with the idea of going to a match first to see what's going on before you spend a lot of money on a rig.  Next to guns,  a good rig will be your next big expense.  You've probably have already heard that you should try several different sets of pistols, different rifles and shotguns before you buy.  Many new shooters purchase everything before shooting and wind up realizing they really like something different than they originally purchased.  Many of us have learned this the hard way.

You can find some used stuff to get started.  In fact, I guarantee you that if you go to a few local shoots, someone will loan you an extra set of holsters, gun belt, and shotgun slides for free until you determine what is the best set up for you.  A little time spent studying your options will save you hundreds of dollars in regret.

Welcome to a great sport and be prepared to meet new people that will become some of your best friends.

I started this year also and as I read your post I was surprised no one said this - don't buy a cheap rig.  I did and I'm on my second rig this year!  You'll need measurements for your pistol belt and waist measurement for your shotshell belt.  Another thing that happened to me was on my first rig I got a cross draw type and it was ok but then someone lent me a strong side rig and I liked it much better.  The point is if you can try each out first, if you can't then if you can afford it buy 3 holsters 2 strong side and 1 cross draw, that way if you change your mind later you can just switch out the holster.  You're going to get different recommendations from almost everyone here and there are many fine, fine holster makers.  The guy that made mine is Stockyard Johnnie Red (I found him on Facebook) and he's also a SASS shooter so he knows what we need and like.  He works with you and can help get you what you need and want.  Probably the biggest plus with him besides the quality is that he quotes in weeks not months.  I think it took him 3 weeks from when I placed the order and I'm very happy with the quality.  Give Stockyard a call and I think you'll be surprised.

Good luck pard, happy trails and I hope you enjoy the game as much as the rest of us.

You want to be able to draw and reholster quickly and safely.  Your body shape is a major factor in doing those two things.  Go  to a match or two, find a really good fast shooter who is built like you and see what he uses.

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Whatever you do, please by your rig from a maker that understands the game of CAS.

A good "western" rig won't cut it.

Phantom

^^^^^^^ This!!! And I will also add that it helps if they’re somewhat a truly competitive cowboy shooter. They may make great period correct, legal equipment but it may not be competitive. 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Tombstone Knights Leather makes fantastic CAS leather. Made to order and takes about 6 weeks.

Made rigs for many World and National Champs ;)

Phantom

X2!

Call Nick and he will work with you.

http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/products.html

OLG

What hasn’t been mentioned yet is $$$. I STRONGLY suggest you don’t try to pinch pennies on leather. High quality leather won’t win you any matches but low quality leather sure can lose them. 

Also, think about how much $$$ you’re sinking into those pistols. Do you really want to trust them to a cheap set of holsters? Even if you have to wait a while to save up your money, it’s well worth the extra time.

I'm pretty new as well and another one from the go to a match or two first camp.  I did and am really glad I did.  I was able to try a few things and settle on what fit me best. 

As to the original topic...  I used Reddog Leather and am very happy with the rig he made me.  Awesome quality, understands CAS, quick turn around, and really reasonable prices.  Happy enough with his work that I finally ordered a matching shotgun belt after borrowing a few to see what I preferred as far as layout.  I'll go back for more holsters when I get my C&B pistols too.  A lot of folks here use and love Mernickle too.  I think the only wrong answer really is going cheap.

And dont forget a good hat. Welcome to the game. I struggled with less expensive leather for about a year and a half until I knew exactly what I wanted and could afford it. Still using it 15 years later.

Imis

On 6/7/2019 at 9:42 AM, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

^^^^^^^ This!!! And I will also add that it helps if they’re somewhat a truly competitive cowboy shooter. They may make great period correct, legal equipment but it may not be competitive. 

yep.....Doc Noper is another whose work definitely fits among the best holster makers.

Quality rigs will last a decade or more and will save you money in the long run. Sometimes you can find good used rigs for substantial savings. 

3 hours ago, Go West said:

Quality rigs will last a decade or more and will save you money in the long run. Sometimes you can find good used rigs for substantial savings. 

A quality rig will out last you-IF you care for it correctly.

We are still using the same rigs(Knights Leather)we bought 16+ yrs ago.

OLG

I've been quite satisfied with my rig from Kirkpatrick, but Ellie had hers built by Johnny Ross of J-M leather.

http://www.jm-leather.com/index.htm

He and his wife shoot CAS and spent a bit of time on the phone with Ellie designing her rig. Ellie is quite happy with it. J-M's prices are very good as well and the quality is excellent. JMHO He has nice cart holsters and badge holders as well.

[Note: This is NOT a solicitation for business!]  One thing to be absolutely certain of when ordering a belt, regardless of the holsters, is giving the maker a correct belt measurement.  Your pants size WILL NOT DO!  Get a dressmaker's tape and get the actual measurement around your waist where you are going to wear the belt!  If you plan to wear the belt around the outside of a jacket or coat, as well as just around your pants, give that measurement to whomever you are ordering from, too!  I would definitely agree that you go to a match or two, and see what style rig (holsters and belt) you like.  A crossdraw holster riding high on the belt may be just fine...unless you are...ahem...a bit bigger around than you can confortably reach.  Some folks advocate a shoulder rig of some persuasion (like the Huckleberry rig Doc Holiday was wearing in Tombstone).  Years of experience in designing rigs for folks packing heavy handguns for hours has led me to recommend against them for reasons of comfort!  But there are folks who swear by them.  Regardless of what you pick, don't buy cheap!  If your guns are blued you may want to consider linings in the holsters. The best lining material is topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun, and will cost extra.  But understand, the holster must contact the gun at least at six or seven points to fit properly. When you draw and re-holster a gun, you will get bluing wear at these points!  Stainless steel guns...save your money!  Holsters should fit the guns properly.  To do this, the leather must be wet-fit to the gun.  Most makers will do this for you, but may leave the holster a little snug, so that you can do the final fitting (given the proper instructions).

Having said all that,

Welcome to the Campfire, Pard!

Your obedient servant,

From my experience:

• Fighting with a cheap set of holsters sucks! 
  • If your budget does not allow for a rig from a leather maker that know CAS/SASS, wait until your budget does!  
  • Know what pistols you will end up with before you order holsters.  Fit matters when moving quickly
    • Example, you but holsters for 4.5" barrels then buy 5.5", the front sight could hang out the bottom of the holster and impede drawing.
    • Incorrect pistol fill can result in dumping a pistol when moving from one location to the next (this I know from experience).
  • If you can afford it and you are not sure how you like shoot, get a cross-draw holster and 2 double strong sides.  You may want to change after a few months/years
  • If you are dead set on B-Western this will dictate the style of holster you will need.
  • No need for a bunch of ammo loops across the back of the belt, just adds weight when you fill them with bullets.
  • I prefer the buckle in the back since I wear my holsters two fists apart in the front.
    • A ranger cut belt makes this hard to pull off, so I put the buckle in the back.
  • I like a holster that had a tension device so that it stays put on the gunbelt (does not slide back and forth) this helps keep the holster where I expect it to be on re-holster
  • I also like a bullet slide on my gunbelt for rifle reloads vs. pulling the reload from the shotgun belt.  But this will be a personal decision you will make with experience.

We all have our opinions of who makes the best holster for each of us, so I will leave that up to others to recommend.

Hope it helps...

Totes

Archived