SASS Wire Forum

Alaska 2019

Thought I'd start a new thread about our trip. We had some minus tides the last few days and we went clamming yesterday on a -4' tide at about noon. Went 25 miles across the bay to some tidal flats. These razor clams are fast diggers. When you start to dig the sand, they dig even deeper, fast. Worked my 77 year old butt off! Got plenty, so there will be some great eating ahead. Absolutely stunning scenery too!

2019-6-6 Alaska 014.JPG

2019-6-6 Alaska 017.JPG

2019-6-6 Alaska 019.JPG

2019-6-6 Alaska 034.JPG

2019-6-6 Alaska 035.JPG

Those pictures are making me want to head up your way again.

Of all the cruises, tours and camping trips we've done over the years, Alaska is near the top.

Wen to the processor yesterday to check on my halibut and clams. They weighed everything and it looks like I have 3# left to fill the 50# box for airline shipment home to Colorado. We found some wonderful prawns that were to die for on the BBQ, so on Monday I'll buy #3 of them to fill it up. Going to be some great eating at home for sure.

14 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

More pictures, PLEASE......:D

OLG

I'll download and edit some more tonight.

30 minutes ago, El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942 said:

Living the dream Roger, love the pics!  Carry on..

Thanks Ken, we've really been having fun. Great scenery, fishing and food! The only thing is when we planned the trip, I didn't think about the Revenge shoot and I'll miss it as we get home on Father's Day. Have a good shoot my friend.

Some more pictures. #1 Russian Orthodox Church at Ninilchik; #2 Cabin we are staying in; #3 cleaning clams; #4 another view of cabin; #5 sand spit at Homer.

We are going to Seward Tuesday to go on a tour of the glaciers...more pix later

2019 6-8-2019 Alaska 011.JPG

2019 6-8-2019 Alaska 011.JPG

2019 6-8-2019 Alaska 003.JPG

2019_6-8-2019_Alaska_009.JPG

2019 6-8-2019 Alaska 019.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Home now after 27 wonderful days in Alaska. We want to go again this time a little farther north in Fairbanks. If anyone want s know more about the Kenai, Seward or Homer, I can help. PM me.

Big Sage,   Glad you enjoyed Alaska and you went "North to the Future"!  I was stationed at Eielson AFB (North a few miles from Fairbanks) in 1968. Fairbanks was wild and wide open,  as this was before the pipeline. First time I got to see folks walking down the main drag openly carrying! I took my Wife back in 1915 for three weeks and in 2005 we drove our Motorhome up there on the Alcan. That was a three month adventure. Great Country for sure.    Cheers, Hoss C.

44 minutes ago, Hoss Carpenter said:

Big Sage,   Glad you enjoyed Alaska and you went "North to the Future"!  I was stationed at Eielson AFB (North a few miles from Fairbanks) in 1968. Fairbanks was wild and wide open,  as this was before the pipeline. First time I got to see folks walking down the main drag openly carrying! I took my Wife back in 1915 for three weeks and in 2005 we drove our Motorhome up there on the Alcan. That was a three month adventure. Great Country for sure.    Cheers, Hoss C.

Wow. 90 years between visits seem too long. :P

Course, Fairbanks wasn't much back in '15 seems like there were more saloons than you could shake a stick at but my memory isn't what it used to be.

3 hours ago, El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942 said:

Did you get to visit the Salty Dawg in Homer?  Plaster a dollar bill on the wall..

We get there and did leave a crisp dollar on the wall.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, Red Eye Jim said:

You made your wife use the shovel?  Get her a gun man.  My wife is absolute fiend with hers.

Is that a real gun or a clam gun?  Yep, there is such a thing.  Used them to get gooey duck (can't spell it the way it is meant to be) clams when I lived up Seattle-Tacoma way.

10 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

We get there and did leave a crisp dollar on the wall.

Ain’t no good visit to the Salty Dawg till you’ve been thrown out!

They are completely different. The large meaty foot is tenderized and coated with egg/breadcrumb and fried. The other meat we use to make chowder with. They are delicious!:wub:

I prefer clams to oysters any day. Yum!

When I was a teen and living in southern California, I used to snorkel dive and get lots of Abalone. For those of you that have never eaten Abs, they are the best shellfish I have ever tasted. The Conch that they get in the Gulf of Mexico is close and so are clams. Like most shellfish it is easy to overcook them and they get real rubbery. I cook the clams in a 600 degree cast iron skillet for about a minute a side. My mouth is watering just thinking about them! LOL

Conch Fritters are awesome if they are done right!

Archived