SASS Wire Forum

Total time sucks

Boomstick Bruce

I have to admit, I was one of the advocates for TT. I didn't know any better at the time. After quite a few matches and seeing the results of the switch to TT and hearing from the veterans of this sport, I have finally come to the realization I was wrong. Total time sucks. If you blow one stage, you can blow the whole match. One rifle jam, one dud pistol round, one dropped shotgun shell one procedural and you can drop from 1st to 5th... I say we go back to the old rank system...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will this round be?

31? 57? 99?

:D

Well, I really think it's just fine the way it is, it's just a game. Same game I played when I was a kid

many many years ago. I just enjoy the posse's, the gun smoke and the challenge of bettering my times.

I do my best to remember it a game! I'll ever spot all shooters 100 seconds per stage! It's just a game.

Just look at what politicians have done to there game!

Happy trail

Quick Draw Grandpaw 48525

Yes, you lose to the shooters who didn't blow any stages, have no rifle jams, had no dud pistol rounds, didn't drop shotgun shells, and had no procedurals.

Total time is the best and most fair way to go.

--Dawg

18 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Boombstick think you're on the wrong forum this is the classified

Rafe

Maybe he is trying to sell the idea?       GW  

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

One rifle jam, one dud pistol round, one dropped shotgun shell one procedural and you can drop from 1st to 5th...

That's true of any timing system. The big difference between rank and TT is that the stage in which you have your screw up is irrelevant. In rank scoring, screw up on a slow stage and it might not hurt you too bad. Screw up on a very fast stage and you could drop 100 or more rank points. Forget dropping form 1st to 5th. More like 20th or more

Let's beat this dead horse for about 20 pages just like the last time 

If the Match  organizers  would just give everybody a buckle in their shooters packet thete would be no need for any awards and

everyone could leave earlier . 

Think of how much fun this game would be if there were no timers and no scores recorded.

Now that I have stirred the pot and threw more wood on the fire ,I will sit back and watch

Have a good day all

6 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

Let's beat this dad horse for about 20 pages just like the last time 

If the Match  organizers  would just give everybody a buckle in their shooters packet thete would be no need for any awards and

Think of how much fun this game would be if there were no timers and no scores recorded.

Now that I have stirred the pot and threw more wood on the fire ,I will sit back and watch

Have a good day all

How do you know it's a dad horse? I thought it was a mare, but I wasn't about to search through the rotten flesh to find out

PLUS ONE to Prairie Dawg :D

Oh ... Wait .... I didn't really contribute.  Rank Points Sucked.  There IT IS.

Oh, back to PLUS ONE to Prairie Dawg.  PLUS ... It's basically simple.  Don't miss.  Don't trip and fall.  Don't drop yer guns.  Don't Fumble yer shotgun loading.  Don't have a Train Wreck and still expect to win.

Poor Baby   B)  

My last monthly match I was 2nd by 3 seconds. But was first in rank points. I think for that 1 match it should be rank points....  

actually, I prefer total time. Mostly because I ain’t smart enough to figure out how to shoot differently for a rank point match!

I'll second that Catlow.... I'm all about shootin and havin fun... worrying about time and how i place ain't fun to me !! 

If the others back out of the deal.......I'll take it as long it is the same old dead horse listed. Is shipping included or do you plan on kicking it all the way to Florida?

It's like bowling scores.

There is no award for getting the most strikes or most spares.

What was your total score?

Four strikes in a row gives you bragging rights ... but not if you miss two spares.

4 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Let's beat this dad horse for about 20 pages just like the last time 

Have a good day all

Step up to the bar!  Buckles for all!

Think of it this way.......You're in a gunfight, your gun jams, you get kilt, yer dead!

Every stage is a gunfight!;)

Total time is the way to go!!

6 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I have to admit, I was one of the advocates for TT. I didn't know any better at the time. After quite a few matches and seeing the results of the switch to TT and hearing from the veterans of this sport, I have finally come to the realization I was wrong. Total time sucks. If you blow one stage, you can blow the whole match. One rifle jam, one dud pistol round, one dropped shotgun shell one procedural and you can drop from 1st to 5th... I say we go back to the old rank system...

You need to practice them one shot reloads!  Several folks carry an extra mag with one round just for that.

and when you're shooting Cowboy, a pistol reload used to be fairly common... it's been a thing of the past for quite a few years, but it seems to be making a comeback.  Besides, you want to preserve that clean match dontcha?

6 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

That’s funny, I don’t care who you are.

Does anyone want more popcorn or another rootbeer?  This could be another loooonnnnng rerun from long ago......

9 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Does anyone want more popcorn or another rootbeer?  This could be another loooonnnnng rerun from long ago......

Yes Please, another large popcorn with the butter and salt layered. 

6 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

102° here today! 

Is this post about popcorn?

It could be.....

It all depends on yer perspective, if you feel it's one race, from the first shot on the 1st stage to the last shot on the last stage, then it's total time for you.  If you don't care how you place amongst your peers from one stage to the next, or that a 2nd place finish on stage one needn't mean the same as 2nd place on stage 3, 4, 5, or 10... then total time is for you.  Shoot as fast as you can possibly manipulate the guns, run as fast as you can, keep moving the targets closer, make every stage 10 pistol,  10 rifle & certainly no more than 4 shotgun,  preferably 2!

But, if stages vary, have variety in the gun sequences, distances where different skills play a part,  like how to actually sight... and think that 2nd place on EVERY stage should carry an equal value, then come up with a scoring system that accommodates that concept.  Because total time doesn't.  Look at the Volvo Ocean Race.  It's an around the world sailing race, covering more than 40,000 miles and takes months to complete.  At the completion of each leg (stage) the finishers are ranked, their score and time recorded, for ties in points are broken by time.  Hmmm, sound familiar?  

I agree, rank points ain't the greatest scoring system, but neither is total time... might as well start the timer on stage 1 and keep moving till you've fired your last shot on the last stage... 

Archived