SASS Wire Forum

Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro

Smoky Pistols

Thinking of upgrading my turret press and going with the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro with a bullet and case feeder( and my existing auto-disk powder measure).  Anyone have any experience with them that can tell me what you think?  AND before it even starts:

1) All my current stuff is Lee and I've been very happy, just want to go a bit faster

2) I know it doesn't have a powder check

3) I know I don't have enough money in the bank for all the same features on the blue one

4) If you absolutely, positively must recommend that I switch to the blue system, please clearly state why that is a better move than sticking with red. 

If you don't care what we think...

I have both a Lee Singe Stage and Classic Turret. Like them both a lot.

Personally I'd keep using the Turret and put $20 a week in a jar until I could buy a Dillon or a Hornady LnL. 

I don't think your less than intelligent.

Why ask the question if you don’t want to hear our opinion? Your mind is already made up.

10 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Why ask the question if you don’t want to hear our opinion? Your mind is already made up.

Actually, my "I don't care what you think" comment was directed towards those who always take the opportunity to point out how silly one is not to switch directly over to blue.

I will edit it to be "more friendly".

Hey Smoky! 

I bought an Auto Breech lock last year to replace the Pro 1000 I used for about 25 years.  I load .38LC, .38spl and 44-40 in BP sub and smokeless, and 45ACP.  I especially like the breech lock rings and bought extras to accommodate the various Lee dies.  I went ahead and upgraded to the newer auto-drum powder measure which allows me to preset measures for each caliber and easily change them out.  I use the old universal case feeder for .38 and 45ACP, but hand feed the 44-40 in the open stage #3.  The longer 44-40 case does not seem to feed as cleanly as the straight wall cases in the universal feeder.  I have an old bullet feed kit, but I couldn't get it to work smoothly so I now hand feed all bullets.  I started out with the new safety prime gadget, but had issues with it feeding primers right side up or at all, so now I hand feed primers too.  This may sound like a lot of hand feeding, but it actually runs pretty smoothly once set up.  I use a 3 die system and I can visually verify powder drop on stage 3 before the bullet feed.  Stage 4 sets bullet depth and crimp. I use lock rings on the first two dies and a standard ring on the last because of crowding from the larger lock rings.  It was definitely an ergonomic upgrade from the Pro 1000.  You will want to get the bullet bin(s) and the bench plate if you are mounting on an existing bench.  Also the Auto-Disk riser for the powder die.  All-in all I am happy with it and found it affordable.  I never came up with the extra for the blue machine either.  Take your time and you will get into a nice rhythm, reloading shouldn't be a horse race anyway.

I have the auto Breechlock Pro and really like it.

I get inconsistent throws from the Autodisk with Clays.  So I am check weighing every charge (peace of mind). I shoot fast and don't want to squib and create a dangerous and expensive situation.

I have heard the bullet feeder is not great with lead bullets(I would pass on this). Case feeder is great, no issues at all. 

I learned the hard way that you can make a lot of bad ammo quickly with a progressive. Having said that in my case I am now making great ammo with it just not quickly.

If you have a good Powder feeder that feeds your powder accurately you should be able to make Ammo quickly. 

You can look into the case as it advances to verify that there is powder in the case. 

Very smooth operation and positive stop at each station. 

I think I paid $107 for the press new. Couple of bucks for shell plates, case feeder and AutoDisk but Hard to beat the price. 

I also have a loadmaster and a lee breech lock single stage.  So I am a fan of the Lee Stuff. 

PM me if you want to discuss and I will give you a call. 

^^^^ That's what I've been doing for a month or so.  Should have looked for it first.  Thanks

If you use Hi-Tek coated bullets they will work well in the bullet feeder. Lubed bullets tend to gum up the works.

Check youtube for videos on how to make the bullet feeder more reliable.

Smokey, I bought a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro about a year ago.  I shoot 4 calibers (.45 Colt, 45 Schofield, .45ACP and 38W.C.F.).  I have the case feeder but no bullet feeder.  I use the Auto-Drum Powder measure.  I shoot Black Powder for cowboy and Smokeless Powder for wild bunch.  The rims on the 38W.C.F and 45 Schofield are just large enough to keep the cases from going through the case feeder.  The same would be true with the 44W.C.F (see Artie Fly's post).  I told Lee Precision about this and they agreed.

If you're loading multiple calibers, you would have the added expense of buying breech locks for each die for each caliber you shoot.  For me, that was 16 breech locks!

I personally would not buy another one.  I have been thinking about going back and using my Lee Turret Press.

@German Jim  That's as good point that I hadn't considered, even after watching the video.  Right now all I have that is breech lock is my  Lee Challenger, and while I will admit that is handy for a single stage press, I can't say its an added benefit on a multistage press.  I haven't missed that option at all on my Lee turret, but with that you either have to swap out dies or buy new turrets.  Either way, that bumps the cost of a set of dies up another 10-20 bucks.  I'm not sure which is better.  Keep in mind that I'm only loading one caliber, right now, but looking to branch out into others.  Currently my biggest issue is time, I want more bullets in less time. 

Archived