SASS Wire Forum

New 1873 Rifle

GunTotinDoc

Looking at buying a new 1873 rifle that's ready to run. Looking for feed back on who does a good job with rifles. I'm looking at a rifle from Jimmy Spurs is there any other suggestions. Thanks for the feed back

GunTotinDoc

Howdy, Doc!

Get a '73 from Cody Conaugher  at the Cowboy Shop in West Virginia.

Hassle-free shooting, super fast, and when you have hassle-free guns; you can really start to enjoy yourself and this sport!

All the best,

Mo

1 hour ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

Doc,

Lassiter does a good job and you shoot with him every month.

thanks for the input. thought about Lassiter. I think he has a back log of work. But I'll check with him. I have one of his rifles and it runs great it just has a lot of wear.

Have great personal experience with Long Hunter Supply and their race-ready rifles.  Jared knows his way around fast '73s.

Good luck, GJ

On 6/5/2019 at 10:43 AM, Slow Mo Dern said:

Get a '73 from Cody Conaugher  at the Cowboy Shop in West Virginia.

+1. Got mine from Cody. Very pleased.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, GunTotinDoc said:

thanks for the input. thought about Lassiter. I think he has a back log of work. But I'll check with him. I have one of his rifles and it runs great it just has a lot of wear.

Doc,

I have two rifles, a .357 and .45 Colt, that Tom did that I have been shooting for about twenty years. I haven't a clue how many tens of thousands of rounds have been through them. Over the years Tom has upgraded the links as shorter strokes became available. He has also worked on the internals as things wear i.e. hammer notches, cam surfaces, extractors, the little tab on the bottom of the bolt etc. Given the time you've been in the sport, I can't imagine anything so worn on your rifle that it can't be freshened up and made like new. I also like the fact that I don't have to ship a gun that needs repair or work. I once had a handspring break on one of my opentops the night before a big blackpowder match and ran it to Tom's house; he fixed it while I waited.

• 4 weeks later...

New guy here. I have an original Winchester 1873 32-20 rifle that needs some work.

Do any of these guys work on the old ones or just the current Ubertis, Winchesters etc.? 

Also, who sells parts for the original Winchester 1873s? 

Thank you

Original 73 parts - (from a reply made on May 12th to another pard)

usual suspects for antique or reproduced parts?   Gun Parts Corp (aka Numrich), NuLine Guns (they bought many of Winchester's gun parts when Win dumped them several years ago).  Jack First.   Joe Salter. Homestead Parts.  CFN Parts.  Ask at Winchester Collectors Organization site.    Winchester Bob (Bob's Gun Shop).  S&S Firearms. Dixie Gun Works.

Most gunsmiths will at least consider if they want to work on an original.

Lonnie at Run-N-Iron shop certainly will do so.

Good luck, GJ

I bought my Cody-Matic for the simple reason I live in a place with no phones and he answered e-mails promptly. I have had zero issues (knocks on wood) with the rifle and even for a slow poke like me the difference between the '73 and the Rossi '92 I started with is staggering. I suspect you will be happy with any of the folks mentioned, but that's my 2 cents.

13 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

ready to go Winchesters? 

You mean Miroku made lever guns?  Haven't heard of one, but I bet some would be willing to do so for the right price.   Pioneer Gunworks is Miroku knowledgeable for sure.

Many pards are finding the Mirokus are pretty well match ready from the factory.  Depends upon how fast you are, whether they are fast enough for you.  ;)  Other pards have said a couple of hours cleaning and deburring a few parts, and they started shooting with them.

Good luck, GJ

12 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You mean Miroku made lever guns? 

yes, sorry, should have clarified.  As a new shooter, I'm sure any gun would be good.

I'm still going thru the Uberti vs Miroku decision.  Read lots of posts and surprised the parts problem with the Miroku hasn't cleared up yet.  That being said, I'd really like to have something that says Winchester on it.  Silly, I know.....

1 minute ago, heckofagator said:

yes, sorry, should have clarified.  As a new shooter, I'm sure any gun would be good.

I'm still going thru the Uberti vs Miroku decision.  Read lots of posts and surprised the parts problem with the Miroku hasn't cleared up yet.  That being said, I'd really like to have something that says Winchester on it.  Silly, I know.....

I've heard they're good guns.  As you mentioned, parts are in short supply, so if you get one you better hope nothing breaks.

for winchester,,  CARTY is THE man!!

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I've heard they're good guns.  As you mentioned, parts are in short supply, so if you get one you better hope nothing breaks.

I think when people talk about parts supply, they are referring to after market parts like a short stroke kit. So far, the few instances I have heard of folks breaking anything, Winchester readily supplies the new part with no issues.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I think when people talk about parts supply, they are referring to after market parts like a short stroke kit. So far, the few instances I have heard of folks breaking anything, Winchester readily supplies the new part with no issues.

Maybe so. There was someone on the Wire not to long ago trying to get a hammer spring I believe, with no luck.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

Maybe so. There was someone on the Wire not to long ago trying to get a hammer spring I believe, with no luck.

Lightened after market maybe?

My preference based on actual experience is the Miroku Winchesters done by Cowboy Carty. Even with limited parts availability. No amount of available parts will get me to trust my match to a Uberti.

18 hours ago, heckofagator said:

do any of the smiths sell ready to go Winchesters?

A fellow in my home club had a Miroku Winchester with an action job by Cody.  You might try calling him and asking whether he can sell you one.

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

A fellow in my home club had a Miroku Winchester with an action job by Cody.  You might try calling him and asking whether he can sell you one.

I just got an uberti 66 back from him and am considering sending him my Miroku 73 because of the job he did. But then I look at the stroke and they are pretty close already. Not sure what else could be gained, other than some smoothness.

Archived