SASS Wire Forum

The good and the bad...luck, that is. UPDATE, scroll down

Pat Riot

A week and a half ago I miss calculated the last step going from our upper deck to the lower one while carrying 2 gal of water and went down an landed just below the right shoulder.  Ended up with a torn muscle between the elbow and shoulder.   I can carry weight if the arm is hanging straight down  or lower arm when parallel to the ground.  Can't lift weight above the waist.  It's coming along and should be back to normal in about 2 weeks.  I'm leaving in a couple of hours for a weekend black powder muzzle loading shoot.  I have to use my stand up cross sticks, ram the ball down with my left hand, place the rifle barrel on the cross sticks, lower the gun and I can prime the pan with my bum arm, then raise it up with my left hand, cock it and fire. with my right arm.  I'm going to have to lower my powder load to 30 grs and hold the rifle butt away from my right shoulder otherwise the recoil will be murder.  If that doesn't work I will shoot from my left side.  I will take an Advil and A 535 and hope for the best.  I won't be competing of course, I'll follow behind on the trail walk and see how far I can go.  I would stay home but, I also enjoy the company of the other black powder shooters .  We camp/RV right on site.  We will see how the shooting goes.  Let you know Monday how it turned out.  

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Pat come to the dark side the recoil may be more to your liking. and don't worry God watches over fools and drunks. :P

Seriously we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

:lol:

Ah, but I tried the dark side. My lungs don’t like it. I may have to give up on Duelist. We’ll see. ;)

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol:

Ah, but I tried the dark side. My lungs don’t like it. I may have to give up on Duelist. We’ll see. ;)

You have to learn to stand upwind. :rolleyes:

Bummer trails Pat, Prayers up for good experience with the surgery. Hope all goes well and you heal quickly. Wishing best of luck.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:51 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Life is funny. Good things happen and invariably something bad seems to have to come along too. Actually, the “bad” in my case has been coming for quite a while...

I am so stoked about my USS Constitution cruise but at the same time I am a bit sad.

My right wrist is finally telling me, quite painfully, that I need to have that surgery that I have put off for so long.

After my last CAS match it took me week of Ibuprofen and nursing it to get the pain to subside. Over the weekend I was going to go to the range so I was getting my gear together and picked up my S&W 19, checked that it was unloaded, closed the cylinder and cocked the hammer and BAM! A lightning bolt of pain shot up my arm. I darn near dropped my revolver. A mortal sin! :o Well, not really but in my book it should be.:D

I quickly put it back in the safe and grabbed one of my Vaqueros, checked it, then cocked the hammer and, gee, wouldn’t ya know it, the same thing happened. And yes, I did expect a different outcome.

It also hurts to operate my lever guns. :( I can’t even thumb back the hammer on my Henry Single Shot.

“A man has got to know his limitations”

Another thing that I have discovered this week is that it appears that the Ibuprofen that has kept me sane since my bike crash nearly 2 years ago (when I should have had my wrist addressed) is messing with my guts. I won’t go into details on the symptoms but I need to stop taking it.

I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor next week. He’s got a great reputation. He’s the doctor that surgeons go to when they have hand and wrist problems. 

Needless to say, until I get my wrist fixed I will not be doing any Cowboy Action Shooting, or any other shooting. :( Well, right handed any way. :)

I can still ride my motorcycle but that is also getting to be too painful. 

Take care of your joints folks.

So sorry to hear this! I hope you get to feeling better!

Maybe Cowboy airsoft is in your future? :P

Pat, Sorry to hear about the surgery.  Prayers up for a complete recovery.

I have severe arthritis in my right shoulder so I had to teach myself how to shoot left handed.  It took some work but I was able to do it.  Believe me, If I can do it, anyone can.  It just takes that awful word called practice.  The good thing is, you can dry fire your long guns while learning how to site them in, in the comfort of your own house.  That's how I practiced before I went to a range.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

3 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you. I will. :)

It’s funny, I can shoot semiauto pistols and DA revolvers left handed and can actually hit a target but I have to do it one handed. As soon as I try two hands it all (safely) falls apart. That includes long guns. Actually, especially long guns. I guess I will have to practice cocking a hammer and firing left handed with my CAS revolvers. I think I can get away with shooting long guns right handed but I think I will hold off until I get the nerve tests done and see what the doctor says.

Nah, I think I will hit the range and get s head-start on left handed shooting with my Vaqueros. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Pat,

You mentioned nerve tests. I hope they are not doing a nerve biopsy. Hubby had one in his calf and frequently gets excruciating pain in that spot. He wishes he'd never let the doctor do it.

Take care,

Allie

No. It’s the conductivity test where they test the nerves from the shoulder to the fingers. I hear it hurts but that’s okay. I can deal with that. 

On 6/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

A week and a half ago I miss calculated the last step going from our upper deck to the lower one while carrying 2 gal of water and went down an landed just below the right shoulder.  Ended up with a torn muscle between the elbow and shoulder.   I can carry weight if the arm is hanging straight down  or lower arm when parallel to the ground.  Can't lift weight above the waist.  It's coming along and should be back to normal in about 2 weeks.  I'm leaving in a couple of hours for a weekend black powder muzzle loading shoot.  I have to use my stand up cross sticks, ram the ball down with my left hand, place the rifle barrel on the cross sticks, lower the gun and I can prime the pan with my bum arm, then raise it up with my left hand, cock it and fire. with my right arm.  I'm going to have to lower my powder load to 30 grs and hold the rifle butt away from my right shoulder otherwise the recoil will be murder.  If that doesn't work I will shoot from my left side.  I will take an Advil and A 535 and hope for the best.  I won't be competing of course, I'll follow behind on the trail walk and see how far I can go.  I would stay home but, I also enjoy the company of the other black powder shooters .  We camp/RV right on site.  We will see how the shooting goes.  Let you know Monday how it turned out.  

I got 8 shots off before I had to quit but, I enjoyed the company and the camping so, it wasn't a total loss.  Going to a cowboy shoot this coming weekend and will have to shoot all guns from the hip.  But, hey, if Lucas McCain can do it, so can I. :)

On 6/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, Perro Del Diablo said:

I had conductivity test during couple weeks ago doesn't hurt much but weird when arm jumps around from electric pulse.

You are correct. I had the conductivity test and an EMG. That was weird. But no real pain.

I will know the results next week.

Archived