SASS Wire Forum

True Story -Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight

John Boy

A retired cop went back to his car in the parking lot at a local Los Angeles, CA Walmart after shopping

* He was approached by 3 Hispanics who asked him if he wanted to buy drugs

* His reply was No and then one of the Hispanics pulled a knife demanding all of his money

* He than said to the the Hispanics -

" I've been waiting 10 years to use this line"

as he reached behind his back for a concealed 9mm and then said to the 3 robbers.... "Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight"

* One of the Hispanics ran away and jumped over a concrete wall, breaking his leg hitting the store shipping/receiving area

* The cop held the other 2 at gun point against his car and dialed 911 on his cell phone

Police arrived and all three Hispanics went to jail

Basically a happy ending for all involved. Our good guy did not get robbed and the bad guys did not get shot in the face.

I seem to recollect a movie in which James Earl Jones was a cop in a big city.  He was off-duty or something, when these would be thugs come up to his car, demanding money.  I forget what their threat was, but first he takes off his watch and says, "You want this?"  Before they can answer, he pulls out his wallet and says, "You want this?"  Finally, he pulls out a revolver and says, "How about this?!"  The punks take off running! B)

Careful, now... some would be critical of "profiling"....  :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the time back in the 60's when Uncle Ralph had three "thugs" come up to his car and demand his wallet.  In those days he worked in sales for Olin; he reached under nis coat on the passenger seat and came out with a most impressIve Ramset gun.  He described the scene as instantly transformed from tense to "funny as hell" as the miscreants literally scrambled over each other to escape the Buck Rogers-ish weapon...

"So Uncle Ralph... wha'd these guys look like?"

"Well... they had brown eyes. BIG brown eyes!"  

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In those days he worked in sales for Olin; he reached under nis coat on the passenger seat and came out with a most impressIve Ramset gun.  He described the scene as instantly transformed from tense to "funny as hell" as the miscreants literally scrambled over each other to escape the Buck Rogers-ish weapon... 

Yeah, I can see that.

ramset-powder-actuated-tools-40088-64_10

There was a gun store in the Norfolk, VA area that had the guys behind the counter on a raised platform. Just a bit so they would have a better view. The place was in a strip mall and some guy just pops in and pulls out a knife and announced a robbery. They were armed and told him he should look around. I guess he decided it wasn't the right place to rob.

This is something that I had heard a long time ago but it was told to me and I had been in the store mentioned.

20 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Basically a happy ending for all involved. Our good guy did not get robbed and the bad guys did not get shot in the face.

Well.....one out of two. ;)

Archived